Tigers Nearing Deal With Javier Baez

RatkoVarda

Unless you were dead set on Correa its hard to not like this deal. 

I wanted Correa cause he is the superior player and its not my money but IF the Tigers reallocate the savings between the two elsewhere(not necessarily this offseason but at some point) this will probably end up being the better option for the franchise. 

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Wow, they like Baez' D better than Correa's, and the other 3 guys are not close according to them.  We will see, but that sounds promising.

If he remains a plus defender, he will be a great fit for the Tigers with their young staff.  I expect we won't be thrilled by his offense, but if he's a great defender, his power will be good enough.  

Edited by Tiger337

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If he remains a plus defender, he will be a great fit for the Tigers with their young staff.  I expect we won't be thrilled by his offense, but if he's a great defender, his offense will be good enough.  

I'll be waiting to see  at ST how all that sizzle gets along with the Tigers IF guru steak in the form of one Alan Trammell. In fact I wonder how much input Trammell had in this whole SS evaluation process. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'll be waiting to see  at ST how all that sizzle gets along with the Tigers IF guru steak in the form of one Alan Trammell. In fact I wonder how much input Trammell had in this whole SS evaluation process. 

Great point. And hopefully, Tram was an important part of it. As for Baez, his k numbers really stand out. But he does have power, I wonder if they can teach him to just make contact? And he'll be lowering our team ERA, for sure. He really can pick it. And let's everyone know...lol 

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think Baez will smile at him, and be polite and respectful to him!

36 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If he remains a plus defender, he will be a great fit for the Tigers with their young staff.  I expect we won't be thrilled by his offense, but if he's a great defender, his power will be good enough.  

So if you believe Fangraphs' assessment of defense, Baez has the advantage over Correa in defense, power, speed and durability.  Correa has the advantage in OBP (.356) and he is 2 years younger.  Correct?

14 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

So if you believe Fangraphs' assessment of defense, Baez has the advantage over Correa in defense, power, speed and durability.  Correa has the advantage in OBP (.356) and he is 2 years younger.  Correct?

I think Correa is a better overall hitter by a lot.  He gets on a lot more and Baez's edge in power is very slight.  Both are strong fielders.  I don't know which one is better defensively.  Correa has has trouble staying on the field.  I don't know if any of it is chronic in nature, but it's something to watch.  Without considering contracts, I like Correa a lot better.  If signing Baez gives them flexibility to add other players now and in the future, then it makes sense to sign him over Correa.   

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Me so happy. I can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said. This isn’t perfect but it’s extremely positive, and rooting for perfection is a waste of time. I just hope we have baseball this next year. 

Yeah, that's really the question, Bertie.    Not liking what I'm hearing.   What bothers me so much is that baseball has been sliding for a very long time and I don't know that it's truly recovered from 1994's dispute.    That might be part of it, along with the cost of attending a game, the lack of star recognition and many more distractions during the summer, but if they hold out for a really long time and we're not playing by June or later,  I think they'll do permanent damage to the game with a lot of people - and I don't think either side sees that, they seem to be in their own little bubbles and the fans have nothing to do with the game.    That's a dangerous way to think.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yeah, that's really the question, Bertie.    Not liking what I'm hearing.   What bothers me so much is that baseball has been sliding for a very long time and I don't know that it's truly recovered from 1994's dispute.    That might be part of it, along with the cost of attending a game, the lack of star recognition and many more distractions during the summer, but if they hold out for a really long time and we're not playing by June or later,  I think they'll do permanent damage to the game with a lot of people - and I don't think either side sees that, they seem to be in their own little bubbles and the fans have nothing to do with the game.    That's a dangerous way to think.   

Now I’m serious again …

F3CD3AE7-536C-44E6-8D9F-926D56E91FA3.thumb.jpeg.2edda2e012234bd7cbfd6764e9af81a1.jpeg

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Unless you were dead set on Correa its hard to not like this deal. 

I wanted Correa cause he is the superior player and its not my money but IF the Tigers reallocate the savings between the two elsewhere(not necessarily this offseason but at some point) this will probably end up being the better option for the franchise. 

i think its a good deal for detroit.  he's got an out after 2 years?  so its really just a two year deal?

good defense and power.  but the .290 obp is not going to be pretty.

since its not my money, i would rather have correa because he is the far superior player.  but baez for $20 million a year is less than i thought he would go for in this market, and if its only for two years, that's a bonus too.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think its a good deal for detroit.  he's got an out after 2 years?  so its really just a two year deal?

good defense and power.  but the .290 obp is not going to be pretty.

since its not my money, i would rather have correa because he is the far superior player.  but baez for $20 million a year is less than i thought he would go for in this market, and if its only for two years, that's a bonus too.

I was listening to one of the national podcasts earlier and they were criticizing the deal because of the opt out.

I dont get it... if he performs well and you want to keep him, maybe you restructure or renegotiate at year two.  If he starts to regress and exercises his option years 3-6, it's still manageable and it expires earlier than a 10 year contract would.

The team can manage that kinda deal IMO

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I was listening to one of the national podcasts earlier and they were criticizing the deal because of the opt out.

I dont get it... if he performs well and you want to keep him, maybe you restructure or renegotiate at year two.  If he starts to regress and exercises his option years 3-6, it's still manageable and it expires earlier than a 10 year contract would.

The team can manage that kinda deal IMO

i like the 2 year out because it gives him motivation to keep his numbers up for a larger payday too.

• Like 1

I know the anti opt out people have the philosophy that if the player is good then you lose him in 2-3 years and if he is bad then you're stuck with the player. While that is true they never consider the fact that perhaps the team doesn't want them for more than 2 or 3 years regardless of if they are good or not.

Those same talking heads always put down long term deals and talk about how they never work out or that teams are going to regret them when the player gets older, well guess what? Those same players don't sign short term deals outright so if you want to get one of those premier FAs and potentially not have to pay for the downside years the only way you're going to do it is with the opt out. 

I like the opt outs. It's good for the players and the team. The players should be motivated to play well. If they opt out, the team has options. In Baez' case they could give him a qualifying offer or try to trade him before the deadline but he can block a trade to 10 teams. Rodriguez has already received a qualifying offer from the Red Sox but he doesn't have any no trade clauses.

If they don't opt out, it doesn't mean they are bad. They might enjoy playing in Detroit. Baez and Rodriguez are young enough and talented. The contracts seem reasonable compared to what others have received so I think they will be worth the money.