"Lions" at Broncos

buddha

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

.... Barry Sanders made the choice to leave. ... or C) request a trade from the Lions. I have no idea if he actually did request a trade or if Ross would have granted it. 

I thought Barry actually did demand a trade and the Lions refused to consider it. And I think players had less power then so he was stuck with the Lions or he could retire.

If my faulty memory serves...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I thought Barry actually did demand a trade and the Lions refused to consider it. And I think players had less power then so he was stuck with the Lions or he could retire.

If my faulty memory serves...

You know, I have a recollection of the Lions saying they would not entertain the idea of trading him, but I don't remember if that was before or after he walked away - so as per the above it was after he told them he was done.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I can see it now. Sewell is going to develop into one of the best LT ever, he'll sign the largest contract ever given to an offensive lineman, and then he'll retire at age 30 and fight with the Lions for his signing bonus while people blame the Lions for ruining his hall of fame career with his own personal choices. 

You said just because they drafted poorly in the past doesn't mean they'll draft poorly in the future. But then you come up with this scenario? OKIE-DOKIE

2 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I never knew how much of a Lions slappy you were.  It is weird how much you deny it though....just own it.  Nothing wrong with it...

Yeah, it's like he's working in PR for them.

The Lions didn't lose in Denver, they just ended the game too soon. We were on the way to winning...🤣🤣

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

I totally disagree with this.  There are football towns and there is Detroit.  We have a decent fan base considering how god awful they have been for 60 years, but real solid football towns create a culture of wining...get this, by actually winning.  Doing what it takes to win.  Also a lot of those real football towns are not 4 sport towns...so football just naturally means more to them...that goes for ownership as well.  I know most people like to take the lazy cliche and say that the owners of teams treat the team like a throw away or some kind of fancy hobby, but believe it or not...winning creates more money and the owners like making money so they naturally do what it takes to win.  For some people/owners...winning just means more..the Fords do not really care about it...at least they do not appear to care or you would have to have a couple playoff wins in 60 years...

The Bobby Lane curse ended like 13 years ago...there is no curse...there has just been poor decision after poor decision from top to bottom here which is why most people point to ownership because it is the only constant...I mean honestly how bad do you have to be in order to not get lucky at least ONCE in 60 years?

I agree that Detroit is not considered a football town because they never win at football, but I think - similar to New Orleans (who did not win a playoff game from 1967-2000) - if they ever got good, football would be the city's identity, much as hockey was for much of the 90s (though I think to an even greater degree if that is possible). I agree that WCF did not value winning, and I think Martha couldn't have cared less about the team... I don't see any reason as to why that should be automatically assumed to be the case for Sheila though. I enjoyed seeing her in the locker room hugging Campbell after the Vikings game, and I've heard her earnest comments about understanding the fans skepticism that this regime will be different.

Maybe I'll be the sucker at the end of the day, and Sheila is just trying to improve the family and brand image rather than success (though I think she is smart enough to know that winning = money). I think she is worth a shot though. God knows I'm not entirely like my parents LOL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree that Detroit is not considered a football town because they never win at football, but I think - similar to New Orleans (who did not win a playoff game from 1967-2000) - if they ever got good, football would be the city's identity, much as hockey was for much of the 90s (though I think to an even greater degree if that is possible). I agree that WCF did not value winning, and I think Martha couldn't have cared less about the team... I don't see any reason as to why that should be automatically assumed to be the case for Sheila though. I enjoyed seeing her in the locker room hugging Campbell after the Vikings game, and I've heard her earnest comments about understanding the fans skepticism that this regime will be different.

Maybe I'll be the sucker at the end of the day, and Sheila is just trying to improve the family and brand image rather than success (though I think she is smart enough to know that winning = money). I think she is worth a shot though. God knows I'm not entirely like my parents LOL.

Every off-season, the Lions expect the fans to drink their special blend of Kool-Aid. After a few years of SOL, they change coaches and say "this time it'll be different, we're really going to try". A few more seasons and they fire their GM and say "this time it'll be different". But it's never different, we're losers mostly every season. Meanwhile, with revenue sharing, the Lions value increases at an amazing rate. So win or lose, they're making boatloads of money. But yeah, sure. Campbell and Holmes are the answer. Just like Quinn and Patricia were. Just like.....every coach and GM for the last 64 years. So yeah, many fans are quite cynical. GO RAMS!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

and I think Martha couldn't have cared less about the team...

