Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-tools-in-arizona-fall-league-fall-stars-game#:~:text=Best changeup%3A Garrett,fade and depth.

Best changeup: Garrett Hill, RHP, Tigers

Hill is more about deception than power, an approach he has ridden to a 2.54 ERA in three pro seasons and a 1.98 mark with 21 strikeouts in 13 2/3 innings in the AFL. He consistently fools hitters with his changeup, which sits in the low 80s and combines fade and depth.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

That is bold.

I know Wentz is their most advanced pitching prospect at the moment, but I'm a little surprised at how highly he is regarded around here.  I am not a prospect hound by any stretch and I am not saying people are wrong, but is his probability of success in the majors really that high?  I've always regarded him as one of those guys Bill LaJoie was talking about when he said "you need 10 top pitching prospects to produce two good major leaguers".  

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I know Wentz is their most advanced pitching prospect at the moment, but I'm a little surprised at how highly he is regarded around here.  I am not a prospect hound by any stretch and I am not saying people are wrong, but is his probability of success in the majors really that high?  I've always regarded him as one of those guys Bill LaJoie was talking about when he said "you need 10 top pitching prospects to produce two good major leaguers".  

Agree 100%....the salivating about Wentz has been baffling

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Wentz was lights out when the showed up at Erie in 2019. It was only a handful of games but he dominated so that got people charged up. In his come back from TJ he was putting up good BA against but still hadn't gotten his walk rate back down where it needs to be as the season ended. But command is the usually the last thing that comes back, so we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

if the Tigers don't protect Hill, he'll be eligible for the Rule 5.  I would think a team would take a flyer on him, especially based on his AFL performance.

I count 7 guys on the 40 today I don't think would be losses so I'd be willing to protect some new guys.

Edited by gehringer_2

40 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wentz was lights out when the showed up at Erie in 2019. It was only a handful of games but he dominated so that got people charged up. In his come back from TJ he was putting up good BA against but still hadn't gotten his walk rate back down where it needs to be as the season ended. But command is the usually the last thing that comes back, so we'll see.

yep; this is how he finished 2019 with both Atl and Det

image.png.fbc444a1e2daa3a6dfd1a0f7d5a76d95.png

• 2 weeks later...