Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

I'm not on the Kreidler bandwagon.  The reason?  His name.  Ryan Kreidler.  It's not a baseball name.  Now, if you showed me his stats and told me his name is Billy Stevenson I'd say "kid's got a chance".  But Ryan Kreidler?  Where is tiger337, he will back me up on this.

My advice to him would be to spend the offseason applying to US Postal, and try to get one of those letter-carrier routes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

Kreidler has gone from a .658 OPS in A+ to .754 in AA to .960 in AAA.  Just imagine his OPS when he can hit in the much better lighting of MLB ball yards.

So McCosky with a piece about W. Castro to the effect that despite the season being a total waste with the bat, the saving grace is that he's working really hard with the coaches to to get to a point where he is almost an average fielding 2b. What? We don't coach IF anywhere in the system other than the ML club?   I still can't figure why we are still looking at him and Niko flail at the plate (598 and 588 2nd half OPS respectively) instead of letting Kreidler get his feet wet and be in a better position to compete next ST.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Kreidler is not the type of guy you gift wrap a lineup spot for. He just isn't.

And Willi Castro or Goodrum are? It's not like anyone is asking to bench Ryne Sandberg to give Kreidler a shot. Hinch's mantra is supposedly that this org will reward you based on what you do rather than your press clippings. Even if it's only to prove he will fail Kreidler is building a strong case to be given the chance in place of either of two clearly sub replacement level players.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Well, somewhere else somebody said not to sign Correa because the job is Kreidler's, and that is more what I was responding to.

LOL - well that is fair enough! The current IF situation to me is less about Kreidler (or Paredes for that matter) than what seems to be an obsession with Niko and W. Castro. I just don't believe either of those players have a place on a winning team and wish the Tigers would move on - the direction mattering less than that they just move on.

8 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I actually think Short is the most viable shortstop of all those guys... aside from maybe Niko.

Niko has a good arm and is athletic enough, but I'm not a particular fan of his overall defensive game. Gives up too many plays by not charging balls he could and in general lets the ball play him too much. Granted he has been a bit better recently than earlier in the year, but with his bat not making any appearance for the 2nd season  and his refusal to reconsider his approach as a LHH I just don't see much future potential. He may have peaked as a hitter in 2018/19.

I don't know how Kreidler looks in the field on a day-to-day basis... I've seen a couple highlights where he looks more than competent...

My point being, if he's more than adequate at SS... then I am going to guess there will be Hinch-interest in his bat.

So if Kreidler can back up SS, and I think he's also played at 3B and 2B, and... Paredes can do 3B and 2B (and SS in an emergency?), and... Clemens can do 2B and the OF (they've had him in RF I believe, and also other IF spots...?), then...

Why do we need to put up with the Castrei or Niko any longer? It's time to move on from Niko. Willi can play a year, next year, at AAA, where they can figure out what to do with his glove, and to see if he has any hitting skills whatsoever that he can recover. Does Harold have an option left? If not, maybe he holds a bench spot as the veteran whilst one of the kids gets stuck in AAA alongside Willi... But I'm ready to move on, even if the team isn't.

I could do Haase, Kreidler, Paredes and Clemens as backups. 

Hill-Baddoo-Grossman-Greene in the OF. Cameron to start at AAA (I think Hill wins out based on his CF play... but his hold on that spot is VERY tenuous...). Haase and Clemens can also play OF so there's enough coverage. If Hill gets hurt again, or if he plays himself back to AAA, Cameron or Reyes can come up.

Those are my thoughts anyways...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't know how Kreidler looks in the field on a day-to-day basis... I've seen a couple highlights where he looks more than competent...

My point being, if he's more than adequate at SS... then I am going to guess there will be Hinch-interest in his bat.

So if Kreidler can back up SS, and I think he's also played at 3B and 2B, and... Paredes can do 3B and 2B (and SS in an emergency?), and... Clemens can do 2B and the OF (they've had him in RF I believe, and also other IF spots...?), then...

Why do we need to put up with the Castrei or Niko any longer? It's time to move on from Niko. Willi can play a year, next year, at AAA, where they can figure out what to do with his glove, and to see if he has any hitting skills whatsoever that he can recover. Does Harold have an option left? If not, maybe he holds a bench spot as the veteran whilst one of the kids gets stuck in AAA alongside Willi... But I'm ready to move on, even if the team isn't.

I could do Haase, Kreidler, Paredes and Clemens as backups. 

Hill-Baddoo-Grossman-Greene in the OF. Cameron to start at AAA (I think Hill wins out based on his CF play... but his hold on that spot is VERY tenuous...). Haase and Clemens can also play OF so there's enough coverage. If Hill gets hurt again, or if he plays himself back to AAA, Cameron or Reyes can come up.

