Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Just now, Edman85 said:

Why is it stubborn and stupid? This is being very overblown.

Because they have 2 guys there already who might be able to play third base and hit a little bit, and they need the 3B reps.  Maton hasn't done anything to show why he should be ahead of them.

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

For me it depends on whether they are pulling the plug on JHM as a 3b. if they are, then fine, you have 2 3b's to give time to: Keith and Maton, and since you want to give Keith time at 2B as well, no problem. The Tigers are so desperate for a competent 3B that if you still believe against all odds Maton can improve there, fine. But that means you are giving up reps you could be giving to a younger, higher ceiling (supposedly) player, so I hope they are pretty confident that JHM will never be a ML 3B.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

For me it depends on whether they are pulling the plug on JHM as a 3b. if they are, then fine, you have 2 3b's to give time to: Keith and Maton, and since you want to give Keith time at 2B as well, no problem. The Tigers are so desperate for a competent 3B that if you still believe against all odds Maton can improve there, fine. But that means you are giving up reps you could be giving to a younger, higher ceiling (supposedly) player, so I hope they are pretty confident that JHM will never be a ML 3B.

It's possible that they are giving up on JHM at third, after half a season, but if so I'd like to know who the scouts were that recommended asking for him from the Braves.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Minus 7 defensive runs saved in 303 innings. Dead last in MLB. Last in fielding percentage and multiple defensive stats on Fangraphs.

The worst in MLB is overblown? I'm not sure which games you are watching.

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

It's possible that they are giving up on JHM at third, after half a season, but if so I'd like to know who the scouts were that recommended asking for him from the Braves.

He's a major league hitter, with power and a great eye. They can figure out the defense later.

Our minor league players who could contribute to/compete on the ass-ridden main roster, are clearly fragile little faberge' eggs who would crack under big league pressure.  The show is for stalwart, hardened pros like Nevin, even if he sucks at baseball...clearly sucking at baseball is qualification to get a call up with this org.

7 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Minus 7 defensive runs saved in 303 innings. Dead last in MLB. Last in fielding percentage and multiple defensive stats on Fangraphs.

The worst in MLB is overblown? I'm not sure which games you are watching.

All the more reason for him to play there in Toledo then...

Not a great night on the farm
Toledo L 11-10 /10
Meadows 2/6 3RBI HR K
Malloy 2/5 3RBI BB 2B
Maton 2/4 BB 2B
Lipcius 1/6 RBI
Keith 3/4 2RBI 2BB (IBB in the 10th)
Skubal 4IP 3H 2R 2BB 4K

Erie PPD

WM L 9-6 /10
Campos 1/5
Jung 1/3 RBI 2BB
Allen 1/4 2B BB
Pacheco 0/5 4K
Johnson 0/2 2K

Lakeland L 16-2
Graham 0/4 2K
Bastidas 0/4 2K
Santana 2/3 K
Gold 2/3 2B (He won't be happy with June ending soon hitting .337/.431/.554)
Jobe 2IP H K (Game was delayed for lightning in the 2nd so his night ended early)
Fr. Perez 1.1IP 3H 3ER BB K

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

All the more reason for him to play there in Toledo then...

actually it would be more ideal if they had a high level fielder for Keith to be able to watch/work with when he's not playing. Sadly that's not in the cards either - at least until Kreilder is ready to start working out again, and I'm not sure that will even be this season.

Edited by gehringer_2

HR, 2BB for Malloy tonight. He's pushed his June OPS back to 800 after an odd May with lots of walks but not much else. I suppose if he's now an outfielder his eventual call-up is not longer dependent on achieving proficiency as a 3b. 

Greene, Malloy, P Meadows as the starting OF sometime in '24, then

Rogers, Torkelson, Ibanez, Keith, Baez around the IF, if Javy isn't gone.

Carpenter at DH.

5 RH, 4 LH. 

Could work. 

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Don’t look now, but Luke Gold has his batting average and OPS up to .270/.779.

Nice to see someone (other than Jace Jung or Danny Serretti) flash a little promise from the last draft class...

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

HR, 2BB for Malloy tonight. He's pushed his June OPS back to 800 after an odd May with lots of walks but not much else. I suppose if he's now an outfielder his eventual call-up is not longer dependent on achieving proficiency as a 3b. 

