Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

I actually forgot about Faedo, yeah it's a shame for him that his injury happened when it did cause IIRC he was starting to look alot better towards the end of 2019. If he didn't get hurt in the summer of 2020 I imagine he would've been called up in that COVID season for the Tigers. 

12 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Was just reading in the Richmond paper that the Flying Squirrels ballpark is on the warning list. They are currently the Double A franchise for San Francisco. The current configuration opened in 1985 and I'm assuming they haven't done much in the way of upgrades outside replacing the roof on the grandstands in 2004after Hurricane Isabel. The park also serves VCU baseball. A lot of today's story focused on the lack of food options and 20 minute plus waits for  hot dog (opening day)

The city has been screwing around wit plans for a new facility for some time now, either at its current location or one closer to the restaurant district. Hopefully this will light a fire. 

There is also a wish that the General Assembly will add some funds for the facility while they are giving a sweet heart deal to the Commanders. Maybe it would also draw a more appealing team than one based on the West Coast.

I recall in the not too distant past the Richmond Flying Squirrels ownership stating publicly and clearly that the team would absolutely would need a new facility if it was going to stay in Richmond. At the time of the statement I believe another site was being discussed in Richmond but can’t be sure of that. 
Yes, the current park is old. The current team ownership spruced it up a bit when the SF Giants relocated their AA team from Connecticut with the hopes of getting a new facility in time. As I recall, that was a part of the conversation surrounding their move.
My son and his family live in the Richmond area and catch some games there in the summer. My wife and I have been there many times over the years. For years it was the AAA facility for the Richmond Braves as I’m pretty sure you know. The park is super accessible off I-95 which I have always liked. 
Regarding the comments about delays on opening day for concessions, I would be willing to bet that that was a direct result of staffing inefficiency's and lack of organization. I’ve been to many opening day games at different parks and it is not unusual for new hires to be less than efficient on opening night with large crowd turnouts. OJT isn’t easy. Per their promo schedule, Will Clark was scheduled to be there on opening night also. 

You surprised me a bit with your closing comment about Richmond possibly getting “a more appealing team than one based on the west coast.”

The SF affiliate has been one of the top draws in their league since relocating from Connecticut. There have been many high profile players go through Richmond that ended up on SF WS teams. I don’t know how you could improve on their track record there. However, they absolutely do need a new park. When MLB took over the minors with their upgrade requirements, The Diamond was definitely in the spotlight. I seriously hope they get things ironed out for a new park in Richmond soon. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, and the correction on the draw the Squirrels have in the region. I really need to see a game or three this summer. The team would be an easier reach than having to fight the HRBT from James City County. We spend enough time doing business in Mechanicsville and Short Pump anyway. 

While doing a bit more research it looks like they are looking to locate it adjacent to the current park along with some VCU sports related facilities. Hopefully it will work out since it looks like they're being stiffed by the WFT after spending money on a summer training facility. The area has changed quit a bit since we left 30 years ago. 

I really need to get out to a game or three this summer

Edited by CMRivdogs

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Jobe's 1st pro inning: single, reached on error, WP, SF. SF, BB, FO.

edit: don't tell Jack Morris, but that's all for JJ today.

Good Lord those numbers look good, granted he has a LONG ways to go but it's easy to see the potential he has when he can post those type of spin numbers in his first pro start less than a year out of high school. 

Jobe has a very long way to go. But, if he was in the majors, the spin rates on his four seam fastball and curveball would both be #1 in MLB among starters. It is encouraging that his raw stuff is as advertised. 

By the looks of it, I'd guess he doesn't a high active spin % on his fastball, so a lot of it is wasted. It's also probably easy to spot the curveball out of his hand at this point so batters can just lay off it. You can tell he's very raw. It's just that his upside, if he hits it, is to be the best pitcher in baseball. Someone like Casey Mize never had that ceiling. Of course, odds are Jobe doesn't get close to that ceiling. 

There's going to be lots of pressure on him because there are several hitters taken after him that could reasonably have been taken at #3 that look really good so far and are also higher than him on prospect lists. 

Edited by Scottwood

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Would be nice to see our bat-first recent draftees (Bryant Packard & Daniel Cabrera), start to hit.  Neither profiled to have big power, but they were supposed to hit for average. Obviously early this season, but they haven’t shown a lot prior to this year..

Any honest post-draft assessment of both players would have yielded, at best, a bench bat or fringe regular projection. The gap between that outcome and let's say, Dean Green, isn't very large, so even the slightest bit of skill degradation against more advanced pro arms and you're looking squarely a two org players that can hit a bit on occasion, or someone not unlike Dean Green.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, microline133 said:

Any honest post-draft assessment of both players would have yielded, at best, a bench bat or fringe regular projection. The gap between that outcome and let's say, Dean Green, isn't very large, so even the slightest bit of skill degradation against more advanced pro arms and you're looking squarely a two org players that can hit a bit on occasion, or someone not unlike Dean Green.

Thanks for the Dean Green reference!  I remember someone once said of him "can hurt you with his glove, even at DH".

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Thanks for the Dean Green reference!  I remember someone once said of him "can hurt you with his glove, even at DH".

I think I made similar remarks about Green (and Billy Nowlin back in the day), though I tended toward the idea that they could hurt themselves with their glove, hence the reason they should only DH.

• Like 1

Wacky game in Toledo.  Zach Short (1st inning) and Daz Cameron (2nd inning) get rung up on 3rd strikes via pitch clock infractions (which I need to trademark as stalled 3rd strikes).  Then a called check swing strike gets hitting coach Adam Mellhuse and manager Lloyd McClendon tossed.  The batter after that is awarded 1st due to catcher's interference.  And Joey Wentz is pitching right handed.

(OK, that last part might be false).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

(Lakeland) Faedo: 4IP, 1H, 2BB, 5K

(WM) Dylan Smith: 4IP, 2H, 7K, 1ER (HR)

(Tol) Wentz: 4.2IP, 2H, 1ER, 4BB, 3K 

EDIT:

should add that Carlos Pena finished the Lakeland game with 4IP of no-hit, no walk ball with 7K

Wow! I totally forgot that guy existed. Carlos Pena Part Deux but this one is a pitcher.

Edited by Tigermojo

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

EDIT:

should add that Carlos Pena finished the Lakeland game with 4IP of no-hit, no walk ball with 7K

Erie

Hill 5IP, 2H, 1R, 2BB, 10K

Olson 5IP, 4H, 3R, 0BB, 9K

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

EDIT:

Dylan Smith is looking like he could be a fast riser...