Those are my thoughts anyways...

I like Harold Castro.   He is capable of filling in just about anywhere they need him and he puts the ball in play.   Willi needs work, but we've seen him hit before and it would be a shame to give up on him too quickly.   Paredes is interesting to be a stop-gap.   The team is certainly grooming Kody Clemens to be a multi-position guy (A.J. LOVES those guys) and Kreidler is making a case.   No more room for Niko.      Zack looks like he's never really going to hit.  

Think about it.  They are set at third and should sign Candy long term now.   Even with no Jake next year, the catching combo is better than at the start of the year and a catcher should be on their FA list (you'll need more than two at some point.   They've got a collection of OFs that can hold things down until Greene is ready, but going for a corner OF could be on the FA list.    They will absolutely need a Starter.  They need to have 7 capable starters going into the season.   You just know deep down in your heart that one of our young guys is getting TJ at some point, because that seems to be the new nomal.   Next year they should have Mize-Skubal-Manning automatically. They should re-sign Peralta.  So that means you will need 3 more.  Not ready to count on Wentz yet.  Faedo will probably need a year to recover in the minors    Tyler Alexander can be a guy they can (and will ) use, but they need more.   

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Willi needs work, but we've seen him hit before and it would be a shame to give up on him too quickly. 

I'm fine with giving W Castro at least another year before pulling the plug, just not at Detroit.

While I haven't seen him play, almost everything I've read about Kreidler says the glove will play if he can hit, and there are a LOT of reservations about that. OTOH, it is unusual for a guy to put up significantly better numbers as he moves up a system  -- it can be a sign they have found something that wasn't there when everyone was doing their initial projections. BTW - Cody Stavenhagen wrote him up in the Athletic recently but I'm not a subscriber.

56 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

... They are set at third and should sign Candy long term now...

I see no reason to sign Candy long-term right now.

We've got him for two more arbitration years. I would reevaluate mid-season 2023... By then, we can get a read on Paredes to see if he can become Candy 2.0, or not. By then, Workman is going to be pushing AAA (hopefully...), and we'll see whether he's still at SS or has moved over to 3B (he's a big dude at 6' 3"...). By then we'll know how quickly Colten Keith is rising up the ranks... or not.

I can see signing a top-shelf SS FA because we don't have a top-shelf SS in the pipeline, unless we're talking Christian Santana who is (a) at 17 a LONG way away from MLB and (b) so far away he's a huge unknown at this point. And who knows if Trei Cruz will make it or not, he had a tough start this year. But maybe he does figure things out? Still, 2-3 years away at least?

I can see signing Schoop to a short-term contract because by mid-year 2023... we're in the same boat as in 3B: Paredes or Clemens will turn out good enough in MLB to take over as a starter, or not. Maybe even Willi Castro turns into a 2B'man after all...

Why are we signing Candy long-term? We have similar, cheaper options in 2024 (Paredes or Workman), he'll be 30 in 2024 (could be something, could be nothing...). I consider him a short-term solution, just like Schoop. I wouldn't do anything with him but wait until mid-season 2023 so we can figure out what else we've got in the system.

Just my 2 cents.

On 9/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Wilmer Flores with another good start at Lakeland. 5IP 3H 0R 3BB 7K

The back-end pitching (starter) prospects I'm interested in following/ seeing how they develop:

Lakeland

Wilmer Flores and Nick Davila (both 2020 undrafted FA signees after the 6 round draft...)

West Michigan

Austin Bergner (9th-2019)

Erie

Joey Wentz and Beau Brieske (27th-2019). I guess Garrett Hill (26th-2018) too but, for some reason, I think Hill ends up AAAA or as a reliever... Doesn't mean anyone listed above won't end up the same... I just feel there's more upside to the other guys without really knowing how Hill's "stuff" and "makeup" play...

On 9/19/2021 at 8:20 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Niko has a good arm and is athletic enough, but I'm not a particular fan of his overall defensive game. Gives up too many plays by not charging balls he could and in general lets the ball play him too much. Granted he has been a bit better recently than earlier in the year, but with his bat not making any appearance for the 2nd season  and his refusal to reconsider his approach as a LHH I just don't see much future potential. He may have peaked as a hitter in 2018/19.

Goodrum is going to be 30 next season.  His versatility is nice, but it’s tough to see where he fits in as anything more than that if the Tigers do go get a SS.

Keith Law picked his minor league awards and he gave player of the year to Witt followed by Adley. After them to be had a "other players of notes" portion and Greene was the first guy listed. 

He was pretty complimentary of him saying that his defense in center is better than he expected and said he could see him staying there atleast for the next few seasons. Said you could make the case he was better offensively than Witt and Adley but he picked them cause of their position and added defensive value. 

Unless I missed it I didn't see anything on Tork.