CFP semi-final: #1 Michigan against a school named after a type of Chili or #2 Michigan vs. a team who couldn't even win the SEC

romad1

It will be interesting to see how UM manages the QB situation into next year.   I can’t see the same deal playing out for another year and would be surprised if the backup didn’t hit the portal for a starting job.   That’s how it works now in college football.  QB management is hard stuff.   

That being said, I think it has to be McCarthy.   He has much more potential and gives the offense more options.   The offense should be loaded with no shortage of speed and playmakers. Sucks for McNamara after the great season but he can easily find a guaranteed starting job somewhere else if he doesn’t want to hang around UM in the event that JJ is a slow learner on how to slide and protect himself from brutal hits.  

If it turns out they go with Cade, I can’t see a way in our current climate where a 5* QB waits on the bench for 2 years before becoming a starter.    I think that is a thing of the past.   

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It will be interesting to see how UM manages the QB situation into next year.   I can’t see the same deal playing out for another year and would be surprised if the backup didn’t hit the portal for a starting job.   That’s how it works now in college football.  QB management is hard stuff.   

That being said, I think it has to be McCarthy.   He has much more potential and gives the offense more options.   The offense should be loaded with no shortage of speed and playmakers. Sucks for McNamara after the great season but he can easily find a guaranteed starting job somewhere else if he doesn’t want to hang around UM in the event that JJ is a slow learner on how to slide and protect himself from brutal hits.  

If it turns out they go with Cade, I can’t see a way in our current climate where a 5* QB waits on the bench for 2 years before becoming a starter.    I think that is a thing of the past.   

Cade is a guy that should enter the portal. If you believe the press about him he may be too stubborn to though. He could have some fun finishing his eligibility as number 1 somewhere else.

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Cade is a guy that should enter the portal. If you believe the press about him he may be too stubborn to though. He could have some fun finishing his eligibility as number 1 somewhere else.

Absolutely. There would be multiple high P5 opportunities for him.    

that's what i thought would happen against ohio state.  georgia, ohio state, alabama, maybe lsu or clemson.  theyre the only ones who can compete with each other talent wise.  

unlike ohio state, georgia exposed michigan's defensive weakness at linebacker and corner.  and maybe most importantly, michigan wasnt playing at home.

makes me think next year in columbus is not going to be pretty.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

that's what i thought would happen against ohio state.  georgia, ohio state, alabama, maybe lsu or clemson.  theyre the only ones who can compete with each other talent wise.  

unlike ohio state, georgia exposed michigan's defensive weakness at linebacker and corner.  and maybe most importantly, michigan wasnt playing at home.

makes me think next year in columbus is not going to be pretty.

Assuming OSU intends to field a defense year, they might be better.  They sure let Utah move at will against them.   But those WRs OSU has and will have are legit. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Assuming OSU intends to field a defense year, they might be better.  They sure let Utah move at will against them.   But those WRs OSU has and will have are legit. 

They were playing without 6 starters and then lost another when a guy broke his leg.    I don’t see any reason why OSU won’t be a top ten team again next year.   Nobody can come close to matching the offensive skill players they return.  

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

They were playing without 6 starters and then lost another when a guy broke his leg.    I don’t see any reason why OSU won’t be a top ten team again next year.   Nobody can come close to matching the offensive skill players they return.  

Hopefully we will keep up our end of the bargain. 

19 hours ago, pfife said:

Media tying Jim Harbaugh to the NFL.   Valenti said some national folks said Raiders, Wilbon Just rooting for him to go to Bears on PTI

So he was making big bucks in the NFL, leaves to go to his college, still making big bucks, takes the team to the CFP and is going back to the NFL?  

I honestly 100% HATE what the media has become.  HATE IT, in all aspects of reporting.

Harbaugh is one of the lowest paid coaches in the B10.   I think he’s around 35th nationally.   Instead of accusing the media maybe people should be asking where the contract extension is that he earned and should be getting?  Not sure what the hold up is on this but it’s a big mistake by Warde Manuel if he lets Black Monday hit without a new deal for Harbaugh.    Every big money booster was together last week in the stadium of the biggest booster.   

As for why, Jim is 58.   Head coaches in the league are now trending younger and younger.  If he does have any desire of giving the NFL another shot the opportunity may not come around like this when he’s in his 60’s.  

Edited by Hongbit

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'm pretty sure harbaugh and michigan respect each other enough that if he asked for a raise they would give it to him.  and if he were thinking about leaving he would let them know.

It’s not up to him to ask for a raise.   It’s up to UM to ensure that he is paid close to his market value.   As long as he’s this far below his market, there will be these type of rumors and probably some very real overtures made by others.  

He is a different cat, that’s for sure.  We both agree on that. I don’t think the actual dollars mean squat to him but I think the respect for the job he does and competitive nature between other coaches matters to him.   The guy is a super competitor and  tries to win everything.   Forget the Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley contacts, you don’t think it gnaws at him that guys like Tucker and Fleck have one good season  and don’t even win the B10 and get huge extensions and now make more than double what he does.   

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s not up to him to ask for a raise.   It’s up to UM to ensure that he is paid close to his market value.   As long as he’s this far below his market, there will be these type of rumors and probably some very real overtures made by others.  

He is a different cat, that’s for sure.  We both agree on that. I don’t think the actual dollars mean squat to him but I think the respect for the job he does and competitive nature between other coaches matters to him.   The guy is a super competitor and  tries to win everything.   Forget the Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley contacts, you don’t think it gnaws at him that guys like Tucker and Fleck have one good season  and don’t even win the B10 and get huge extensions and now make more than double what he does.   

i'm pretty sure michigan and harbaugh will talk (if they havent already) and they'll talk contract.  he's got no agent, so there is no one to leak the the stuff to the press.  

money wont be an issue with michigan.  if he wants to leave for the pros its because he wants to go back to the pros.

Harbaugh is going to do what Harbaugh is going to do, and whatever he is going to do has ZERO ties to anything that the national media is spewing.

Harbaugh has always been a wildcard, but the media (particularly those with the NFL ties) showed their ass when Harbaugh came to Michigan and they all laughed the notion of him returning to college off as a joke until his wheels landed at DTW. If John Bacon starts saying something is up, then I would pay attention.

It shocks and offends the NFL talking-heads (and frankly some of the national college ones too) that someone who was successful in the NFL and could have an NFL job if they wanted it is just happier in college. This literally happens every single year. To save you the clicks, those each link to stories rumoring either a possible, soon, or inevitable move to the NFL, from 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, and 2016.