Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

He always denied it I think.  Just good old-fashioned weightlifting.

For what it’s worth…

I was listening to an interview with Alex Dickerson of the Giants last year. The interviewer asked Dickerson which guy on the team spent the most time in the weight room. He stated that Kapler spends more time with weights than any player does. I recall Kapler used to be obsessive about his diet and gym regimen. He’s a different bird for sure. 

Edited by 1776

On 1/7/2022 at 11:33 AM, oblong said:

I wonder if it's possible to know how many times a GM traded for the same player more than once?

A fun trivia game, in person, no phones or whatever, is to guess which player was part of which trades.  They all run together.  Ausmus, Brocail, Lima, Todd Jones, Holt, Meluskey.... 

one year he signed Phil Plantier then traded him in Spring Training.

Pinky swear I am going off memory here...

Ausmus was acquired in 1996, I think from the Padres. He was shipped to the Astros in the mega deal between 1996 and 1997. The Tigers got him back from the Astros in 1999, then traded him back after 2000 in the Meluskey Holt deal.

Brocail was acquired in the big 1996-1997 deal. Then traded with Ausmus in the Holt Meluskey deal.

Lima originally signed with the Tigers. He was dealt to Houston in that huge deal before 1997. Brought back in 2001 in a mutual salary dump from Houston for Dave Mlicki.

Todd Jones was acquired in that big 1997 deal from the Astros. Traded to the Twins for Mark Redman in 2001. Brought back as a free agent in 2006 and was with the team through 2008.

Holt and Meluskey were acquired for Ausmus and Brocail after 2000. Neither lasted more than a year or two. Holt was the last player until Fulmer a couple years ago the Tigers took to arbitration. 

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Pinky swear I am going off memory here...

Ausmus was acquired in 1996, I think from the Padres. He was shipped to the Astros in the mega deal between 1996 and 1997. The Tigers got him back from the Astros in 1999, then traded him back after 2000 in the Meluskey Holt deal.

Brocail was acquired in the big 1996-1997 deal. Then traded with Ausmus in the Holt Meluskey deal.

Lima originally signed with the Tigers. He was dealt to Houston in that huge deal before 1997. Brought back in 2001 in a mutual salary dump from Houston for Dave Mlicki.

Todd Jones was acquired in that big 1997 deal from the Astros. Traded to the Twins for Mark Redman in 2001. Brought back as a free agent in 2006 and was with the team through 2008.

Holt and Meluskey were acquired for Ausmus and Brocail after 2000. Neither lasted more than a year or two. Holt was the last player until Fulmer a couple years ago the Tigers took to arbitration. 

Without looking it up I think you nailed it. 

30 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Mlicki was their ace in 1999 which said more about the rest of their staff than it did about him.  

What year was Willie Blair?  One of the few good things Smith did was let some other team waste a deal on him for his “good” season. 
Seems like the tigers also got aging middle infielders on their way out… Gregg jefferies. Scott fletcher. Billy Ripken. 

14 hours ago, oblong said:

What year was Willie Blair?  One of the few good things Smith did was let some other team waste a deal on him for his “good” season. 
Seems like the tigers also got aging middle infielders on their way out… Gregg jefferies. Scott fletcher. Billy Ripken. 

The Bobby Higginson era was bleak.  Even more so than the last five years have been.

15 hours ago, oblong said:

Again going off memory, I think Willie Blair's good year was 1997.  He won like 20 games and then signed with Arizona

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

The Bobby Higginson era was bleak.  Even more so than the last five years have been.

Poor Higginson, he was on the 1996 team and the 2003 team, they were just awful.  In 1996 he was an excellent player, but was washed up in 2003.

Brian Williams led that '96 staff in innings with 121.  His WHIP was 1.901.  I just read the entire '96 roster on b-ref...memory lane!  Especially if you were an avid reader of The Sporting News.

20 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Poor Higginson, he was on the 1996 team and the 2003 team, they were just awful.  In 1996 he was an excellent player, but was washed up in 2003.

Brian Williams led that '96 staff in innings with 121.  His WHIP was 1.901.  I just read the entire '96 roster on b-ref...memory lane!  Especially if you were an avid reader of The Sporting News.

Higginson never played on a winning team in college or the pros. 

Felipe Lira. Omar Olivares. Brian Bohanan. 

16 hours ago, oblong said:

Again from memory.

1997 was his big year, the year the Tigers pushed for .500. They got Nate Cornejo with the comp pick. They may have gotten two for a Type A.

This is murkier. I don't remember how he came back in 1999 but I think he was back 99-00.

39 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I looked it up. They got him for Randa. And yes he was with the team through 2000, but they needed somebody to eat innings and picked him up late 2001 after Cleveland dropped him.

Needed someone to eat innings.  Gosh, remember the Randy Wolf as a Tiger era?  Holy smokes, that was fun.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Javier Osorio has a good baseball face. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/tigers-2022-international-prospects

I agree 100%.  Based on his facial appearance he has an excellent chance to succeed. 

However I can't say that I am pleased that they might offer a contract to Samuel Gil.  There is no place on this baseball team for anyone whose surname is Gil.  Research all of the players in baseball history whose surname is Gil and you will find that their collective OPS+ is 59.  So, I'm putting a stop to this right now.