CFP semi-final: #1 Michigan against a school named after a type of Chili or #2 Michigan vs. a team who couldn't even win the SEC

romad1

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'm pretty sure michigan and harbaugh will talk (if they havent already) and they'll talk contract.  he's got no agent, so there is no one to leak the the stuff to the press.  

money wont be an issue with michigan.  if he wants to leave for the pros its because he wants to go back to the pros.

I am not so sure if I believe that he doesn’t have an agent.   He made the comment in passing a few years ago and I don’t think anyone bothered to follow up on it or not. I know David Dunn represented him in the past.    

Either way,  none of this makes any sense to me why UM won’t pay him the money.   He was on a prove it deal and he proved it.  

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I am not so sure if I believe that he doesn’t have an agent.   He made the comment in passing a few years ago and I don’t think anyone bothered to follow up on it or not. I know David Dunn represented him in the past.    

Either way,  none of this makes any sense to me why UM won’t pay him the money.   He was on a prove it deal and he proved it.  

i think they will pay him his money.

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think they will pay him his money.

I think they will too but just don’t get why they wouldn’t do it before the NFL jobs come open.   

Maybe they like Harbaugh but think Gattis is something special and is a better long term fit to lead the program.    They know he’s most likely getting a HC gig next year so rather than risk losing him, they make him the head coach now and let Harbaugh walk.   It could be argued that Gattis would be harder to replace in the short term than Harbaugh. 

Edited by Hongbit

51 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think they will too but just don’t get why they wouldn’t do it before the NFL jobs come open.   

Maybe they like Harbaugh but think Gattis is something special and is a better long term fit to lead the program.    They know he’s most likely getting a HC gig next year so rather than risk losing him, they make him the head coach now and let Harbaugh walk.   It could be argued that Gattis would be harder to replace in the short term than Harbaugh. 

i dont think they think that about gattis.  if they were thinking about replacing harbaugh, they would likely turn to someone like matt campbell before gattis.

i could be totally wrong and harbaugh could bolt for the pros, he'a a weird cat and could suddenly decide that's what he wants to do, but i honestly dont think he'd leave michigan in the lurch like that.

11 hours ago, romad1 said:

All the departures are scaring me.  I think this is a normal shaking down of guys moving on.  Until he signs or announces, I'm getting worried.

all the departures so far have been expected except for hinton.

they brought in a really good class of dbs and wrs, so the fact that they lose their dbs and wrs who werent playing BEFORE the good recruits got there is not surprising.

11 hours ago, romad1 said:

All the departures are scaring me.  I think this is a normal shaking down of guys moving on.  Until he signs or announces, I'm getting worried.

This had been my entire point.  It’s not that I think he’s going anywhere else but why has this taken so long.   The Ohio St. game was 41 days ago.  That’s plenty  of time for UM to get numbers worked out for him.   In this ridiculous coaching landscape, there’s no reason to wait that long.   Much bigger deals at other schools happened quicker this off-season.   All this has done has create uneasiness and instability.  

The timetable makes no sense to me unless Harbaugh is the one the is slow playing things to see what NFL opportunities pop up or if UM doesn’t really care if he stays or goes like Notre Dame chose with Kelly but I don’t really think thats the case here.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

This had been my entire point.  It’s not that I think he’s going anywhere else but why has this taken so long.   The Ohio St. game was 41 days ago.  That’s plenty  of time for UM to get numbers worked out for him.   In this ridiculous coaching landscape, there’s no reason to wait that long.   Much bigger deals at other schools happened quicker this off-season.   All this has done has create uneasiness and instability.  

The timetable makes no sense to me unless Harbaugh is the one the is slow playing things to see what NFL opportunities pop up or if UM doesn’t really care if he stays or goes like Notre Dame chose with Kelly but I don’t really think thats the case here.  

So, I'm tracking from some guys who are on the periphery of secondary sources... Yes, that's how tenuous this is. 

Jim is demanding that the NIL program is made more on a rational basis and that the Block M is included in the player rights.

Just now, romad1 said:

So, I'm tracking from some guys who are on the periphery of secondary sources... Yes, that's how tenuous this is. 

Jim is demanding that the NIL program is made more on a rational basis and that the Block M is included in the player rights.

btw, the use of the first name "Jim" is the level of pseudo familiarity my source has with this information.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

if they dont pick up the NIL game theyre going to fall further behind.

Yes, the $17B endowment and largest alumni base in the World signifies the potential to be a CFB superpower.   It would also signify Harvard could be a CFB superpower but chooses not to because they too cool.

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Yes, the $17B endowment and largest alumni base in the World signifies the potential to be a CFB superpower.   It would also signify Harvard could be a CFB superpower but chooses not to because they too cool.

harvard likes to tell people they dont offer athletes scholarships, but they do.  that's how tommy terrible at coaching amaker wins the ivy league every other year.

but yes.  youre right.  theyre too far above the rest of us to think of big time college athletics...

48 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This is exactly what I was trying to get at.  Is there something else going on behind the scenes slowing down the process.   

25 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I’m not sure this is how it will play out I think there’s a real unintended side effect of NiL that can cause huge problems for how athletics operate in the world of academia.    

it’s no secret that many faculty and high level administrators aren’t fond of sports being the main marketing vehicles of their schools.  The thought is that it minimizes the academic reputation when the general population thinks of football instead of academics when they hear the name of a particular school.    Academics view athletics as a necessary evil as an opportunity to help them raise money for their general fund.   Nothing better than a good football team to engage your richest alums.    Schools are fine with athletics doing their own direct fundraising to pay for what they need to function on their own without tapping the university funds.    There’s a pending problem if these big donors can go directly to the athlete without paying off the university too.     We may see a changing attitude from  university presidents and trustees if sports starts taking money from their educational and construction fundraising instead of adding to it.  

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure this is how it will play out I think there’s a real unintended side effect of NiL that can cause huge problems for how athletics operate in the world of academia.    

it’s no secret that many faculty and high level administrators aren’t fond of sports being the main marketing vehicles of their schools.  The thought is that it minimizes the academic reputation when the general population thinks of football instead of academics when they hear the name of a particular school.    Academics view athletics as a necessary evil as an opportunity to help them raise money for their general fund.   Nothing better than a good football team to engage your richest alums.    Schools are fine with athletics doing their own direct fundraising to pay for what they need to function on their own without tapping the university funds.    There’s a pending problem if these big donors can go directly to the athlete without paying off the university too.     We may see a changing attitude from  university presidents and trustees if sports starts taking money from their educational and construction fundraising instead of adding to it.  

Any school that claims to be a University and has a 100,000 capacity stadium won't be able to segue into "we are a small liberal arts college that can teach you kid how to write a nice TPS report and your accounting major how to use a ledger"

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There’s a pending problem if these big donors can go directly to the athlete without paying off the university too.     We may see a changing attitude from  university presidents and trustees if sports starts taking money from their educational and construction fundraising instead of adding to it.  

Exactly. If NIL starts to vacuum money away from general giving it's going to be a long term disaster for many schools. I think it's another thing that will just make the rich richer because at places like MI they will probably be able to get a lot of corporate endorsement money for NIL that would never have been donated without the advertising tie-in for the sponsor. But when advertisers have no interest in endorsements in lower tier programs, how to those school recruit without diverting their own academic budget dollars into the athletic program? Maybe you just continue to screw your students (like EMU), or maybe if you have any sense of educational mission you get off the treadmill. So in the end maybe you have 30-40 revenue College Teams and everyone else drops back to DivII.

Edited by gehringer_2