Tigers Nearing Deal With Javier Baez

RatkoVarda

24 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I have no problem if Baez opts out.  2 yrs/$47M in his prime?  Yes, please. 

However, I doubt he’ll do it.

I'd be stunnded if he doens't opt out. 

If he's close to current production he'd easily get more than 113 milion on the open market espeically when the top potential FA SS that year is Isiah Kiner-Falefa

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

So if you believe Fangraphs' assessment of defense, Baez has the advantage over Correa in defense, power, speed and durability.  Correa has the advantage in OBP (.356) and he is 2 years younger.  Correct?

Correct. The value play is Baez. Correa will get on base 23 more times over 500 ABs ( .356 x 500= 178 / .31 x 500 = 155) and Baez will hit 7 more homers. 

8 hours ago, KL2 said:

I'd be stunnded if he doens't opt out. 

If he's close to current production he'd easily get more than 113 milion on the open market espeically when the top potential FA SS that year is Isiah Kiner-Falefa

It would be nice if the Tigers could develop a SS from within during this interim.  Maybe Kreidler will be the answer after all?

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I have no problem if Baez opts out.  2 yrs/$47M in his prime?  Yes, please. 

However, I doubt he’ll do it.

100%.  Either he lights it up which is good for us, we have the chance to lock him up for a little more if needed or we hopefully have a prospect ready to take over.

Honestly this is a home run for Avila.

So now with Baez at SS, anyone think that Torkelson might get some more time at 3B?  I wouldn't think it'd be for anything other than to give Candelario a day off here and there.  Maybe they resurrect it in spring just to see what it looks like?  I personally doubt it, but it is interesting how Torkelson was getting time at 3B in the minors until Toledo.  Tom Prince kept him on the RF side of the IF, and then was relieved of his duties at season's end.  

15 minutes ago, casimir said:

So now with Baez at SS, anyone think that Torkelson might get some more time at 3B?  I wouldn't think it'd be for anything other than to give Candelario a day off here and there.  Maybe they resurrect it in spring just to see what it looks like?  I personally doubt it, but it is interesting how Torkelson was getting time at 3B in the minors until Toledo.  Tom Prince kept him on the RF side of the IF, and then was relieved of his duties at season's end.  

Well the plan is to still sign Correa, move Javy to 2B,  Schoop to 1b and let Torkelson prove himself over the next 2 years until Schoop is gone.     

27 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes, I think they will have him at least keep a hand in to be ready. You don't want Harold Castro playing everyday if Jeimer gets hurt.

Edited by gehringer_2