3/19 @ 1:05 Tigers @ Pirates

Tigeraholic1

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Everyone was throwing hard today - might have been a bit of a hot gun, but even by comparison, he was throwing as hard or harder than Mize.

It was the first time I've had a look at him in game action (didn't have the MiLB package last year)... his slider is better than I realized

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I just started watching the game (from the beginning).    I am very jealous of that weather.   It sucks in the D today.  What a dreary day.

As of his first AB today Riley Greene has an OPS of 3.500.   He should just retire now.  He'll never top that.  

No place to go but down from here.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Kriedler at 3rd base, gets a bit turned around and can't make a tough play on a foul pop over his head, batter puts the next pitch in the seats.

Playing out of position is always fun. It's hard enough being good at one position but forcing a player to play multiple positions doesn't always work out. But it's fine, that's what spring training games are for.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

How did Mize look? Did he throw any splitters? One of the fluff pieces I read said that he rediscovered it in the offseason and it was back to potentially being the dominant pitch it was known to be when he was coming up. 

Cartoon was calling 83 knuckle-curve and 86 split. Based on that he threw two in the 1st inning and none in the second. But it also called some of his FB sinkers and he said last week he was not going to throw that anymore so ....

His 4 seam FB did seem sort of flat early  - that's always been a weakness for Mize (IMHO) but he got 2 whiffs and a foul tip K on the 4 seamer in the 2nd so it seemed to be getting livelier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Playing out of position is always fun. It's hard enough being good at one position but forcing a player to play multiple positions doesn't always work out. But it's fine, that's what spring training games are for.

I think if you play or want to play for an A.J. Hinch team, you probably need to do it.    Think about the Tigers team.  The only ones that really don't play multiple positions are Barnhardt and Miggy.  All our Outfielders are capable multi-position players and even though they only use Candelario at 3rd base, we know he's a respectable 1st baseman too.   

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Cartoon was calling 83 knuckle-curve and 86 split. Based on that he threw two in the 1st inning and none in the second. But it also called some of his FB sinkers and he said last week he was not going to throw that anymore so ....

His 4 seam FB did seem sort of flat early  - that's always been a weakness for Mize (IMHO) but he got 2 whiffs and a foul tip K on the 4 seamer in the 2nd so it seemed to be getting livelier.

Who is this Cartoon fellow?