Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

On 4/3/2024 at 4:43 PM, gehringer_2 said:

I think sometimes when scouts call a player 'advanced' (as Madden was) it's the kiss of death - like it really means they are as far as they are going to get. Dylan Crews was generally also slotted above Langford on the basis of being more "advanced". Wyatt says "Hi" from Texas.

"advanced" can often mean "he's hit his ceiling".

On 4/3/2024 at 2:24 PM, Tenacious D said:

We’re writing off Ty Madden?

I'm not writing him off. I'm suggesting that the spin that there wasn't room for him in Toledo isn't true and that he's in Erie for a reason. Mark added that reason could be related to a desire to move him to relief and not wanting to expose him as a starter in Toledo.

He most likely WILL end up in the bullpen.

But the reasons for putting him in Erie's rotation, FOR NOW, don't change and are the same as what I stated previously (although I could be wrong on these): they're going to work with him as much as possible to develop his pitches, his control, etc... and they will wait until the LAST MOMENT before they send a guy over to the bullpen as a failed starter. And they decided they could best do that in Erie instead of Toledo.

Other guys that they waited until it was a "last resort" before flipping a guy from starter to "failed starter/ middle reliever": Alex Faedo, Beau Brieske and Joey Wentz. I think Wilmer Flores got kicked over to the bullpen, this year, while previously starting 58 of 60 games in his minor league career.

It's not like noone has ever gone through this exact same process before. It's happened 1,000 times before. You keep a guy in the starting rotation as LONG AS POSSIBLE, before flipping him over. The same thing may very well happen with Madden.

And I'm not going to make that a "100% certainty" call because, especially in baseball, things change. Even if it's 99.9% certainty, you never know, maybe he finds a splitter or something else that saves his rotation spot.

I shouldn't do this because I'm just beating my head against the wall, but for those interested in how the situation can actually be read by fans....

The argument was never that the Tigers were demonstrating an interest in moving Madden to the bullpen today. They are not and they should not. The argument was quite clearly that the club's actions speak pretty clearly about how they view Madden as a long-term prospect, and that view is divergent from most of the online fan base you will read. The point of bringing that observation to the fore was simply to help folks here adjust expectations for the player accordingly. If you choose not to, no skin off my back.

Not moving him to the next logical level, as a starter, to face more advanced competition after having extended success at the prior level, is quite telling. There was room to move him there to start the season if they chose to do so. They didn't and as I said in my original post, team's actions align pretty closely with their view of a player, if you're willing to listen.

So, yes, they will continue to get him starter's innings for the foreseeable future, just not at the next logical developmental level, because they apparently didn't prioritize his development as a starter over a minor league vet and some bullpen days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best argument for drafting Clark over Langford is that Riger on 97.1 is carping about picking Clark over Langford.  Riger is the epitome of a contra indicator.

Re Madden...he's repeating a level.  Tough to argue that isn't a negative for him

12 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

The best argument for drafting Clark over Langford is that Riger on 97.1 is carping about picking Clark over Langford.  Riger is the epitome of a contra indicator.

I'm gonna guess that Riger also used to name drop Marcelo Mayer a lot at one time lol

7 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

so your in favor of drafting High school pitchers in the first round?  

I would have drafted Mayer, if all else were equal, but one can acknowledge logic behind what were doing and that there were extenuating factors (ie. slot bonus considerations).

The point is that the Riger types aren't really capable of that level of nuance.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I would have drafted Mayer, if all else were equal, but one can acknowledge logic behind what were doing and that there were extenuating factors (ie. slot bonus considerations).

The point is that the Riger types aren't really capable of that level of nuance.

I agree hes crappy but that arguement isnt that cut and dry

It does make sense that the bloom might be off Madden a bit, but if they were concerned about needing room for SGL in the Toledo rotation, when healthy, that could have factored in.  It does suggest that they hold Hurter in higher esteem, at least as a starter.

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It does make sense that the bloom might be off Madden a bit, but if they were concerned about needing room for SGL in the Toledo rotation, when healthy, that could have factored in.  It does suggest that they hold Hurter in higher esteem, at least as a starter

Which isn't shocking, the Org has been pretty adamant that they believe in dominating the strike zone and that's what Hurter does so he probably does sit higher in their eyes. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-inbox-who-will-go-no-1-in-the-2024-draft?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

More Clark and Langford discussion here but shocking it says the same as lots of people here about lets wait and see; as we all knew Langford would more than likely make it to the majors before Clark but not at the rate he has so far so that is why people are bringing it up so much. I wonder if Nationals and Pirates fans are having these same discussions.

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It does make sense that the bloom might be off Madden a bit, but if they were concerned about needing room for SGL in the Toledo rotation, when healthy, that could have factored in.  It does suggest that they hold Hurter in higher esteem, at least as a starter.

I don't understand the big love for Montero.

Maybe he has some very high end "stuff"... and maybe the Org is trying to get better results from him to match up with his "stuff"... I just don't see the results yet. They seem to hold him in pretty high esteem so... Why (to anybody, not directed specifically at you Tenacious...)?

Just curious.

4 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Re Madden...he's repeating a level.  Tough to argue that isn't a negative for him

if he is still there on June 1st it will mean more than it does out of the gate.

33 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't understand the big love for Montero.

Maybe he has some very high end "stuff"... and maybe the Org is trying to get better results from him to match up with his "stuff"... I just don't see the results yet. They seem to hold him in pretty high esteem so... Why (to anybody, not directed specifically at you Tenacious...)?

Just curious.

I'm guessing he ends up as a reliever just based on build but below is from last week's start. 

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I'm a little surprised that Lockhart got opening day for Erie given the other pitchers on that team. Happy Non-AAA everyone. I'll start up my usual round ups next week during the week 😁.

Weather-driven decision?