Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, casimir said:

This doesn't bode well for if/when they don't finish in the bottom 5 of the league and don't have access to top picks.

The flipside is that I think it's premature.

We have Internationals that were just breaking into the USA... a year, or maybe two, of struggles I don't think is uncommon and doesn't portend the future failure or break-out of Campos or Santana or a few others... It's just too early to tell. Also, we have the type of guys who, if they have a really nice year (Madden, Pacheco, Dingler, Jobe, Campos, Santana, Keith, Workman, etc...) will fly up the rankings. 

I don't care what Keith Law says. I don't care about #12... the only thing I care about is having several of these guys break out this year and taking, not just higher spots in the rankings but, higher expectations in the Tigers Organization. And showing that our organization is on the right track and CAN draft and develop guys... not just top 10 picks.

57 minutes ago, casimir said:

This doesn't bode well for if/when they don't finish in the bottom 5 of the league and don't have access to top picks.

It really depends on whether one believes that what has happened in the past will largely continue going forward.

There have been enough organizational changes that have happened in the past 1-2 years where I don't know that's a safe assumption to make.

Edited by mtutiger

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It really depends on whether one believes that what has happened in the past will largely continue going forward.

There have been enough organizational changes that have happened in the past 1-2 years where I don't know that's a safe assumption to make.

That's fair, but until it happens, it ain't happening.

37 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The org chart certainly looks a lot different - new people in charge of Personnel, Development, Scouting.  David Chadd is still there, he's an assistant GM now, in charge of macarena lessons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

That is where I am as well. Until we start seeing some progress it's still the same guys who have been there for the last 10 years in charge. 

Tough audience. The Tigers played 6 mo of 500 ball last season - I take that as progress for a team that lost 114 in the prior full season.

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The flipside is that I think it's premature.

We have Internationals that were just breaking into the USA... a year, or maybe two, of struggles I don't think is uncommon and doesn't portend the future failure or break-out of Campos or Santana or a few others... It's just too early to tell. Also, we have the type of guys who, if they have a really nice year (Madden, Pacheco, Dingler, Jobe, Campos, Santana, Keith, Workman, etc...) will fly up the rankings. 

I don't care what Keith Law says. I don't care about #12... the only thing I care about is having several of these guys break out this year and taking, not just higher spots in the rankings but, higher expectations in the Tigers Organization. And showing that our organization is on the right track and CAN draft and develop guys... not just top 10 picks.

Like I said, until it happens, it ain’t happening, because it hasn’t happened.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

My reservation also includes draft picks outside of the 2nd round.

From this past draft? Or just historically?

Certainly past results don't justify trust, I'm on board with that, but I do think we need to keep an open mind about who is in the system currently and entered the system in 2021. Past results may not predict future performance, particularly with the org turnover they have had.

Edited by mtutiger

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

From this past draft? Or just historically?

Certainly past results don't justify trust, I'm on board with that, but I do think we need to keep an open mind about who is in the system currently and entered the system in 2021. Past results may not predict future performance, particularly with the org turnover they have had.

Historically.  I think its too early to tell with the past draft or two (or three).

They've revamped the front office and how they're going about what they do.  It needed to be done because says they weren't doing well with the minor league system.  Whether or not they've done it the right way remains to be seen.  I'm not saying it won't work, but I'm not saying it will work either.  What they were doing before didn't work, so moving away from that is cause for optimism.

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

BTW Dingler made Law's "Just missed" list and in his chat somebody asked about Kriedler and he said something to the effect of "I like him, think he could have a long career but not sure if he'll ever be a top 100 guy." 

This is a lot of what I see below Greene/Tork when I look at the Tigers prospect lists... they have some talent that projects to be major league material, but nobody who is can't miss or projects to be much beyond serviceable.

Things can change, but that's the status quo at the moment 

Edited by mtutiger

If you have enough of those guys in the minors, it’s not dreaming too hard to think one or two exceed the projection enough to be solid contributors. Not Allstars, but the kind of player you feel little urgency to replace with some stud. And someone like Baddoo is really a minors guy, right? That’s where he would have been if not for Rule V, and he exceeded projections. Who picked him out of the pool of draftable guys? Do we know? Seems that deserves some optimism. Not trying to be overly rose-colored in my perspective, just see a system that is better than in the past and not just Greene and Tork. 

• Like 1

keith law tiger top 20:

greene, tork, dingler, jobe, kriedler, pacheco, dylan smith, ty madden, cristian santana, roberto campos.

colt keith, beau briske, gage workman, parker meadows, austin bergner, joey wentz, wilmer flores, eric de la rosa, eli alfonzo, manuel segura.

no faedo.  not nearly as high on wentz as some people here.  jobe is lower because he's a high school arm and those have a high fail rate.  hasnt pitched against pros yet, so he could move up really quickly if he lives up to his potential.

lots of young internationals in the top 10 now.  a good sign if they progress, or a sign that picking high hasnt netted all that much other than the first rounders.  or both.