Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Bummer, I mentioned this before but I remember back to those intra squad games in 2020, Hess was a guy that really impressed me, his stuff looked really electric and I even remember going as far as saying that I thought he was going to be a key piece in the backend of the bullpen that year in the bold predictions thread. Now here we are 2 years later and he's gonna be out atleast a year and a half. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Bummer, I mentioned this before but I remember back to those intra squad games in 2020, Hess was a guy that really impressed me, his stuff looked really electric and I even remember going as far as saying that I thought he was going to be a key piece in the backend of the bullpen that year in the bold predictions thread. Now here we are 2 years later and he's gonna be out atleast a year and a half. 

Seems like an odd time to discover that, unless he played winter ball.  He could be ready by next spring with some luck.  I think he’s repped by Bauer’s agent, Rachel Luba, who hasn’t been very lucky with clients (also reps Puig).

26 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Seems like an odd time to discover that, unless he played winter ball.  He could be ready by next spring with some luck.  I think he’s repped by Bauer’s agent, Rachel Luba, who hasn’t been very lucky with clients (also reps Puig).

Or they had him rest his arm for a couple of months after the season and when he restarted conditioning it was no better.

Edited by gehringer_2

It's crazy when I think about how young these kids are and try to compare it to what it would be like for me. Like with Santana being born in 2004, that means that Tram's prime was 15-20 years before he was born, that would be like a guy in the late 50s to early 60s to me. When I was 18 I'd probably have no idea who that hypothetical player was unless it was like Mantle, Mays, Aaron etc. No disrespect to Tram but I certainly wouldn't have known who an equivalent player to him was. 

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's crazy when I think about how young these kids are and try to compare it to what it would be like for me. Like with Santana being born in 2004, that means that Tram's prime was 15-20 years before he was born, that would be like a guy in the late 50s to early 60s to me. When I was 18 I'd probably have no idea who that hypothetical player was unless it was like Mantle, Mays, Aaron etc. No disrespect to Tram but I certainly wouldn't have known who an equivalent player to him was. 

That would have been 1940s for me.  I knew Peewee Reese and Lou Boudreau, but I know that a lot of (most?) kids wouldn't know them.  

21 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That would have been 1940s for me.  I knew Peewee Reese and Lou Boudreau, but I know that a lot of (most?) kids wouldn't know them.  

its also much easier to learn about those older players now than if you grew up in the 70s and 80s.  now you have the internet, countless channels devoted to sports, and more ability to learn if youre so inclined.

which is not a criticism of santana for not knowing trammell.  honestly, i wouldnt expect him to know.

I have always wondered how many players are really into baseball history and would follow the current game closely if they didn't have to.  Surely, there are some, but I imagine they spend most of their efforts getting stronger and honing their skills and are less interested in things like history.  

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I have always wondered how many players are really into baseball history and would follow the current game closely if they didn't have to.  Surely, there are some, but I imagine they spend most of their efforts getting stronger and honing their skills and are less interested in things like history.  

yup - for sure I've heard players, when challenged by people like sportswriters about the fact that they don't know much about the history of the game basically come back with - "time spent on all that doesn't make me a better player today"

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yup - for sure I've heard players, when challenged by people like sportswriters about the fact that they don't know much about the history of the game basically come back with - "time spent on all that doesn't make me a better player today"

Yeah, I understand that, but it's still refreshing to hear about a player who does enjoy the games's history.  

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/picks-to-click-who-we-expect-to-make-the-2023-top-100/

Guys who they expect to make the jump to the top 100 next year. There's about 50 guys listed and 2 Tigers made the list, Ty Madden and Colt Keith.  I would hope more than just those 2 make it but if that ends up being the case the Tigers will have 4 guys in the top 100 along with Jobe and Dingler(assuming they don't fall out) which I suppose wouldn't be that terrible considering the influx of top guys they graduated to the big leagues.

Speaking of Keith, McCoskey says he has filled out big time and appears to be like 225lbs and appears to be heading to 3B like scouts figured. For the record by filled out I mean just matured and put on muscle weight not filled out in the Isaac Paredes way. 

• 3 weeks later...