"Lions" at Broncos

buddha

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, if Suh is still a good player and a Super Bowl champion it means the Lions didn't ruin his career. 

Well it means he managed to salvage it despite his fate of being drafted by the Lions. But the common factor with all three of these guys is that the took a bigger nickle  to stay in Det (or in Suh's case in Miami, which was also not a place to go to win ) instead of getting out sooner  - so sure no sympathy is warranted. It's probably no accident the GOAT has never tried to be the highest paid QB. You can center your chase on the rings or the dollars - only occasionally do they line up together.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It means their careers weren't ruined by the Lions. If the Lions ruined their careers, no one would want to sign them. Instead, they were among the best at their position and commanded top dollar. 

If the Lions don't take Hutch and he slips to #2 or #3, do you think he has to play for free? Money will be there, success may not. Unless you think playing for a loser team is a success?

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

All 3 of them could be hall of famers. How the fuck did they not have a successful career? 

They didn't win with the team that picked them. If I was a great college player, I would want the Lions to pass on me. I would happily make less money elsewhere. Competitors like to win, not lose. Year after year after year...

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If the Lions don't take Hutch and he slips to #2 or #3, do you think he has to play for free? Money will be there, success may not. Unless you think playing for a loser team is a success?

Are you dense? Hutchinson won't get the largest contract ever for a defensive player if he isn't good. If he is that good to warrant that kind of contract, it means the team didn't ruin his career. I know you like your lazy arguments of oh it's the Lions so everything they ever do and ever will do is bad and they ruined every player who ever played for them. 

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well it means he managed to salvage it despite his fate of being drafted by the Lions. But the common factor with all three of these guys is that the took a bigger nickle  to stay in Det (or in Suh's case in Miami, which was also not a place to go to win ) instead of getting out sooner  - so sure no sympathy is warranted. It's probably no accident the GOAT has never tried to be the highest paid QB.

The point was the Lions ruin players career. In the case of Stafford, Suh and Johnson, the Lions didn't ruin their careers. Each one of them had the opportunity to go elsewhere. The Lions did absolutely nothing to impede that. All three of them were highly desirable players because they had great Lions careers and could have went wherever they wanted. 

On 12/13/2021 at 11:01 AM, NYLion said:

What did the Heisman show have to do with the Lions 2021 #1 pick? Did Hutchinson do something to turn you off from taking him? If anything, the more he talks, the more I want to take him. Seeing his mom wearing Hutchinson's Lions jersey in the stands every game would be a nice little bonus as well.

Poor guy. Career about to be ruined.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

True. I guess they don't understand never to ever question Lions management. They're the greatest and anyone who says different is a troll. 

You're just all over the place. The fact is the Lions didn't ruin their careers. Johnson, Stafford and Suh probably went on to have the best and most productive careers of anyone in their respective drafts and all 3 could easily be hall of famers. The Lions didn't ruin their careers.

I’m not a big fan of the “they have always been bad so will continue to be bad,” argument.  I think it’s lazy and doesn’t provide nuance.  The lions have been bad forever.  Their past failures have nothing to do with how Sheila runs the team.  If Sheila turns out to be awful then that’s unfortunate, but it’s a separate failure than what has been.  If Holmes turns out to be a world beater drafting GM the lions will have a good football team.  If he drafts like Millen or Quinn they will be bad.

Regardless of the past there is reason to be optimistic.  In the next two drafts we get 4 1st round picks and will also pick at the top of the 2nd.  If Holmes gets it right the lions will be good.  That’s how it works.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You're just all over the place. The fact is the Lions didn't ruin their careers. Johnson, Stafford and Suh probably went on to have the best and most productive careers of anyone in their respective drafts and all 3 could easily be hall of famers. The Lions didn't ruin their careers.

OK, I guess I have to simplify it for you. These guys work really hard to be winners, they have a very competitive nature. They have money, lots of it. They also have massive amounts of pride. Losing, year after year, takes a toll on them. They HATE losing. Not just because of the money, but for the humiliation. Their pride gets hurt. So...being drafted by a team that is going to lose, year after year, bothers them. So these players you keep bringing up? They either couldn't wait to leave or they just quit.

6 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

I’m not a big fan of the “they have always been bad so will continue to be bad,” argument.  I think it’s lazy and doesn’t provide nuance.  The lions have been bad forever.  Their past failures have nothing to do with how Sheila runs the team.  If Sheila turns out to be awful then that’s unfortunate, but it’s a separate failure than what has been.  If Holmes turns out to be a world beater drafting GM the lions will have a good football team.  If he drafts like Millen or Quinn they will be bad.

Regardless of the past there is reason to be optimistic.  In the next two drafts we get 4 1st round picks and will also pick at the top of the 2nd.  If Holmes gets it right the lions will be good.  That’s how it works.  

Poor kids. They may want to stay in school and avoid the draft. Maybe not answer their phone? Pretend the Lions are bill collectors? 😅😅😅

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

OK, I guess I have to simplify it for you. These guys work really hard to be winners, they have a very competitive nature. They have money, lots of it. They also have massive amounts of pride. Losing, year after year, takes a toll on them. They HATE losing. Not just because of the money, but for the humiliation. Their pride gets hurt. So...being drafted by a team that is going to lose, year after year, bothers them. So these players you keep bringing up? They either couldn't wait to leave or they just quit.

They couldn't wait to leave despite the fact two of them signed long term contract extensions, or in Stafford's case, two contract extensions. If the Lions really did ruin their careers, they would have been out of football. The only one out of football is in the hall of fame. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm just amazed a hall of fame career is considered a ruined career. 

Ask any hall of famer who didn't win a Super Bowl what their biggest disappointment is. It'll be never winning the big game. Not making more money or making the Hall. Winning a championship (or a few).