Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, microline133 said:

Hitting for power in the FSL as a teenager would be a momentous achievement. 

one report I read along the way said Clark's frame was already nearly maxed out (no pun intended). I assume that kind of assessment entails a fair amount of guesswork given all the genetic variability in the population, but FWIW I suppose if that person was right he would be closer to his power than a kid expected to fill out more?

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

one report I read along the way said Clark's frame was already nearly maxed out (no pun intended). I assume that kind of assessment entails a fair amount of guesswork given all the genetic variability in the population, but FWIW I suppose if that person was right he would be closer to his power than a kid expected to fill out more?

FWIW fangraphs scouting report list his raw power at 40/45 and in game power at 20/45. 

8 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

mostly because the parks tend to be so big?  

Big parks, typical weather conditions, more consistently advanced pitching than most teenagers have ever faced, physical maturity, skill/approach development.....it's all of those things for a teenager in A-ball.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Depends who is saying he's maxed out....some armchair scout looks at some pictures or some video and see his listed characteristics, then I'd say they are full of ****. If it's a real scout with some experience....a guy that's met the family and seen the physical maturity of parents, siblings, close relatives, etc., and been able to see his physical development over time, then if they're saying he's maxed out, I'm more inclined to listen.

From what I know....I wouldn't say maxed out. I would say physical development is not going to be the biggest contributor to his development. He will still make some physical gains with overall maturity, but his ultimate ceiling will be dictated by bat to ball dev, pitch rec, lifting the ball, etc....you're not projecting stardom because he looks like a young Aaron Judge and you think he will be a physical monster and has skill projection. You're projecting stardom for him because he's got good now skills, has skill projection, and the present physicality doesn't need to progress for his skills to develop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, microline133 said:

Big parks, typical weather conditions, more consistently advanced pitching than most teenagers have ever faced, physical maturity, skill/approach development.....it's all of those things for a teenager in A-ball.

Depends who is saying he's maxed out....some armchair scout looks at some pictures or some video and see his listed characteristics, then I'd say they are full of ****. If it's a real scout with some experience....a guy that's met the family and seen the physical maturity of parents, siblings, close relatives, etc., and been able to see his physical development over time, then if they're saying he's maxed out, I'm more inclined to listen.

From what I know....I wouldn't say maxed out. I would say physical development is not going to be the biggest contributor to his development. He will still make some physical gains with overall maturity, but his ultimate ceiling will be dictated by bat to ball dev, pitch rec, lifting the ball, etc....you're not projecting stardom because he looks like a young Aaron Judge and you think he will be a physical monster and has skill projection. You're projecting stardom for him because he's got good now skills, has skill projection, and the present physicality doesn't need to progress for his skills to develop.

I usually worry more the other way - sometimes young men who mature fast streak out ahead of their peers only to plateau or get heavy and/or slow and end up left behind again. I sort of had a feeling the Tigers thought about Paredes that way - that he was going to 'grow' out of the quickness to remain an adequate IF and thus his positional value was low. That hasn't seemed to have happened. I admit that I thought that was a threat to Mike Trout's career early because he was so broad and muscled so young, but that certainly wasn't true either. Trout has run into injury purgatory but getting fat and slow hasn't been an issue!

In any case, Clark seems to be having fun with things which I think is OK - until he starts talking about himself in the 3rd person.......Then we've got trouble.   :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2

Toledo L 7-5
Ibanez 2/3 2B
Malloy 2/4 BB 2K 2B
Bigbie 2/4 2B RBI BB 2K
Dingler 0/3 RBI
Jung 0/4 BB
Hurter 4IP 7H 3ER 3K
Flores 1.2IP 2BB 2K

Erie W 3-2 /10
Lee 1/4 K
Allen 0/4 3K
Jobe 4IP 0H BB 6K
Petit 1.1IP H 2K

WM L 4-1
Anderson 2/4 3B
Gold 1/4 2K
Campos 1/3
Graham 0/3 BB K
Smith 4.2IP 2ER 2BB 5H 5K

Lakeland W 5-4 /12
Gil 1/5 RBI K
Clark 0/5 2K
Briceno 1/5 RBI 2K 2B
Campbell 2/5 RBI 2 2B
Santana 0/3 K 

• Like 1

Toledo L 8-5
Ibanez 0/3
Malloy 2/5 RBI 2K 2B
Jung 2/2 RBI 2B 3BB
Bigbie 1/5 2B
Dingler 3/5 2RBI K 2B
Flores 2.1IP 2H 3BB 2K

Erie Rained Out

WM L 9-4

Anderson 1/5 2B
Gold 1/4 2K
Campos 0/4 RBI K
Pacheco 1/4 K
Graham 0/3 RBI BB

Lakeland W 9-3
Clark 1/3 2BB 2SB
Briceno 3/5 RBI 2B 3B
Gil 1/5 RBI 
Santana 2/4 2RBI K 2B HR

• Like 2

Toledo L 7-6
Malloy 2/3 RBI 2BB K 2B HR
Jung 0/3 RBI BB 2K
Bigbie 1/4 BB 2K
Dingler 2/4 2RBI K HR 2B
Englert 2IP 2ER 2H

Erie L 10-8
Workman 4/5 K 3B HR
Lee 1/5 K
Allen 3/4 3RBI HR SB
Lockhart 3IP 5H 3ER BB 3K
Petit 0.1IP 2H 4ER 2BB K

WM W 9-2
Anderson 1/5 RBI K 2B
Gold 2/4 RBI BB K 2 2B
Campos 2/5 RBI 2K 2B
Pacheco 2/4 2RBI K 3B
Turney 0/4 2K
Hamm 4IP 3H 5K (1.33 ERA on the year, 13.3 K/9)

Lakeland W 7-3
McGonigle 1/3 BB
Clark 0/4 RBI BB 2SB
Briceno 1/4 BB K
Santana 0/1 2BB K
Lee 2/4 4RBI 2B HR