Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

What did Gage Workman fix all of a sudden?

Dropped his switch-hitting and saw Kerry Carpenter's hitting guru in the off-season? I thought I saw someone mention that...

Two questions:

A) Does that mean Workman gets onto the "prospect radar" all of a sudden? He's always struggled with hit tool... but had power and excellent defense... But is he nothing more than Kreidler 2.0? 

B) So I guess 3 questions: Can we replace Detroit's hitting coaches with Kerry Carpenter's hitting guru?

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

What did Gage Workman fix all of a sudden?

Dropped his switch-hitting and saw Kerry Carpenter's hitting guru in the off-season? I thought I saw someone mention that...

Two questions:

A) Does that mean Workman gets onto the "prospect radar" all of a sudden? He's always struggled with hit tool... but had power and excellent defense... But is he nothing more than Kreidler 2.0? 

B) So I guess 3 questions: Can we replace Detroit's hitting coaches with Kerry Carpenter's hitting guru?

All in on B.  Or at the very least, some type of roving instructor within the organization.

Workman is still just 24 and was young for a college player in his draft class.  COVID messed up some development time, like it did others.  I think what will be telling is how quickly they move him up to Toledo—no one blocking him with Leonard and Kreidler on the shelf.

Toledo L 5-3
Jung 2/3 BB 2B
Bigbie 2/3 RBI BB 2 2B
Manning 5IP 2ER 3BB 6K 2H
Flores 2IP 2ER 3K 2H

Erie Rain Out

WM W 8-6

Anderson 0/4 BB K
Turney 1/4 2RBI BB 2K 2B
Gold 1/4 2RBI BB 3K HR (Rare start in LF)
Pacheco 2/5 2RBI 3K 2B
Graham 0/4 RBI BB
Hamm 3.1IP 3H 2BB 7K 

Lakeland W 11-8
Gil 3/3 RBI BB
Clark 0/3 2BB K 
Briceno 3/4 2RBI K 
Campbell 0/5 RBI 2K 
Santana 0/2 2BB K
Hebbert 3.1IP 5ER 2BB 3K

• Like 1

Interesting tidbit about AA balls being different than AAA with regards to Madden's first AAA game.

“A couple of things,” Toledo manager Tim Federowicz said during a Saturday conversation. “They don’t use the big-league ball in Double A. Some guys called up from Double A don’t understand the difference.”

Indeed, the same game that allowed 50 years of designated hitters in one league, but not the other, also uses tighter-wound, big-league baseballs at Triple A, but softer versions at Double A and below.

3 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Interesting tidbit about AA balls being different than AAA with regards to Madden's first AAA game.

“A couple of things,” Toledo manager Tim Federowicz said during a Saturday conversation. “They don’t use the big-league ball in Double A. Some guys called up from Double A don’t understand the difference.”

Indeed, the same game that allowed 50 years of designated hitters in one league, but not the other, also uses tighter-wound, big-league baseballs at Triple A, but softer versions at Double A and below.

They need to use the softer version in MLB.  I believe it would solve some problems in the game.  

• Like 2

I did the hitters but let's take stock of the pitching prospects and see how they are fairing a month or so into the season.

AAA Toledo
Montero 20.1IP 11.07 K/9 1.77 ERA 3.58 FIP
Flores 19.1IP 7.45 K/9 5.12 ERA 5.80 FIP
Madden (AA +AAA combined) 20.2IP 11.3 K/9 5.23 ERA (2.55 ERA in AA)
Hurter 24IP 11.25K/9 5.25 ERA 4.00 FIP

AA Erie
Jobe 16.2IP 12.96 K/9 2.16 ERA 2.21 FIP
Melton 20IP 8.55K/9 3.60 ERA 3.74 FIP

High A WM
Hamm 23.2IP 14.07K/9 1.14 ERA 1.64 FIP
Smith 20.2IP 9.58 K/9 3.92 ERA 4.87 FIP

Low A
N/A

Also FCL started up over the weekend and are the only league that plays on Mondays 

Tigers L 2-1
Rucker 1/2 2B K SB
Jimenez 1/4 K
Wilson (2024 3rd rounder) 4IP 2H 4BB 2K R

Toledo W 7-5
Jung 3/4 RBI HR 
Bigbie 0/4 K
Dingler 1/4 RBI
Madden 4IP 2ER 2BB 4K
Englert 1IP 0H 0K

Erie 7-1
Workman 0/2 2BB 2SB CS
Lee 0/4 BB 3K
Lockhart 4IP 3H 3BB 7K

WM W 5-4 /10
Gold 2/4 BB K
Turney 1/2 2RBI 3BB 2B
Anderson 2/5 2RBI K 2B
Campos 0/4 2K
Pacheco 0/4 K
Smith 5IP 6H ER 6K

Lakeland W 3-1
McGonigle 0/4
Clark 1/4 RBI K 
Briceno 0/4 
Campbell 1/4 K 2B
Gil 0/3 K 

