Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Not sure where to put this ….

MLB is is currently communicating to the different minor league park/facility owners that the funding and plans to upgrade to MLB required  standards will be due in 2023. The Durham Bulls (AAA) have determined that in order to meet the MLB demands the costs will be $10 million. The Asheville Tourists (A+) will be looking at a $30 million tab. Asheville is one of the oldest parks in use today. It’s a great fan experience. Some of the Asheville money will go for upgrading the fan experience that current ownership wants in addition to the the MLB core requirements. I’m sure many teams will face these challenges in the coming year. I could imagine that some teams may even be forced to relocate at some point if city and town officials don’t approve of spending money on ballparks. As I understand it, MLB is putting zero dollars into this. 

14 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Not sure where to put this ….

MLB is is currently communicating to the different minor league park/facility owners that the funding and plans to upgrade to MLB required  standards will be due in 2023. The Durham Bulls (AAA) have determined that in order to meet the MLB demands the costs will be $10 million. The Asheville Tourists (A+) will be looking at a $30 million tab. Asheville is one of the oldest parks in use today. It’s a great fan experience. Some of the Asheville money will go for upgrading the fan experience that current ownership wants in addition to the the MLB core requirements. I’m sure many teams will face these challenges in the coming year. I could imagine that some teams may even be forced to relocate at some point if city and town officials don’t approve of spending money on ballparks. As I understand it, MLB is putting zero dollars into this. 

I like the old minor league parks with their indiosyncrasies.  It's part of the experience  for me.  It's not the same as going  to a MLB game packed with over 30,000 people where I just want to be comfortable.  Minor league baseball is a different story.     

Durham is on my want to visit list this year. I have a doctors appointment at Duke the week Norfolk is there. May have to check into tickets. May need to talk the wife into a ballpark tour this summer, Richmond is just up the road, there is family in Roanoke (Salem), Lynchburg is on the way, maybe add Fredericksburg to the mix. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I like the old minor league parks with their indiosyncrasies.  It's part of the experience  for me.  It's not the same as going  to a MLB game packed with over 30,000 people where I just want to be comfortable.  Minor league baseball is a different story.     

What are some survivor minor league parks worth checking out? 

Edited by Tigeraholic1

21 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Of the 10 parks in North Carolina currently home to an affiliated team, I would encourage folks to attend a game in Asheville (Tourists) and a game in Kinston, NC. (Down East Wood Ducks) Both of these parks are yesteryear parks and lack some of the creature comforts newer parks offer. However, both parks are unique in their own ways and both parks have their own histories. i’ve been to both parks numerous times over the years and hope to get to them both again this season. They will both face difficulties I believe in satisfying MLB’s mandates for upgrades. I hope I am wrong on this.
Last year my wife and I completed a “bucket list” item that had been out there a while. We have now been to a game in all 10 active minor league parks in North Carolina. Three new parks in the state in the past several years put us in the catch up mode.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 11:50 AM, Tigeraholic1 said:

HIGHLY recommend Bosse Field in Evansville, Indiana.  Triplets use to play there, A League of Their Own was filmed there and it is the third oldest park (1915) behind Fenway and Wrigley.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I suspect Madden isn't going to be there that long, good place for him to start but I think he will carve up Single A hitters with relative ease or atleast I'm hoping that is the case.

Definitely, he has the stuff and experience to be one of the quicker movers from the overall 2021 draft class.