Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

The kid is 19 my son won't graduate HS until he is 19. Not sure about you guys but I regret a few things I did and said when I was that age (Thank god there was no easy filiming or social media). Crazy how folks are turning on him already.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

On 4/15/2024 at 3:15 PM, LongLiveMaroth said:

With the old regime, I would agree but I can already hear Harris and Hinch complaining about his K rate. 

The only thing Hinch knows about hitting is that he couldn't do it at the Major League level.  I can't wait to see Jung in a Tigers uniform, preferably under a different manager. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, gkelly said:

The only thing Hinch knows about hitting is that he couldn't do it at the Major League level.  I can't wait to see Jung in a Tigers uniform, preferably under a different manager. 

It's been interesting to hear Carlos be so critical of  Tiger hitter approaches - in particular wrt taking pitches.  I have to wonder if the booth is going to get push back from the staff at some point.

Of course Carlos wasn't a great all around hitter either, but he was good at two of the things the Tigers want, which was walks and HRs, so he knows something about accomplishing that.

The situation with the hitters will resolve one way or the other because hitters will eventually tune out advice that isn't working for them, it just needs to happen more quickly than it's happening. That is *if* these guys are actually better than they are showing and that's what is happening.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's been interesting to hear Carlos be so critical of  Tiger hitter approaches - in particular wrt taking pitches.  I have to wonder if the booth is going to get push back from the staff at some point.

Of course Carlos wasn't a great all around hitter either, but he was good at two of the things the Tigers want, which was walks and HRs, so he knows something about accomplishing that.

The situation with the hitters will resolve one way or the other because hitters will eventually tune out advice that isn't working for them, it just needs to happen more quickly than it's happening. That is *if* these guys are actually better than they are showing and that's what is happening.

I hope they don't push back. Carlos is breath of fresh air and brings his MLB approach where they commented on all teams without being employed by one. He has analytical comments rather than sugar coating comments. 

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Pena mentioned again being aggressive early to be walked more.  I think the way he contexted it this time made more sense.  Paraphrasing, but he essentially said its the long game.  I think his inference is that a batter gets the reputation of swinging early, and pitchers are going to dance around the zone a bit more, try to get you to chase balls out of the zone, then it becomes more of a hitter's count, etc, etc.  To me it just sounds like you have to be constantly evolving as a hitter, which is part of the competition.  If pitchers try to get a hitter to chase early, lay off.  If they pound the zone early, be ready to swing.  Maybe I'm not reading his approach to correctly, but that's what I'm getting from it.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

....  If pitchers try to get a hitter to chase early, lay off.  If they pound the zone early, be ready to swing.  Maybe I'm not reading his approach to correctly, but that's what I'm getting from it.

That's what I was hearing too from what he said.

But there's a critical part to that: The hitter actually has to cause some damage with those early swings. If all he does is swing and miss, or produce a crap load of ground ball outs... 

Pitchers will know they can challenge a guy right off because he's not doing anything anyways... So no need to dance around the corners.

Not a great night on the farm with only 5 runs between 4 clubs.

Toledo L 2-0
Malloy 1/3 BB K
Jung 0/3 BB K
Bigbie 1/4 K
Dingler 0/4 3K
Sweet 2.2IP 2ER 3BB

Erie L 6-0
Lee 0/4 K
Allen 1/2 BB K 3B
Melton 3IP 4ER 3BB 2K

WM W 4-3
Anderson 0/5 3K
Gold 0/4 BB 2K
Campos 1/2 2RBI 2BB K 2B 2SB CS
Pacheco 0/4 4K
Graham 0/3 K
Kohlhepp 1IP K

Lakeland L 4-1
Gil 1/4 3B K
Clark 1/3 RBI 2K SF
Briceno 0/4 2K
Campbell 1/4

Posted (edited)

Another aspect Carlos hit is that pitchers know the paradigm is to try and run pitch counts to chase pitchers, so since they  know hitters have a predisposition to take the first pitch, they take more chances throwing hittable strikes- ergo pitch one is now often the best pitch of an AB. Hitters can’t just let pitchers have that free ride, they have to make them work finer on pitch one, which means they will miss more and the hitter can get ahead more.  The bottom line is you can’t be so committed to any approach that you become predictable, even if the approach has a sound basis because to be predictable is to be dead. 

this all reminds me a game early in JVs career when he was really cruising through his starts, always ahead in the count, and then in Baltimore one day they swung at every 1st pitch strike and beat him up pretty good because he had gotten habituated to guys taking 1st pitches and stopped throwing them with enough conviction

Edited by gehringer_2

11 hours ago, gkelly said:

Leyland?

Toledo Suspended 2in down 1-0

Erie W 4-0

Lee 1/4 BB K 2B
Allen 0/4 2K
Workman 2/4 2RBI 
Lockhart 5IP 2H 6K
Petit 2IP 3K

WM W 7-5
Anderson 2/5
Turney 4/5 2RBI 2 2B HR
Campos 0/4 K
Pacheco 1/4 RBI K 2B
Serretti 1/4 RBI K BB 2B

Lakeland W 7-6
Clark 3/5 4RBI K
Briceno 0/5 K
Santana 0/4 BB K
Hebbert 2IP H K 

Edited by LongLiveMaroth
  • Like 1

The pitchers I'm very interested in following (reverse order)

Jatnk Diaz - starter?

Tyler Mattison - reliever

Paul Wilson - starter

Wilmer Flores - will end up in the bullpen

Ty Madden - struggles against lefties, most likely bullpen

Troy Melton - starter with high-octane FB and developing secondaries

Jackson Jobe - starter.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Box score wise atleast Jaden Hamm had a another solid start for WM throwing 4 shutout innings with 6Ks and no BBs. Is he somebody to keep an eye on? Drafted in 2023 and only 21 years old. 

Looking around Twitter it seems there were lots of people who saw him on the backfields in Lakeland and were very high on him after. Maybe another breakout candidate like Troy Melton?

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

Toledo Game 1 L 6-5
Malloy 0/4
Jung 1/4
Bigbie 3/4 HR 2RBI CS
Kennedy 1/3 BB K 
Manning 5IP 4H 2ER BB 7K
Brieske 1IP 1K

Toledo Game 2 W 7-3
Malloy 0/3 BB K
Jung 0/3 BB K
Kennedy 2/4 K 2B
Hiura 2/4 4RBI HR
Dingler 0/2 K RBI
Flores 1IP ER H BB

Erie W 9-3
Lee 2/4 2B RBI K
Workman 1/4 K
Madden 4.2IP 4H 2ER BB 5K 

WM 12-0
Anderson 0/4 BB 2K
Turney 4/5 RBI K 2B
Campos 1/4 BB 3K 
Gold 3/4 3RBI BB HR
Graham 1/3 3RBI 2BB 2B
Hamm 4IP 3H 6K

Lakeland L 9-2
Gil 0/4 K
Clark 2/4
Campbell 1/3

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

You will be waiting a while to see how Mattison develops. He just got the Tommy John.

Crap.

I keep forgetting that.

I just did the same thing a couple weeks ago when talking about keeping an eye on the Erie guys...

Old Age. Crappy memory.