Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

I don't really care for that, he needs a responsible adult to tell him to stop doing that.  That needs to come right from Harris, right from the top, right now.  This organization does not employ punks.  Stop.  Now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't really care for that, he needs a responsible adult to tell him to stop doing that.  That needs to come right from Harris, right from the top, right now.  This organization does not employ punks.  Stop.  Now.

I don't really care for it either.  This might be a generational thing that I/we don't get.

35 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't really care for it either.  This might be a generational thing that I/we don't get.

Well to be fair one cleat is negative tweets and the other is positive ones. I don't have a problem with it because honestly I think lots of people hope he fails so they can be "right" that we should have taken Langford and Max is clearly on social media so he sees those criticisms and is just throwing it out there that he knows about it.

You could say well he should just play and keep it to himself but this kid is huge on TikTok and such so it's not surprising he is going to wear something that will generate engagement. 

That being said I will never understand the fans who are calling him a bust after 9 games or tearing him down because he's not Langford and all this. When Langford was Clarks age he was coming off the bench at Florida. Once they drafted Clark I feel like you should root for the kid because you know he didn't make that selection. This is the Jobe/Mayer thing all over again.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Max doesn’t like mean tweets

That does seem to be a thing the last few years, where obviously talented performers such as athletes and musicians play down their skills by publicly positioning themselves as everyone hates them and wants to see them fail and they’re fighting against all odds to succeed, so they try to get people to root for them on that paradoxical basis. It’s such a common thing now it must have some cool name attached to it. Fake Underdog Complex? I don’t know, probably too on the nose. Plus a problematic acronym. But you get the idea.

Toledo W 16-6
Kennedy 2/5 3RBI 2K 2B
Malloy 1/4 BB RBI 
Jung 2/5 3RBI 2K 2B HR
Bigbie 1/5 RBI K 2B
Dingler 3/4 RBI K
Baddoo 2/4 4RBI K 3B HR
Flores 1.1IP 2H ER BB K
Brieske 1IP H K BB

Erie W 5-3
Lee 0/3 BB K
Allen 2/4 3B HR
Petit 2IP H BB K

WM L 5-2
Anderson 1/3 2RBI BB K
Gold 1/3 BB K
Campos 0/4 K
Pacheco 0/4 2K
Graham 0/3 BB SB 2E

Lakeland W 7-5
Clark 0/3 BB
Briceno 3/4 RBI K HR
Campbell 1/4 3RBI 3K HR
Santana 1/3 2RBI HR SF 2E

Sounds like Flores has been moved to reliever full-time and McGonigle is still on the shelf. 

▶ Strong work by Wilmer Flores, now pitching in Toledo’s bullpen as the Tigers have opted to make a former starter a high-octane reliever. Flores’ fastball was running 96-99 in Friday’s scoreless inning against Indy.

▶ Hamstrings can make for stubborn recoveries. Still no firm return date for last year’s second overall Tigers draft pick, shortstop Kevin McGonigle, who continues to take batting practice as he moves somewhat closer to joining Graham’s lineup.

• Like 1

i don't really care what he puts on his shoes, but I guess I don't get why the IG post that doesn't show enough of the context to explain it (or maybe there were more and that's the only one that made twitter?)- or may that's the point - to generate "what does that mean" clicks?

Clark’s shows don’t bother me one bit. He can walk on the grass. Social Media is big for kids that age so enjoy your youth young man. Plus the revenue they can make from a high number of followers is real. Not chump change. Influencers are a career in itself. 

7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Jace Jung is coming faster than we probably gave him credit for.  Another month of middling offense at the big league level and I can see him getting promoted.

With the old regime, I would agree but I can already hear Harris and Hinch complaining about his K rate. 

Interesting article in The Athletic about Diamond Baseball Holdings buying several minor league teams in recent years including the Lugnuts. 

https://theathletic.com/5408834/2024/04/15/minor-league-baseball-team-ownership-diamond-baseball-holdings/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=213687

Reading the comments there were some good thoughts on the plus and minuses of private equity starting to move into that area of the sport. I've got mixed emotions, but if they are able to standardize to a certain extent the quality of the fan experience side of game (minor league) and work with clubs and franchise cities on ballpark improvement and that rather leaving it up to several individual owners it might be a good thing. Especially after watching the ongoing fiasco in Richmond, I'm all for it for now.

