Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

53 minutes ago, Archie said:

I think if the Tigers and Hinch wanted Tork to play at 3B in Toledo that's where he would of played.  If Prince was told to play him there and refused I could see Prince being let go before the end of the season and Tork playing 3B.

They wanted to give Short, Paredes, Kreidler, Clemens and who knows who else all time on the Hen's IF - i.e. it was already crowded before Tork got there. It made sense to leave him at 1st.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

They wanted to give Short, Paredes, Kreidler, Clemens and who knows who else all time on the Hen's IF - i.e. it was already crowded before Tork got there. I wasn't surprised they left him at 1st.

One minor league manager was let go. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

One minor league manager was let go. 

Upon learning of the execution, the French writer, philosopher and playwright Voltaire satirically wrote that the British needed to occasionally execute an admiral from time to time, “in order to encourage the others.” Although his comments were written as a form of mockery, surprisingly, the observation was entirely accurate.

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Upon learning of the execution, the French writer, philosopher and playwright Voltaire satirically wrote that the British needed to occasionally execute an admiral from time to time, “in order to encourage the others.” Although his comments were written as a form of mockery, surprisingly, the observation was entirely accurate.

👍

10 hours ago, Archie said:

I think if the Tigers and Hinch wanted Tork to play at 3B in Toledo that's where he would of played.  If Prince was told to play him there and refused I could see Prince being let go before the end of the season and Tork playing 3B.

Hinch stated from day one that Tork was going to just play first base at Toledo.

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

They wanted to give Short, Paredes, Kreidler, Clemens and who knows who else all time on the Hen's IF - i.e. it was already crowded before Tork got there. It made sense to leave him at 1st.

I don't think this had anything to do with the players you listed... None of them take precedence over Tork

And everything to do with Jeimer Candelario.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Jeimer Candelario.

Jeimer shouldn't be playing 162 games. He's not a reason that you shouldn't have a spare 3b. If Paredes doesn't make it and Willi and Niko are not on the team (Please!) then Tork being worked out at 3rd and Schoop/Cabrera at 1st/DH all works fine for giving Jeimer an occasional off day.  So I still want him to be able to play there if his play there can cut it.

Not to mention, guys get hurt. If he can, I'd sure rather have Tork playing 3rd every day than Harold Castro if Jeimer were to go down. I don't see any other solid backup 3b  - it could be Paredes - maybe, but it's still not clear he will stick.

Edited by gehringer_2

Except, by all reports, Tork was NOT doing fine at 3B.

I'd rather not mess with his head. Why would we do that? If he's very comfortable at 1B, then leave him at 1B. He's our biggest hitting prospect and we're going to try and force him to play 3B? When we have other options? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I'd rather play Paredes at 3B; than Schoop at 1B (adequate maybe?) and Tork at 3B (not very good there) and a weaker player at 2B. I have to disagree with you on this, bigly. Because that also makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Cabrera at 1B doesn't bother me, if Tork needs a day off or a half day off (DH); otherwise, leave him where he's most comfortable, where he's least exposed (more RH hitters hitting baseline screamers than LH'ed hitters), and actually a decent fielder from what he's shown so far: 1B.

Not 3B.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Except, by all reports, Tork was NOT doing fine at 3B.

I'd rather not mess with his head. Why would we do that? If he's very comfortable at 1B, then leave him at 1B. He's our biggest hitting prospect and we're going to try and force him to play 3B? When we have other options? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I'd rather play Paredes at 3B; than Schoop at 1B (adequate maybe?) and Tork at 3B (not very good there) and a weaker player at 2B. I have to disagree with you on this, bigly. Because that also makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Cabrera at 1B doesn't bother me, if Tork needs a day off or a half day off (DH); otherwise, leave him where he's most comfortable, where he's least exposed (more RH hitters hitting baseline screamers than LH'ed hitters), and actually a decent fielder from what he's shown so far: 1B.

Not 3B.

If Paredes makes the team.

7 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

On that... I don't want to lay odds but...

Aside from an unforeseen injury or trade, I think it's about 95% that Paredes makes the team next year.

There seems to be a divergence of opinion about him. I'll be curious to see who's right. I've said before I think he's a 'natural' baseball player in terms of having good instincts - but that and $3 will get you a Vente - he still has to hit.

16 hours ago, romad1 said:

Tork will have to be a very special RH hitting 1st baseman to justify that draft pick.  I can only think of one of those in recent Tiger history.  Yes, Chris Shelton. 

People like to bring up him being down the positional spectrum but look around the league there aren't a whole lot of guys out there that can play plus defense at 1st like Tork reportedly does and put up great offensive numbers. 

I think as long as he can put up something around .900 OPS with solid defense he'll be a 5 win player with a likely high wpa due to his offense and that would more than justify that pick.