30 years ago today.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

my earliest lions memory was billy sims on the cover of sports illustrated when they started 4-0 in 1980 (and missed the playoffs).  then going 8-7 in 81 and ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS BEAT THE BUCS IN THE LAST GAME OF THE YEAR AND THEY BLEW IT.  then the strike year when they (and everyone else) made the playoffs at 4-5 and got obliterated by the skins.

and then.  1983.  they had the niners.  they had them.  despite FIVE gary danielson picks they had a 40 yard field goal to win the game.  and little buddha at his grandparents' home in ypsi watching between his fingers cause he couldnt look, monte clark in prayer on the sideline, and reliable eddie murray just needing this one simple kick to send the lions to the nfc championship game and he....

....pushed it wide.

i came in with pain and its been nothing but pain since.

Billy Sims 1980 was also my first Lions memory. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

ah, youre an old man too.

LOL - My early Lions memories include my grade school friends making fun of Karl Sweetan's name - don't ask me why it struck 12 yr olds as particularly funny, Bill-no-touch-Munson throwing every pass at 90 mph and nearly killing little Earl McCollouch with them, but mostly watching the incomparable Lem Barney be the best player on the field for either team.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:01 PM, romad1 said:

Billy Sims 1980 was also my first Lions memory. 

That is "technically" my first Lions memory...

But in 1976 I went to see a charity game between my uncle's team (he was 8 years older than me and I don't remember if this was a college game or... whatever...) and a bunch of Lions. I have the game program signed by all the Lions that played that night. A bunch of names I don't remember at all... no stars that I can see...

But I don't really remember that at all... Even though I think I was 12 at the time...

My real first memory was the Lions drafting Billy Sims.