FCL Tigers 8-7
Jimenez 0/6 K
Rucker 2/5 RBI K 2 2B
Perez 1/6 2K SB
Rogers 4IP 2H 4K
Dunford 0.1IP 4ER 4BB

Toledo L 11-6
Meadows 1/4 SB
Jung 1/4 RBI K
Bigbie 3/4 2RBI SB
Montero 1.2IP 4ER 3K 4H BB
Brieske 1IP 2H 4ER 3BB K

Erie W 4-1
Workman 1/3 RBI K 2B
Allen 0/3 K
White 0.2IP 1ER 4BB
Petit 1.1 IP K

WM W 4-0
Gold 0/3 BB 2SB
Turney 1/3 2B SB
Anderson 2/4 2RBI K 2B
Pacheco 2/3 BB 2B
Graham 1/3 
Lee 1/3 HR BB K

Lakeland W 14-7
McGonigle 3/6 K
Clark 1/4 RBI 2BB K 2B
Briceno 2/5 3RBI BB 
Campbell 1/4 RBI BB K
Gil 0/4 RBI 2BB K
Santana 0/4 2BB 2K

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Bigbie got off to such a slow start, made it look like his hot finish last season was just a mirage - but he's started to turn it around a bit. 900 OPS so far in May.

I haven't watched enough of his AB's but I am guessing pitchers were picking up his tendency to go the opposite way and maybe he has made an adjustment. Last year he went opposite field 41% in AA and 43% in AAA. This year he is going opposite field 53% of the time! That being said he is doing better in May with plenty of doubles but only 1 HR on the year.

Toledo W 5-1
Meadows 0/4 2K
Urshela 1/2 BB
Jung 1/2 2BB K 2B
Bigbie 2/4 3RBI 3B
Dingler 0/3 RBI 
Hurter 5IP 5H 1BB 9K 0ER
Flores 2IP H BB 3K

Erie W 3-1
Workman 1/4 RBI BB
Lee 1/3 BB

WM W 6-3
Anderson 1/4 RBI K 
Gold 1/3 4RBI 2 K HR
Campos 0/3 BB
Pacheco 1/4 K
Graham 1/2 RBI BB
Marcano 5IP 2H ER 3BB 5K 

Lakeland W 1-0
Gil 1/5 K
Clark 1/5
Briceno 2/3 K
Campbell 1/4 K
Santana 0/3 RBI BB
Minton 5IP 4H BB K

FCL L 5-1
Perez 0/3 2BB K 
Rucker 1/1 2B (Pulled from game? Possible injury?)
Jimenez 0/2 2BB SB
Bastidas 0/3 BB K
Montilla 2/4 2B SB

If you are wondering who to watch in the FCL based on what I have found via Fangraphs; 
Juan Hernandez 
Hernandez, 17, is a sweet-swinging, lefty-hitting infielder who hit .292 in the DSL. He could wind up with a 50 hit/50 power combo, which he’ll need every bit of to profile at second base.

Franyerber Montilla
Montilla is a projectable switch-hitter who had a much better year in his second DSL season. His swing is explosive but still a little out of control, which I think is okay for a switch-hitter his age. He’s got the biggest ceiling of this group, a potential switch-hitting shortstop with clumsy pop, in the Rodolfo Castro mold.

Carson Rucker

4th Rd pick last year; Rucker is a projectable infielder who was signed away from a Tennessee commitment for $772,500. He has a strong top hand that generates impressive pull power when his swing is on time, though his lever length may not always allow for that in pro ball. His present power and long-term power projection are Rucker’s carrying tools, while his relatively grooved swing creates some hit tool risk that will prove more concerning if Rucker outgrows short. For now, he’s a raw developmental infielder with a shot to have corner-worthy power.

Enrique Jimenez
An international scout cross-checking his own reports on the 2023 international class with players’ 2023 DSL performances told me he thought Jimenez, who signed for $1.25 million, had a strong enough summer to reinforce his bonus amount. The stocky, switch-hitting catcher was tied for the Tigers DSL lead in hard-hit rate (31%), posted a 91% in-zone contact rate, and looks the part from a bat speed and barrel control standpoint, especially as a right-handed hitter. He’s a well-rounded hitter who has a shot to play a premium position with development.

Andrew Dunford
Dunford signed for just under $370,000 to eschew a commitment to Mercer. He has an exciting combination of projection (he has room for another 30-plus pounds of mass) and athleticism (big drop-and-drive and hip/shoulder separation), especially for a pitching prospect this size. He only threw four innings after signing, but Dunford’s fastball averaged 95 mph out of the chute. Dunford and the Tigers have a ton of work to do on his command and breaking ball situation (he had an inconsistent curveball in high school and is basically starting from scratch in pro ball), but he was a fun mid-six figure pull on the third day of the draft and is an important low-level prospect to monitor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3