Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

They pulled Manning after 5 innings and 71 pitches. I don't know if he threw a few more in the bullpen to stretch out. Maybe this is how they will keep guys ready for the second half. I'm sure Hinch and Fetter have a plan for each guy this year.

15 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

I wonder how they will handle the starters workloads at AAA. They will need some innings in Detroit from these guys at some point.

Yes, that's a good question.  My worthless guess is they might skip starts in the AAA rotation to save innings as one measure of "saving" innings for eventual call ups.  They've already got all but 2 Mondays off this season, so there's one day off per week there.  Maybe they go with a combination of RP every once in a while to skip or push back starts throughout the season.

They might also push back starts for rainouts.  Postponements that are made up are done so as 7 inning doubleheaders.  So, when the opportunity allows, they might go with the SP in the first game and just bring in RP for the rest of the day.  Maybe they start the second game of the doubleheader with a multiple inning RP or even piggyback a game with 2 multiple innings RPs.  Something along the lines of two pitchers going 6 IP and 1 IP in game one and three pitchers going 3, 3, and 1 in the second.  That's an overly simplistic example, and the opportunity might not present itself all that often.  However, the pre Memorial Day weather does present itself to be more likely for Mother Nature to assist with this.  So perhaps they can bank a few innings early on in the season.

I think the key to maximizing the availability of SP depth is going to be in saving some of those innings in AAA for later use in MLB.  Its good to have the depth on a piece of paper.  But gating that availability through the health issues and slumps that the Tigers (or any team) are likely to encounter throughout the season are going to have to be plotted out with guesstimation to some degree.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes, that's a good question.  My worthless guess is they might skip starts in the AAA rotation to save innings as one measure of "saving" innings for eventual call ups.  They've already got all but 2 Mondays off this season, so there's one day off per week there.  Maybe they go with a combination of RP every once in a while to skip or push back starts throughout the season.

They might also push back starts for rainouts.  Postponements that are made up are done so as 7 inning doubleheaders.  So, when the opportunity allows, they might go with the SP in the first game and just bring in RP for the rest of the day.  Maybe they start the second game of the doubleheader with a multiple inning RP or even piggyback a game with 2 multiple innings RPs.  Something along the lines of two pitchers going 6 IP and 1 IP in game one and three pitchers going 3, 3, and 1 in the second.  That's an overly simplistic example, and the opportunity might not present itself all that often.  However, the pre Memorial Day weather does present itself to be more likely for Mother Nature to assist with this.  So perhaps they can bank a few innings early on in the season.

I think the key to maximizing the availability of SP depth is going to be in saving some of those innings in AAA for later use in MLB.  Its good to have the depth on a piece of paper.  But gating that availability through the health issues and slumps that the Tigers (or any team) are likely to encounter throughout the season are going to have to be plotted out with guesstimation to some degree.

I forgot about the bullpen days, another way Hinch used last year to eat some innings. They will probably need everyone on the roster plus a few more like they did last year but I like the talent and the depth they have right now.

Montero gets the start today for Toledo.

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I forgot about the bullpen days, another way Hinch used last year to eat some innings. They will probably need everyone on the roster plus a few more like they did last year but I like the talent and the depth they have right now.

Montero gets the start today for Toledo.

I don't know if the Tigers would need to go with bullpen days as much as the organization would have Toledo employ that.  It will happen at some point, caused by illness or maybe short term filling a spot start or inability to get a SP up from Toledo in time.  But the Tigers should be set up well enough to not have to deal with it much at the MLB level.

So today might be a good example of saving innings in Toledo.  Overnight rain, should taper off throughout the day, but we'll see what happens.  Should it be rained out, tomorrow becomes a 14 inning day rather than 18 innings between the two days.  Day off on Monday.  Do they push tomorrow's SP to Tuesday?  Maybe just a light bullpen session but keep the timing of the rotation intact to the Julian day rather than pushing that SP to the 3rd game of the season?

This is probably just a marginal effect in the grand scheme, but when teams look for advantages within the margins, does this cumulatively help conserve innings for usage later in the season?  

Erie plays a series in Richmond the last week of May. I don’t think it’s out of the question that Jobe will still be at AA then.  Hoping to see him pitch there. Over the years Tiger affiliates have vacated anywhere near us geographically. The closest affiliate from us is now is about a 10 hour drive to Erie with a couple of rest breaks. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Erie plays a series in Richmond the last week of May. I don’t think it’s out of the question that Jobe will still be at AA then.  Hoping to see him pitch there. Over the years Tiger affiliates have vacated anywhere near us geographically. The closest affiliate from us is now is about a 10 hour drive to Erie with a couple of rest breaks. 

