Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I was unaware the plan was to stretch Brieske out?

Don't they view him as a multi-inning reliever?

So yes... keep him stretched out for as long as possible.

I mean, last year, not... regardless of minors or majors. But in 2022 exclusively as a starter...

So...

I don't know?

Just a guess?

I may be wrong on that...

3 hours ago, microline133 said:

For me, when I see an assignment decision like this for a player that I've always viewed as a relief prospect, I connect the dots. He's not a long-term starter in their eyes, they just may not be ready to make the conversion for whatever reason

could it just be that if they leave him starting, he throws more innings and his command will develop faster than if they immediately move him to a reliever's work load? I guess it's a chicken and egg argument, but so many successful relievers did a lot of starting in the minors or even in the majors before converting.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

One of Hanifee, Englert, and Sammons will be the fifth starter. Maybe they start the year with six. Last year most of the Toledo starters were going 3-4 innings tops early in the year, so you have a lot of tandems and glue guys. You also have SGL likely heading down there on a rehab assignment pretty promptly. Long story short, if they wanted Madden in AAA, it wasn't anybody on the roster precluding him from being there.

Forgot about SGL! Was at the Hens game the night he tossed that huge number of K's. Fun game.

Flores' recovered velo has no doubt made the org do a 180 on him - understandably!

FWIW, Eric Longenhagen at FG is pretty bullish on Madden, slotting him at #5 in the system. "Madden has a prototypical starter’s scouting package, with a classic, innings-eating frame and a deep repertoire. ... I consider him a high-probability no. 4/5 starter." Either he's right or he's wrong. Time will tell.

It may very well be they don't want to demote someone from the Toledo rotation (to either the BP or Erie) once/if everyone is healthy.

7 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Manning with a nice pickoff move here, unfortunate for Quero though 😬

Manning looks pretty good so far.  Gave up a 440 foot poke to dead center, but he’s struck out 6 through 3.

Perez with a double and triple in his first two plate appearances.  Dingler tossed out a base thief in training.  Darn good weather for a home opener.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

Manning looks pretty good so far.  Gave up a 440 foot poke to dead center, but he’s struck out 6 through 3.

Perez with a double and triple in his first two plate appearances.  Dingler tossed out a base thief in training.  Darn good weather for a home opener.

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

The shakey center field camera is really annoying.

Yeah, much worse at the very beginning of the game.  I’m not sure, but it looks to be slightly different than last season.  Like maybe higher and off the to the other side of CF?  I don’t know, I could be wrong about that.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Won't be surprised if by June the rotation is be Skubal, Mize, Manning, Olson and that it will be one of either Maeda or Flaherty that ends up hurt or ineffective.

Odds are one of the first four mentioned could be on the IL. Yes, one of the other two 'may' be the same and/or ineffective... ALL clubs will be going through this. We should all know this by now. The Q is whether or not we have 'enough depth' to stand our ground - I believe we do, but only if a couple of the group of SGL, Madden, Montero, Jobe, etc. take the next step.

The concept and evolution of SP has changed. No longer are there 2-3 SPs pitching on a staff throwing 200 innings. Heck, even 180 is REALLY pushing it. There needs to be about 10+ pitches who can give 150 innings total, in the upper echelons (MLB, AAA and to a less degree AA), of an organization this day and age.