Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

40 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

If you have enough of those guys in the minors, it’s not dreaming too hard to think one or two exceed the projection enough to be solid contributors. Not Allstars, but the kind of player you feel little urgency to replace with some stud. And someone like Baddoo is really a minors guy, right? That’s where he would have been if not for Rule V, and he exceeded projections. Who picked him out of the pool of draftable guys? Do we know? Seems that deserves some optimism. Not trying to be overly rose-colored in my perspective, just see a system that is better than in the past and not just Greene and Tork. 

I definitely think this system is probably in better shape overall than it has been at most points during my lifetime. But I understand the skepticism as well in the sense that you need to see some guys meet their potential and there isn't a history of that happening in this organization.

1 hour ago, Dan Gilmore said:

If you have enough of those guys in the minors, it’s not dreaming too hard to think one or two exceed the projection enough to be solid contributors. Not Allstars, but the kind of player you feel little urgency to replace with some stud. And someone like Baddoo is really a minors guy, right? That’s where he would have been if not for Rule V, and he exceeded projections. Who picked him out of the pool of draftable guys? Do we know? Seems that deserves some optimism. Not trying to be overly rose-colored in my perspective, just see a system that is better than in the past and not just Greene and Tork. 

yes and no. In baseball the wash out percentage for hitters is really high - you can have big numbers and all of them will still wash out. If I were managing a baseball draft system I would probably ignore most of the high floor guys. I don't care if my MiLB teams win, I just want to score one above replacement player per year. HS talent like Greeen and Jobe and internationals are high risk but they are where the payoff comes when you hit.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

There are a number of prospects towards the top that have huge ceilings, which is nice. They are either off to slow starts (Campos, Dingler) or have little or no track record at all (Santana, Jobe), which is why they aren't ranked higher. Hopefully a couple of those guys can take steps forward this year, they all have the potential to be impact players.

Add in another top ten pick and maybe a sleeper prospect making a jump and they can keep  providing the big league team with cost controlled talent.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The draft lottery is happening!

I don't care one way or another on the lottery.  I hope it will stop teams from intentionally tanking like the Tigers did. 

I'm good with the universal DH. AL teams were at a big disadvantage in interleague play. 

I think people are putting way too much stock into how much teams care about draft position in baseball. Perfect example was the year we got Mize, all SF had to do was lose the last game and they'd get the 1st pick, instead they put out their best lineup including their ace pitcher. They could've easily rested them but they didn't.

Then the following year the white sox were in contention for a top pick, what did they do? They called up all their top prospects including the then number 1 guy in baseball Yoan Moncada effectively killing any chance at number 1 or 2.

Teams know that more than any other sport that baseball drafts are a crapshoot and they certainly aren't going to change the way they build their team or play the game for a better pick. 

I don't really care about the draft lottery.  It will be an interesting piece of news to look forward to and I won't have to see Tigers fans rooting for the team to lose in their bad years.  On principle, I also don't like teams being rewarded for incompetence.  I agree that it won't make a big difference though.   

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't really care about the draft lottery.  It will be an interesting piece of news to look forward to and I won't have to see Tigers fans rooting for the team to lose in their bad years.  On principle, I also don't like teams being rewarded for incompetence.  I agree that it won't make a big difference though.   

Come on, Lee. There are 30 teams, somebody is going to be on the bottom. Talent is not going to pan out evenly. It can easily take 5 years or more for a competitive imbalance to reverse. It doesn't at all imply incompetence. Bigger issue is to make sure bottom teams can reverse fortunes, and thats the purpose of a draft. Corrupting it with a lottery is irrational.

3 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Come on, Lee. There are 30 teams, somebody is going to be on the bottom. Talent is not going to pan out evenly. It can easily take 5 years or more for a competitive imbalance to reverse. It doesn't at all imply incompetence. Bigger issue is to make sure bottom teams can reverse fortunes, and thats the purpose of a draft. Corrupting it with a lottery is irrational.

Its not irrational if they always want the Yankees and Red Sox to be the best teams and there are a handful of similar big market teams and the rest are the chum.   Manfred thinks the AL Central for example are all chum. 

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Its not irrational if they always want the Yankees and Red Sox to be the best teams and there are a handful of similar big market teams and the rest are the chum.   Manfred thinks the AL Central for example are all chum. 

This isn't sport to Manfred.  Its premium entertainment. 

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

It depends on how many teams are in the lottery.  It won't be 30 teams.  If it's 8 teams, all 8 teams are going to need to get better.  The team that finishes last is not more deserving of the first pick than several other bad teams.  

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It depends on how many teams are in the lottery.  It won't be 30 teams.  If it's 8 teams, all 8 teams are going to need to get better.  The team that finishes last is not more deserving of the first pick than several other bad teams.  

