Jump to content

30 years ago today.


Recommended Posts

The last time the Lions won a playoff game and they absolutely destroyed a future Super Bowl champ.  

I was born at the end of 1964.  I think this is the only playoff game they've won in my lifetime

 

(Click on to watch on You Tube).    I didn't realize they had replay reviews that far back. 

 

 

Edited by Motor City Sonics
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Lions and NFL in general was the last sport I got into as a kid so this was either my first or 2nd season as a Lions fan,  can't remember for sure. Little did I know the misery they would put me through and how it would all go downhill from there. 

Kinda like Marino making the SB his rookie year, he probably thought "Ahh this isn't too bad, I'll be back here" and little did he know he never would be. That's my experience with the Lions "ahh losing the NFC Championship game the first year I follow them,  not too bad we'll be back some other time. "

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Lions and NFL in general was the last sport I got into as a kid so this was either my first or 2nd season as a Lions fan,  can't remember for sure. Little did I know the misery they would put me through and how it would all go downhill from there. 

Kinda like Marino making the SB his rookie year, he probably thought "Ahh this isn't too bad, I'll be back here" and little did he know he never would be. That's my experience with the Lions "ahh losing the NFC Championship game the first year I follow them,  not too bad we'll be back some other time. "

2 months before that they lost a really good young OG to a spinal injury and then after the season the other OG was hit buy a truck and killed while mowing his grass.   They really are cursed.       We thought with the group they had that they were going places and POOF, 30 years later and they are the last team left that existed during the first Super Bowl that hasn't ever been to one.   (Sorry, the current Cleveland Browns are not the team from the 60s).  

I will give them something though..........When Wayne was the coach, they were rarely boring.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am watching the game now on my tv and you can just feel how loud that place was that day.   I was at that Barry 2,000 game vs. the Jets at the Silverdome and it was the loudest thing I've ever experienced, including seeing The Raconteurs, Filter and Sugar in concert.  

I remember watching that one, since the Dallas win probably the biggest win the past 30 years for the franchise. Not only did Barry get 2000 yards but it was a win or go home for both the Lions and Jets so as close to a playoff win as you can get.

Of course in true Lions fashion they win a big game but something bad has to happen to offset it and that was the tragic Reggie Brown injury.  I remember Bobby Ross's classic quote " There's only two things we can do for Reggie now,  we can pray for him and we can play for him. "

 

Edited by RandyMarsh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember watching that one, since the Dallas win probably the biggest win the past 30 years for the franchise. Not only did Barry get 2000 yards but it was a win or go home for both the Lions and Jets so as close to a playoff win as you can get.

Of course in true Lions fashion they win a big game but something bad has to happen to offset it and that was the tragic Reggie Brown injury.  I remember Bobby Ross's classic quote " There's only two things we can do for Reggie now,  we can pray for him and we can play for him. "

 

The place was so loud when Neil O'Donnell was trying to snap the ball that they had to stop the game and the refs warned the crowd there would be a penalty.........which only made the crowd louder.    Then when Reggie went down and guys SPRINTED to the ambulance it was so quiet.  

It was strange because Barry made a 3 yard run, no big deal and then they announcer said Barry Sanders has just rushed for over 2,000 yards and the crowd had a big cheer.  I said to a friend that he'd probably lose 3 yards next........but then he broke a  50 yard run down to the 2 yard line and that place just erupted.  

At one point I went into the 97.1 suite because a friend worked there and the windows did not open, you couldn't hear the crowd or anything...........it sucked.............stayed there for about 1 series and left.   That noise in there really worked on your adrenaline so it kind of fed itself there.    It was awesome.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i was at the 2000 yard game too.  the play he did it on was a real short gain, so nobody knew if he had actually broken the record or not, but they gave it to him anyway.  and the next play he broke one 50 yards and removed all doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And that 50 yard run secured the game and the playoffs for the Lions as well. The Jets had no timeouts left but if they would've stopped them on 2nd and 3rd down they still couldve gotten the ball with like a minute left down a field goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, buddha said:

i forget how young some of you guys are.

Gen X came of age in the time of that game.  I remember the time I spent in the sweat lodge and journeyed to understand the space coyote's words.   Or, what actually happened was I drank a lot of tequila at some dive bar in Pontiac and got on the shuttle bus and watched my team do something amazing.  Herman Moore's veritable coming out game.  Barry Sanders with the mystery run into 8-9 Dallas defenders and then voosh! out the other side.   Multiple defensive plays (fumble recoveries, pick sixes!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Gen X came of age in the time of that game.  I remember the time I spent in the sweat lodge and journeyed to understand the space coyote's words.   Or, what actually happened was I drank a lot of tequila at some dive bar in Pontiac and got on the shuttle bus and watched my team do something amazing.  Herman Moore's veritable coming out game.  Barry Sanders with the mystery run into 8-9 Dallas defenders and then voosh! out the other side.   Multiple defensive plays (fumble recoveries, pick sixes!).

my earliest lions memory was billy sims on the cover of sports illustrated when they started 4-0 in 1980 (and missed the playoffs).  then going 8-7 in 81 and ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS BEAT THE BUCS IN THE LAST GAME OF THE YEAR AND THEY BLEW IT.  then the strike year when they (and everyone else) made the playoffs at 4-5 and got obliterated by the skins.

and then.  1983.  they had the niners.  they had them.  despite FIVE gary danielson picks they had a 40 yard field goal to win the game.  and little buddha at his grandparents' home in ypsi watching between his fingers cause he couldnt look, monte clark in prayer on the sideline, and reliable eddie murray just needing this one simple kick to send the lions to the nfc championship game and he....

....pushed it wide.

i came in with pain and its been nothing but pain since.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      185
    • Most Online
      119

    Newest Member
    roarintiger1
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...