Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

On 9/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Keith Law picked his minor league awards and he gave player of the year to Witt followed by Adley. After them to be had a "other players of notes" portion and Greene was the first guy listed. 

He was pretty complimentary of him saying that his defense in center is better than he expected and said he could see him staying there atleast for the next few seasons. Said you could make the case he was better offensively than Witt and Adley but he picked them cause of their position and added defensive value. 

Unless I missed it I didn't see anything on Tork. 

Statistically, Torkelson seems closer to being ready because Greene's K rate is so high.  I am excited about Greene too, but I just have a feeling Tork will be ready sooner.    

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Statistically, Torkelson seems closer to being ready because Greene's K rate is so high.  I am excited about Greene too, but I just have a feeling Tork will be ready sooner.    

When we  saw Greene is ST he seemed to have great plate discipline. I still wonder if he is being to coached to stay on the overly aggressive side because they want him to learn what he can hit more than they care if he Ks more than he might at this point in his development.

Edited by gehringer_2

Unless they sign some stop gap 1st baseman like a Cron, Rizzo etc.(Don't expect them to just saying) then there really isn't any reason that Tork shouldn't be here next year from the start. If he isn't then that will definitely put out the vibe that they are being cheap and delaying his clock cause from a performance standpoint you can't make an argument that he shouldn't be on the team.  

I also think Aderlin Rodriguez should be given a shot as a backup... Maybe in 2022 of course, too late for this year...

Not certain how his fielding is... it could be pretty crappy...

And he may have no chance unless Tork is not ready out of ST... Or Miggy retires (after he gets his 3,000-600-500 that is...). He would be 1B/DH/3B/PH'er off the bench backup?

Just my 2 cents.

On 9/25/2021 at 5:17 PM, gehringer_2 said:

When we  saw Greene is ST he seemed to have great plate discipline. I still wonder if he is being to coached to stay on the overly aggressive side because they want him to learn what he can hit more than they care if he Ks more than he might at this point in his development.

His walk is 11%, so his strikeout rate being high isn't because he's being too aggressive.

He's either not aggressive enough and takes too many strikes, or he is swinging and missing a bit much, or some combo of the both.

36 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

His walk is 11%, so his strikeout rate being high isn't because he's being too aggressive.

not following your argument here. You are positing he can't have a higher walk rate if he were less aggressive? Or something else?

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

not following your argument here. You are positing he can't have a higher walk rate if he were less aggressive? Or something else?

Im saying it's unlikely he's striking out so much because he's too aggressive at the plate.

Players who have plus walk rates are almost never over aggressive chasing pitches out of the strike zone.

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

Im saying it's unlikely he's striking out so much because he's too aggressive at the plate.

Players who have plus walk rates are almost never over aggressive chasing pitches out of the strike zone.

OK - I wasn't sure if you were arguing he walk rate was high or low in this context. The counter arg would be that he is capable of walking at an even higher rate and is thus still being more aggressive than he *might* be. I'm not arguing that is true but he does seem to be a rare talent so we may need to hold open the possibility we underestimate him to project from league average values. All that said, having just turned 21 a few days ago, it's most likely he is still learning what he can't hit and he will likely also gain the strength to get the bat to more balls he sees well enough but doesn't reach now.

On 9/26/2021 at 3:14 PM, 1984Echoes said:

I also think Aderlin Rodriguez should be given a shot as a backup... Maybe in 2022 of course, too late for this year...

Not certain how his fielding is... it could be pretty crappy...

And he may have no chance unless Tork is not ready out of ST... Or Miggy retires (after he gets his 3,000-600-500 that is...). He would be 1B/DH/3B/PH'er off the bench backup?

Just my 2 cents.

No room to carry him over the winter. He'll be a free agent again, there's no room for him in Detroit. Toledo maybe, but not Detroit.

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

No room to carry him over the winter. He'll be a free agent again, there's no room for him in Detroit. Toledo maybe, but not Detroit.

I'm perfectly fine with him at Toledo.

Once Miggy retires, he might just be that extra bat that Randy Marsh is pining for...