Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

55 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I meant to post this last week but I forgot.  I personally think he has Faedo way too high at 7. I think Wentz is too high at 5 as well but I can see the argument since he is almost MLB ready, even if he likely isn't going to be any better than back of the rotation.

I also think Id put Tork at 1 over Greene but I can see both sides.  I just think Tork is more of a sure thing with the bat than Greene.

• 2 weeks later...

Gabe Alvarez was a part of one of Randy Smith's enigmas....

"We can't really afford Travis Fryman anymore, we gotta get younger.... let's trade him for some younger guys"

They trade him to get Joe Randa and Gabe Alvarez ( and Matt Drews because they lost him in the expansion draft after trading Cecil Fielder for him so they gotta recoup that loss).

Then after a year of nothing at 3B they sign... Dean Palmer for more money than they would have had to pay Fryman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

"We can't really afford Travis Fryman anymore, we gotta get younger.... let's trade him for some younger guys"

They trade him to get Joe Randa and Gabe Alvarez ( and Matt Drews because they lost him in the expansion draft after trading Cecil Fielder for him so they gotta recoup that loss).

Then after a year of nothing at 3B they sign... Dean Palmer for more money than they would have had to pay Fryman.

I thought of Fryman a few years ago when the lions let Riley Reif go because he was too expensive at LT and then went and signed a RT for the highest (at the time) salary in the league.

I thinks it goes back to the difference between GMs who are playing video games vs those that have a vision for building a team. I think the guys that succeed actually have a plan where all the things they do fit together. The guys that fail are managing each position/contract in insolation, are basically reactionary instead of pro-active.

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I thought of Fryman a few years ago when the lions let Riley Reif go because he was too expensive at LT and then went and signed a RT for the highest (at the time) salary in the league.

I thinks it goes back to the difference between GMs who are playing video games vs those that have a vision for building a team. I think the guys that succeed actually have a plan where all the things they do fit together. The guys that fail are managing each position/contract in insolation, are basically reactionary instead of pro-active.

and trading Fryman was symbolically bad because he was the only homegrown talent they developed in a long time. He was the comp pick for losing Parrish to FA.  He had a couple of good seasons in Cleveland.  Oddly enough both Dean and Fryman crashed hard after their age 31 season in 2000.

I remember his first HR, there was a little dust up, I think he trash talked.  Sparky just said "I talked to him... he won't do it again."  He later named one of his sons after Sparky (George, not Sparky).

40 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Smith's transactions never seemed to have a point to them.  Those seven-player trades with the Astros and Padres were always fun though.  

I wonder if it's possible to know how many times a GM traded for the same player more than once?

A fun trivia game, in person, no phones or whatever, is to guess which player was part of which trades.  They all run together.  Ausmus, Brocail, Lima, Todd Jones, Holt, Meluskey.... 

one year he signed Phil Plantier then traded him in Spring Training.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Smith's transactions never seemed to have a point to them.  Those seven-player trades with the Astros and Padres were always fun though.  

They are fun when I try to do WAR trees for trades. Not as fun as the Dombrowski minage-a-trois but still...

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I wonder if it's possible to know how many times a GM traded for the same player more than once?

A fun trivia game, in person, no phones or whatever, is to guess which player was part of which trades.  They all run together.  Ausmus, Brocail, Lima, Todd Jones, Holt, Meluskey.... 

one year he signed Phil Plantier then traded him in Spring Training.

Without looking anything up it seems like Brocail arrived here twice and possibly Ausmus too.

10 hours ago, oblong said:

One of my favorite bits of trivia about Fryman is that his slash line was essentially the same in Detroit and Cleveland.  .274/.334/.444 for the good guys, .275/.339/.440 for the other team.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oblong said:

Joe Randa...

I legit forgot he was a Tiger at one point.

Edited by mtutiger

I just remember in Gabe's first or 2nd game he hit 2HRs against the Cardinals and the headline the following day in the freep just said "Gabe Ruth". I have no idea why that stuck in my memory after all these years but it did. 

Also I was a 16 or 17 year old kid at the time who paid no attention to prospects or minor league stats, I just got excited and bought into a player if they made an immediate impact and would take no account of their pedigree or how they were projected so in Gabe's case I did buy in after that game.. perhaps that's why I remember it and the headline so vividly.

Edited by RandyMarsh