Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Greene has a 2-run HR and an HBP courtesy of Burrows, plus a double and BB in 5 PA's... he also threw out a Miranda at Home Plate; Kreidler with a double and 2 BB's in 4 PA's, and a SB and 2 runs scored...

Tork 0-3 with two BB's... Clemens 2-5 with a couple singles. Also: Aderlin Rodriguez with a Grand Slam. 29th HR this year...

One last note: I still think Elvin Rodriguez will turn into something for us... back-end starter, middle reliever... who knows? But he made his AAA debut with 2 innings, 1 hit and 3 K's...

Unless they give up 7 or more runs in the top of the 9th... that's it for these guys tonight in the batter's box.

Brieske had a damn fine year...

I mostly like his low WHIP, his K-Rate, low HR rate and BB-rate, and that he has decent size at 6' 3" 200#'s...

Also: that he did this at High-A and AA, not in low-A or GCL (FSL... whatever). 

It might actually mean something that he did it at AA...

Edited by 1984Echoes

11 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Greene has a 2-run HR and an HBP courtesy of Burrows, plus a double and BB in 5 PA's... he also threw out a Miranda at Home Plate; Kreidler with a double and 2 BB's in 4 PA's, and a SB and 2 runs scored...

Tork 0-3 with two BB's... Clemens 2-5 with a couple singles.

Greene is having himself a day this last week. 

AAA East is going to be happy to see this crew promoted to Detroit. Who ever heard of a AAA lineup with 4 >850 OPS hitters?  :classic_angry:

Edited by gehringer_2

16 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Tork 0-3 with two BB's... Clemens 2-5 with a couple singles. Also: Aderlin Rodriguez with a Grand Slam. 29th HR this year...

One last note: I still think Elvin Rodriguez will turn into something for us... back-end starter, middle reliever... who knows? But he made his AAA debut with 2 innings, 1 hit and 3 K's...

Unless they give up 7 or more runs in the top of the 9th... that's it for these guys tonight in the batter's box.

Stoney said they need to keep Torkelson in the minors to improve his batting average.

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

The kid in Lakeland that I like is Wilmer Flores. He's built just like (6'4", 225) his brother Wilmer. I guess his dad Wilmer is built too. And he has two other brothers named Wilmer.

I like Flores in Lakeland, and I like Nick Davila too.

The only pitcher I like at West Michigan is Austin Bregner... can't think of any other pitcher I like at the Low-A/ High-A level.

Not certain how any of the 2021 draftees are doing in Lakeland... obviously I'm keen, at the very least, on Jobe and Madden.

21 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Tork seems to be hitting everything o right.... I wonder if his approach (perhaps honing that right field swing) may be part of why his average is low.

Just spitballing, could be off there. Either way, I'm not too concerned.

It could be. I was able to see him three times in Toledo, and outside of a bomb to centerfield, he was making a ton of hard hit outs. Most of them to right and center. 

I was at the game on Friday, and Aderlin Rodriguez’s grand slam landed on Monroe St. 

• Like 1

some duds in 2021:

Nick Quintana - god awful season except for a 2 week stretch in August; looks like he is going in full reverse as others pass him at 3b

Parker Meadows - the hit tool does not seem to be there; and he battled various injuries

Beau Burrows - awful

Franklin Perez - LOL

Elvin Rodriguez - reach AAA, but got worse as season progressed

Bryant Packard - popular sleeper pick had bad year, injured

Adinso Reyes - first state side ball for can be difficult for anyone, but was not good

Trei Cruz - lots of rope here as he got his first pro ABs, but not good

37 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember In my bold predictions from LAST year(covid shortened 2020) I said that I thought by the end of the year he'd be a key piece in our bullpen.  I just remember watching him in one of those intra squad games we did that summer and his stuff looked electric. 

Hess?

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'd like to see Hess pitch better. Not certain what his upside is but... he was only ok this year. Big guy at 6' 6" but he walks too many.

Wilmer looks like he could turn into something...

Flores is a reliever... Doesn't spin the CB well enough to hang as a starter.

8 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Can't that be taught though?

Or, alternatively, what can he be taught that would change that dynamic from reliever to starter?

Sure, anything can be taught, at least in theory. If I'm projecting Flores, I don't see the ability to snap the curveball and generate the spin necessary for a high quality pitch. That's a harder thing to teach....not everyone can do it. Truly, to avoid the reliever tag for me, he'd need to show some evidence of something softer in his arsenal. Until that happens, it's a power reliever profile.