Greene, Malloy, P Meadows as the starting OF sometime in '24, then

Rogers, Torkelson, Ibanez, Keith, Baez around the IF, if Javy isn't gone.

Carpenter at DH.

5 RH, 4 LH. 

Could work. 

Ibanez?  Seems like too much of a free swinger.

Moving on from Baddoo and McKinstry?

Edited by casimir

I’d guess this as of now:  Torkelson, Baez, and Greene returning and playing everyday.  Carpenter returns, should play everyday now to see if it’s something that could work going forward.  Vierling and McKinstry likely back as bench pieces.  Baddoo likely back vs RHPs.  Malloy makes his MLB debut, plays regularly, position to be determined.  MeadowsP and Keith have a chance to make the team, but I’m not sure it’s guaranteed.

Cabrera, Schoop, and Nevin are gone.  Haase is not helping his cause.  Short, Ibanez, and Kreidler might be in position to bump one another off, can’t imagine the whole trio returning and perhaps there will be room for only one or none of them?

I’m sure I missed somebody.  It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.  I think last offseason was plugging holes and coming up with a roster with options.  I think the theme of this offseason will surely be different to an extent.  I think we’re going to see more of an effort to competing in the division rather than just filling jerseys.

Toledo L 6-2
Meadows 0/3 BB SB
Malloy 1/2 HR 2BB
Lipcius 0/4
Keith 1/4
E-Rod 4.1IP 3H BB 4K
Brieske 2IP 2H ER 2K

Erie W 9-3
Cruz 0/3 2 BB K
Bigbie 2/4 3RBI 2B
Perez 0/3 2K BB
Meyers 1/4 3RBI 2K
Serretti 1/4 RBI
Dingler 1/3 BB
Montero 5.1IP 5H ER 2BB 6K (4.18 ERA for June, .218 AVG against 1.23 WHIP)

WM W 4-2
Campos 2/4 RBI SB
Jung 0/3 BB K
Allen 0/2 2BB K SB
Pacheco 0/3 RBI BB K

Lakeland L 5-4
Gold 3/5 2B 3B (Probably need to be moved to WM soon)
Bastidas 0/5
Santana 1/3 BB 2K
Kohlhepp 1IP 

FCL L 13-7
Gil 1/3 2BB
Briceno 1/4 BB K
Sequera 0/2
Diaz 1/2 2B RBI BB

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

looking for a starting 9. I don't see who is likely to be more productive than Ibanez - yet.

McKinstry is the #1 bench guy going into next season I would think. 

I feel like McKinstry is a dark horse candidate to get traded come the end of July. LH bat that can play multiple positions and is controllable. Houston, Arizona, LAA could possibly be buyers looking for that. 

51 minutes ago, casimir said:

I’d guess this as of now:  Torkelson, Baez, and Greene returning and playing everyday.  Carpenter returns, should play everyday now to see if it’s something that could work going forward.  Vierling and McKinstry likely back as bench pieces.  Baddoo likely back vs RHPs.  Malloy makes his MLB debut, plays regularly, position to be determined.  MeadowsP and Keith have a chance to make the team, but I’m not sure it’s guaranteed.

Cabrera, Schoop, and Nevin are gone.  Haase is not helping his cause.  Short, Ibanez, and Kreidler might be in position to bump one another off, can’t imagine the whole trio returning and perhaps there will be room for only one or none of them?

I’m sure I missed somebody.  It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.  I think last offseason was plugging holes and coming up with a roster with options.  I think the theme of this offseason will surely be different to an extent.  I think we’re going to see more of an effort to competing in the division rather than just filling jerseys.

I guess I forgot Maton and Marisnick on the current 40.  If Marisnick returns, this team has problems.  Hopefully Maton can salvage a bat and be good enough defensively to play 2B vs RHPs.

I should give Vierling more consideration  - He is the guy any OF promoted from Toledo will have to beat out. He's team controlled, he covers a lot ground on D even it doesn't have the showiest glove, he has little or no platoon split (everyday eligible) and one of the few hitters who's  managing an OPS+ > 100. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1