That may be harsh. I think the issue is competence. Martha had no more clue than the man in the moon how an NFL franchise should be run regardless of where she wanted to take it. And WCF was actually anti-competent. He cared about the wrong things so his team produced the wrong outcomes. All we can hope is that Sheila has been doing her homework.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

That may be harsh. I think the issue is competence. Martha had no more clue than the man in the moon how an NFL franchise should be run regardless of where she wanted to take it. And WCF was actually anti-competent. He cared about the wrong things so his team produced the wrong outcomes. All we can hope is that Sheila has been doing her homework.

Actually WCF was loyal to a fault. He kept Russ Thamas as our GM for years after it was obvious his cheapness wasn't going to allow us to win. I shoulda stopped following them once Joe Schmidt walked out on them because Thomas couldn't keep quality players because he didn't want to pay them.

I have faith in Sheila, perhaps its blind faith but some of the things she said and has done makes me think she is competent and actually cares about winning. 

That doesn't guarantee anything cause even smart owners/management can lose but at the very least I think she is going to do everything she can to win and isn't just going to settle for mediocrity year after year. 

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have faith in Sheila, perhaps its blind faith but some of the things she said and has done makes me think she is competent and actually cares about winning. 

That doesn't guarantee anything cause even smart owners/management can lose but at the very least I think she is going to do everything she can to win and isn't just going to settle for mediocrity year after year. 

i dont have faith in sheila, but i think holmes as a good choice, spielman was a good choice, and campbell was a good choice.

i am cautiously optimistic that the lions are finally on the right track.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

You said just because they drafted poorly in the past doesn't mean they'll draft poorly in the future. But then you come up with this scenario? OKIE-DOKIE

I never said anything like that. I said there recent history of top 5 picks has been good. 

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Every off-season, the Lions expect the fans to drink their special blend of Kool-Aid. After a few years of SOL, they change coaches and say "this time it'll be different, we're really going to try". A few more seasons and they fire their GM and say "this time it'll be different". But it's never different, we're losers mostly every season. Meanwhile, with revenue sharing, the Lions value increases at an amazing rate. So win or lose, they're making boatloads of money. But yeah, sure. Campbell and Holmes are the answer. Just like Quinn and Patricia were. Just like.....every coach and GM for the last 64 years. So yeah, many fans are quite cynical. GO RAMS!!

Honest question, why you even follow the team? Not only do you seem miserable following the team, but you want others to be just as miserable as you. 

39 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Actually WCF was loyal to a fault. He kept Russ Thamas as our GM for years after it was obvious his cheapness wasn't going to allow us to win. I shoulda stopped following them once Joe Schmidt walked out on them because Thomas couldn't keep quality players because he didn't want to pay them.

Matt Millen was the 2nd highest paid GM in the league at the time. At the risk of being called contrarian and a slappy, the Lions haven't been cheap recently. The issue with Willie Clay Ford was hiring unqualified people to run the team, being completely hands off, and loyal to a fault. 

The best thing Sheila can do is stand back and let Brad Holmes do his thing.    Personally, I’m  more concerned about Rod Wood and Chris Spielman getting in his way.  

We also can’t forget that Holmes didn’t hire Campbell.    This isn’t a Quintricia situation.  These two aren’t tied at the hip even thought they are acting like besties right now.     Campbell has time but he’s the one getting cut first if this thing doesn’t show some promise in a few years.  

• Thanks 1

I love the fact that Sheila has been engaged in the operations but at the same time doesn't throw her weight around but instead allows the professionals that she hired to do their job. 

Case and point the video during the draft asking about the WR,she knew we needed one but after Holmes explained to her the situation she sat back and let him do his thing.

Same thing during the video in the 1st round where they were debating trades, she sat like a fly on the wall and didnt try to tell them what to do but instead trusted their judgement.

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Matt Millen was the 2nd highest paid GM in the league at the time. At the risk of being called contrarian and a slappy, the Lions haven't been cheap recently. The issue with Willie Clay Ford was hiring unqualified people to run the team, being completely hands off, and loyal to a fault. 

right - WCF didn't mind spending money, but he would only spend it on flash - like a great running back or an occasional splashy FA signing (things that put fannies in the seats was the phrase IIFC),  but good scouting and (keeping) good assistants and  deep rosters in the trenches didn't float his boat, so the Lions didn't have them.