Sure they are, for the same reason the worst team is more deserving than the best. Teams draft in reverse order for a reason. Besides, it's pointless, accomplishes nothing, with so many other real issues to be addressed.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Sure they are, for the same reason the worst team is more deserving than the best. Teams draft in reverse order for a reason. Besides, it's pointless, accomplishes nothing, with so many other real issues to be addressed.

I don't think the last place team is necessarily in more need of help than teams a few spots ahead of them.  Maybe the last place has been "tanking" for five years and already got some high picks.  Maybe the team five spots ahead of them just got old and this is their first bad year.  I would say that the latter team was more in need of draft pick help.    

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Law had high praise for Greene, said he has "wicked bat speed" and can handle center field for the foreseeable future but would be plus at the corners. Also says that "I can easily see him being a 300/400/.550 guy and if he does he would on the short list for best player in baseball"

I think Law didn't like the Tigers a few years ago because they had poor prospects and he delivered the news correctly.  Now, they have good prospects, so he likes them.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think Law didn't like the Tigers a few years ago because they had poor prospects and he delivered the news correctly.  Now, they have good prospects, so he likes them.  

Yeah and I think he genuinely hated how we constructed the teams back then,  it went against everything he liked. Like we basically ignored the draft by giving up picks to sign relievers and DHs, which went against his mentality, gave out huge contracts to guys that didn't look like would age well and would trade what good prospects we had for players that weren't exactly superstars like Sanchez,Infante and Fister. 

I remember him loving the Granderson trade cause that fit his taste on what he liked, trade a guy who is going to be expensive for 2 cost controlled players with upside. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Law has changed the way he writes now too, it wasn't just Tigers fans that thought he hated them it was all because of the tone he would use. Even if he liked something or somebody he would spend more time highlighting the negatives and then maybe just put a little snippet of the positives. He doesn't seem to do that anymore. 

Like even in his chat the other day a Tigers fan basically was putting down our team about how horrible we draftex the past 20 years and how we can't find guys out of the first round and he's like "its hard to find guys like that, they found Skubal and have Kreidler and Dingler who I like, it hasn't been that bad. " like he was talking the fan off the ledge. He never used to be like that. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

38 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Like even in his chat the other day a Tigers fan basically was putting down our team about how horrible we draftex the past 20 years and how we can't find guys out of the first round and he's like "its hard to find guys like that, they found Skubal and have Kreidler and Dingler who I like, it hasn't been that bad. " like he was talking the fan off the ledge. He never used to be like that. 

He's also spot on as well.... I sometimes wonder, when we all complain about the Tigers depth, whether there's a bit of "grass is always greener" going on.

Edited by mtutiger

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The number of lottery teams can be debated.  I think, at least the way I look at things, its difficult to distinctly order MLB teams 1-30 because of the parity from one team to another.  I tend to look at MLB teams more in tiers.  Now, sure, there are the 2003 Tigers and 2001 Mariners were you look at the standings and see that they are weeks of wins below/ahead of the next place team.  But in general, is 79-83 much different than 82-80?

10 hours ago, Longgone said:

I agree that the lottery probably should be low on the list of priorities.  I don't know if a lottery is as essential for a sport like baseball as it is for basketball.  The top basketball talents are basically top pro league ready on draft day.  And the difference in team composition and game play really place more importance on a singular player in basketball vs baseball.  Baseball doesn't have that immediacy or individual player importance on a team (I'm struggling to find the right phrase here) that basketball does.

I think the DH issue needed to be solved.  I think they need to improve the flow of the game (which may or may not be something that gets rolled into a CBA, but since they are at the table, it needs to be discussed).  They need to figure out the finances for sure.  I don't think an expanded playoff is necessary, but I think it could be adjusted.  And maybe its time to realign geographically.

Here's a good one that I heard last night on MLB radio.  The minimum salary in the NHL is lower than in MLB.  How is that possible given the revenue streams between the two sports?  I suppose that's possible because the top guys aren't getting $20M-$30M per season.  It was just strange to hear that about the minimum salaries.

32 minutes ago, casimir said:

I agree that the lottery probably should be low on the list of priorities.  I don't know if a lottery is as essential for a sport like baseball as it is for basketball.  The top basketball talents are basically top pro league ready on draft day.  And the difference in team composition and game play really place more importance on a singular player in basketball vs baseball.  Baseball doesn't have that immediacy or individual player importance on a team (I'm struggling to find the right phrase here) that basketball does.

It's not "essential" in basketball! It hasn't changed behavior one iota, nor has it had the slightest impact in the NHL. It is an irrational response to a mythical problem. It's all perception, not reality.

• Like 1