13 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Interesting article in The Athletic about Diamond Baseball Holdings buying several minor league teams in recent years including the Lugnuts. 

https://theathletic.com/5408834/2024/04/15/minor-league-baseball-team-ownership-diamond-baseball-holdings/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=213687

Reading the comments there were some good thoughts on the plus and minuses of private equity starting to move into that area of the sport. I've got mixed emotions, but if they are able to standardize to a certain extent the quality of the fan experience side of game (minor league) and work with clubs and franchise cities on ballpark improvement and that rather leaving it up to several individual owners it might be a good thing. Especially after watching the ongoing fiasco in Richmond, I'm all for it for now.

This history of detached private equity is that they drive down costs and flip for quick profits, so I would imagine the fan experience will degrade and unnamed source players will start complaining about declining quality of work environment. Hope I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This history of detached private equity is that they drive down costs and flip for quick profits, so I would imagine the fan experience will degrade and unnamed source players will start complaining about declining quality of work environment. Hope I’m wrong.

One the surface and first glance I tend to agree. But with MiLB now under the MLB roof the push the last few years has been stadium upgrades a mandated by the Commissioner's office. Stadium size, team amenities and so forth. I  also think that the minor league players are now somehow tied into the players association.

A company owning the rights to several teams opens the possibility of negotiating vending prices downward, possibly consolidating some of the front office work (accounting, national or regional advertising sales, etc). Maybe the ability to entice concerts or other draws to several venues rather than just negotiate each venue separately.

Minor league stadiums are usually owned by the community and leased to the team for X number of games so if a community wants to continue to host a team at their venue they need to keep the facilities up to standards. (I'm seeing that now in Richmond,Va where discussions over financing upgrades for the minor league club continues despite missing the deadline (again). 

I get the downside, having spent nearly 50 years either working or closely watching the broadcast industry (radio) to anticipate the pitfalls.

A perfect world would have the parent clubs own all their development teams. That's never going to happen in my or my 12 year old grandson's lifetime

Edited by CMRivdogs

34 minutes ago, holygoat said:

From the little I've seen and heard from Max Clark the person, I suspect I'd be inclined to not like him very much. That said, if he's real good at baseball for the Detroit Tigers, I'll like him enough.

See I think persona and person may be a bit different here. This story shows me that while he has had lots of attention etc and is confident in himself, he doesn't have that "diva" attitude. 

Before driving away, Dykes asked if he could get Clark's autograph.

Clark signed a baseball for him.

"I got his autograph, then we shook hands and parted ways," Dykes said. "He must have called me 'sir' about 20 times, and he never showed any anger or frustration."

Clark, one of the most famous prospects in baseball but still a long ways away from his MLB debut, spent about five minutes in the street fixing his license plate frame, then he continued on his way to Starbucks.

The unexpected interaction between Clark and Dykes that morning in Lakeland provided rare insight into Clark's true personality, beyond his popularity on social media.

"If it's not a big deal, don't make it a big deal," Clark said. "That's kind of like my motto."

Clark handled the situation with grace, even when nobody besides a 71-year-old fan, who didn't know his name, social status or occupation, was watching.

"I don't know if he will make the big leagues, but I know he will never embarrass the Tigers," Dykes said. "A lot of class, that kid. I hope he makes it. I think he's got a good chance as long as the Tigers don't screw him up." 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2024/03/17/detroit-tigers-fans-crash-with-max-clark-says-all-about-top-prospect/72986789007/ 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, holygoat said:

From the little I've seen and heard from Max Clark the person, I suspect I'd be inclined to not like him very much. That said, if he's real good at baseball for the Detroit Tigers, I'll like him enough.

He seems to be a show off, but he's just 19.  I haven't heard anything that makes me think there will be a poblem with attitude or work ethic.  

Last season somebody on XTwitter showed a video of Clark cleaning up the dugout following a game. Picking up trash and stuff, chatting with non player employees. He's 19 signed for a tidy sum of money and basically on his own for what may be the first time in his life. If a pair of cleats defines your opinion of him....... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Last season somebody on XTwitter showed a video of Clark cleaning up the dugout following a game. Picking up trash and stuff, chatting with non player employees. He's 19 signed for a tidy sum of money and basically on his own for what may be the first time in his life. If a pair of cleats defines your opinion of him....... 

Ain't like the kid bilked a bunch of folks out of their retirement, and yet Denny McLain is still revered by some.

• Like 3