Expand the trip. Spend a couple of days in Williamsburg. Patrick Henry was known to throw a wicked curve ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Here's hoping you get to see Jobe in late May, and he arrives here in Toledo shortly after 😁. Looking forward to multiple trips to 5/3 Field in downtown Toledo to watch him this summer.

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Expand the trip. Spend a couple of days in Williamsburg. Patrick Henry was known to throw a wicked curve ball

I could have spent more time in Colonial Williamsburg, but kids.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

No real position prospects at Erie, besides Lee and maybe Allen.  Rotation looks pretty good, though.

Well, let’s see what the development staff can do about the position players.

34 minutes ago, casimir said:

I could have spent more time in Colonial Williamsburg, but kids.

Maybe when they get a bit older. The region is very family friendly. 

One of the plans on the drawing board (not CW related) is an indoor sports complex in an effort to draw travel teams. 

1 hour ago, bsc3165 said:

Here's hoping you get to see Jobe in late May, and he arrives here in Toledo shortly after 😁. Looking forward to multiple trips to 5/3 Field in downtown Toledo to watch him this summer.

Toledo does travel to Charlotte for a mid month series in August this year. I’ll definitely have that one on the radar. This is a bit of a rarity since MLB took over the minors. Toledo used to make one or two trips to Durham every year. 

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Agreed, outside of the Erie rotation the majority of our intriguing prospects are split between Toledo and Lakeland. 

Took a quick look and thought "Wow! That's pretty crappy for Jobe in Erie..."

Still think that, but another thought also crossed my mind: It will be VERY easy for anyone showing that they've mastered High-A and is ready for a jump to AA... to make that jump. The Org can send just about anyone down from Erie in a swap and not bat an eyelash. I'm thinking the West Michigan-to-Erie train (and vice verse) may be just as, if not more, busy than the drive between Detroit and Toledo.

Just a thought.

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1

One more thought on Erie:

I'm interested in seeing how: Jobe, Madden, Melton & Mattison pitch this year.

Jackson Jobe and the 3M's.

Has a nice ring to it.

But...

I see nothing much else of interest there, prospect-wise. 

Maybe Trei Cruz, or Gage Workman, or Danny Cabrera locate their missing bats? Maybe Lockhart is interesting, a little? 

Or maybe they turn him into a Lefty Reliever? That might be at least a little interesting...

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Took a quick look and thought "Wow! That's pretty crappy for Jobe in Erie..."

Still think that, but another thought also crossed my mind: It will be VERY easy for anyone showing that they've mastered High-A and is ready for a jump to AA... to make that jump. The Org can send just about anyone down from Erie in a swap and not bat an eyelash. I'm thinking the Erie-to-Toledo train may be just as, if not more, busy than the drive between Detroit and Toledo.

Just a thought.

For a change, it’s a good situation that the organization doesn’t have to feel like they need to rush a top prospect, particularly a pitcher. If he succeeds at Erie and Toledo this year and gets a late call up to the bigs it will be a very successful year for him and the Tigers. Realistically, and this is somewhat hard to believe, Jobe is probably in the starting rotation on opening day next year. Staying healthy is paramount in his case. 

• Like 2

4th best prospect at Erie after Jobe-Madden-Melton? might be Lee or Lockheart or Wolf, or Workman if you believe in miracle turnarounds. Yikes, that's bad. 

Best prospects at WMI? If not Anderson, its Smith and Graham who have shown little/been injured. Yikes, that's worse.

Santana's 3rd year at Lakeland? Not good

And no idea who these catchers are: Stephen Scott (Erie) and Jose Sibrian (WMI).

1984 is right - if you perform, no one is blocking you at the next level.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

4th best prospect at Erie after Jobe-Madden-Melton? might be Lee or ...

Even though Lee is the Tigers 14th ranked prospect...

I don't see a huge pathway for him to make the Majors with Detroit... I just don't see it.

I think I would look at Erie, at the moment/ with this roster, as the 4th best prospect being a reliever who could sneak onto the Detroit roster at some point in the future. There's a pair of reliever types who K a lot of guys even though they toss mostly mid-90's and can reach upper 90's... With some deception and secondary pitches... One Righty: Tyler Mattison, One Lefty: Lael Lockhart. With learning curves, obviously...

But I'd be more interested in watching these two guys as dark horse candidates over wondering if Cruz-Workman-Cabrera can ever find their bats or Lee actually develops into something (that he's not...).

For me: It's Jobe-Madden-Melton... and then keep an eye on Mattison and Lockhart to see what they can do.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by 1984Echoes