Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

11 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

except for BB, all relevant minor league arms who pitched opening weekend looked solid to great

I'd rather have Beau in AA right now, he has a ways to go with his breaking stuff. His fastball and change are pretty good.

40 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Parker playing like he wants to join his bro sometime in the future

He changed his swing this offseason...

That, and the new minor leagues instructional team... Let's see if he's able to recover any prospect status this year as he's lost quite a lot of that so far in his career...

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

He changed his swing this offseason...

That, and the new minor leagues instructional team... Let's see if he's able to recover any prospect status this year as he's lost quite a lot of that so far in his career...

If he can make more consistent contact, he’ll start to move.  Elite speed, can play CF and has power.  Would be nice to see it come together for him.

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If he can make more consistent contact, he’ll start to move.  Elite speed, can play CF and has power.  Would be nice to see it come together for him.

it would be a huge coup for new PD team if they can at least get him moving up, let alone something out of him at the major league level

he is bracketed by a pair of huge 2nd round flops Rivers (2017) and Quintana (2019)

8 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Is he the guy the Atlantic wrote a profile on during ST?

i think that was Brieske. this guy was signed after 5 round 2020 draft. But someone noted above, one regional scout id'ed both guys (an UDFA and a 27th round pick)

FWIW, FG has him 13 and

Law had him 17 - but he could probably move to the bullpen and see the majors by the end of this year.

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I want to be excited about Meadows but until he does this in AA I'm going to temper my expectations.  This is his 3rd season in West Michigan so I would hope he'd dominate it, if he goes to Erie and impresses I will then start to get a little excited.  

to be fair, this is his 2nd season in high A.

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I want to be excited about Meadows but until he does this in AA I'm going to temper my expectations.  This is his 3rd season in West Michigan so I would hope he'd dominate it, if he goes to Erie and impresses I will then start to get a little excited.  

West Michigan changed levels in that time.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:38 AM, 1776 said:

Not sure where to put this ….

MLB is is currently communicating to the different minor league park/facility owners that the funding and plans to upgrade to MLB required  standards will be due in 2023. The Durham Bulls (AAA) have determined that in order to meet the MLB demands the costs will be $10 million. The Asheville Tourists (A+) will be looking at a $30 million tab. Asheville is one of the oldest parks in use today. It’s a great fan experience. Some of the Asheville money will go for upgrading the fan experience that current ownership wants in addition to the the MLB core requirements. I’m sure many teams will face these challenges in the coming year. I could imagine that some teams may even be forced to relocate at some point if city and town officials don’t approve of spending money on ballparks. As I understand it, MLB is putting zero dollars into this. 

Was just reading in the Richmond paper that the Flying Squirrels ballpark is on the warning list. They are currently the Double A franchise for San Francisco. The current configuration opened in 1985 and I'm assuming they haven't done much in the way of upgrades outside replacing the roof on the grandstands in 2004after Hurricane Isabel. The park also serves VCU baseball. A lot of today's story focused on the lack of food options and 20 minute plus waits for  hot dog (opening day)

The city has been screwing around wit plans for a new facility for some time now, either at its current location or one closer to the restaurant district. Hopefully this will light a fire. 

There is also a wish that the General Assembly will add some funds for the facility while they are giving a sweet heart deal to the Commanders. Maybe it would also draw a more appealing team than one based on the West Coast.