2022 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

4 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I heard this as well, but not sure how much stock I put in it at this point in the year or that they'd allow someone to just announce their real big board.

However, if it is true, I hope we get a pick in the 5-7 range if we don't get #1 overall.

If that were the case, I would hope the Pistons land at 2 and can trade down to 5-7, acquiring other goodies along the way.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I read from multiple sites that Chet would be the Pistons pick, they theorized that Stewart could be the banger down low while Chet could guard all the perimeter 4s that are in the league now, this way his lack of bulk may not be as big of issue. 

I would not like that at all 

Chet has one elite skill and that is shot blocking.  Moving him to the perimeter would negate that skill. Plus I'm not quite sure his three-point shooting will hold up enough to be a perimeter player. Also not sure he can guard guys in the perimeter like Mobley can.

Edited by Deleterious
  • Thanks 1

Orlando wins again to pass us so we're now in the 2nd spot. Of course all the bottom 3 have the same odds to get number 1 but the benefit of being worse is that in the worst case scenario where you drop 4 spots in the lottery the worse you are the better your pick will end up being. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, Betrayer said:

I heard this as well, but not sure how much stock I put in it at this point in the year or that they'd allow someone to just announce their real big board.

However, if it is true, I hope we get a pick in the 5-7 range if we don't get #1 overall.

I meant to say 5-7 if we don't get #2 overall. As you all know, I'm not high on Chet.

Draft talk from Chad after the first weekend of play. Skip the first 8 minutes of garbage. They talk about Chet vs Duren and what that does to their stock, Banchero's first round play, and Ivey making the case for the top pick. Solid listen, regardless of what you think about Chad.

I can't listen to Chad Ford. Amazes me he still has a job after what he did. But it will be a disaster if someone takes Ivey #1. 

I did get a laugh from KOC saying Orlando should take Ivey. Nevermind Suggs, Fultz, and Anthony I guess. I guess him and Suggs could battle it out. First one to shoot 30% from three can start.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I can't listen to Chad Ford. Amazes me he still has a job after what he did. But it will be a disaster if someone takes Ivey #1. 

I did get a laugh from KOC saying Orlando should take Ivey. Nevermind Suggs, Fultz, and Anthony I guess. I guess him and Suggs could battle it out. First one to shoot 30% from three can start.

I wouldn't take him at #1 because if you get #1 and you want Ivey, then you should trade down and get more assets.

However, I'm pretty high on him and this draft feels like a lot of lot low ceiling guys when we need to swing for upside to get another star next to Cade. Maybe it's just Ivey's archetype that's enticing me, and Mathurin or Sharpe are more likely to fit the role in the long run. Who knows.

Either way, we need an aggressive and athletic playmaker next to Cade who can slash to the basket, handle in transition, defend the perimeter so Cade doesn't have to, and hit enough threes to be a threat (~36% is fine). A Jalen Brown or Donovan Mitchell type to compliment Cade's version of Jason Tatum meets Chris Paul, if you will.

Maybe that guy is Ivey, but it could be Mathurin or even Sharpe. Regardless, I think you've got to swing for one of that type of player with our pick or with Portland's (if we get it for Grant).

I like athleticism but feel people overvalue it a bit. Giannis is athletic but the Bucks weren't, neither was Toronto or Golden State.  

Ivey gives me huge Stanley Johnson vibes. SJ shot 40% from three in college, which is good. But Drafted press did that article about him breaking his stats down. He feasted on bad competition and struggled with good teams. Ivey shooting less than 30% from three against big ten teams gives me that vibe. 

I thought I saw a ghost when I saw the Kool Aid Man avatar pop up in this thread. Welcome back Del.

These are my takes on the top prospects...

Holmgren - I'm not as down on him as a lot of you guys are. He comes with risk but he's a game changer on the defensive end due to his immense length and high level instincts. He doesn't defend on the perimeter as much as Mobley but I've seen him do it effectively when called upon and I see him having a fairly similar impact defensively in the NBA. Maybe not as impactful as Mobley has been in his rookie year but eventually I see him being an All NBA defense caliber player. He also hits the 3 at a pretty good clip so he'll be a problem for defenses as a stretch big offensively. The frame is an issue and he doesn't have much versatility offensively at this point in his career although he handles the ball pretty well in transition. I'd have no problem taking him in the top 3 because I feel that defense will translate and he'd fix that rim protection problem that the Pistons currently have

Smith - I really like him but I'm not sure if he's going to be more than a 3 and D guy and he doesn't have the impact defensively that Holmgren does although he's no slouch defensively. No doubt that he'd be money on a pick and roll with Cade and I love his competitiveness but he leaves me wanting more on the offensive end. He's really young so I think there's a lot of growth left in his game so, similar to Chet, there's a lot of projection with him.

Banchero - He's the most offensively polished of the three bigs so while I think he'll bring more offensive versatility in his early years, I'm not sure that there's much growth left in his game. What I've seen improvements with him is his passing off the dribble and his 1 on 1 defense. His handle can be shaky at times and he often times looks lost on help defense partially because he has slow feet so that could be a problem at the next level because I think the opposition will feast on him defensively but I can't see him not being a high level scorer at the next level. The thing is, is an ISO scorer really the best fit for the Pistons? As we've seen with Grant at times, it can get ugly.

Mathurin - I thought I was the only Mathurin fan here. Most have Ivey over him and I see a lot of scouting services having him somewhere between 8-10 which perplexes me. He's an excellent athlete, he's probably the best long range shooter of the guards and he's an underrated playmaker. Plus, he loves the big moment. I don't know, he just has some of that "it" factor. There's no way he's 6'7 though. He's more like 6'4 or 6'5 at the most. If Mathurin was really 6'7, he'd be higher up in the draft pecking order.

Ivey - The most explosive athlete of this draft. Hell, he be one of the most explosive athletes in the NBA right now. My issue with him is that he's pretty one dimensional offensively. He's a straight line driver and an excellent one at that but he has very little mid range game, is inconsistent in the long range and can get out of control at times. I'm not sure if he's going to be much more than a high level slasher in the NBA, kind of like a poor mans' Westbrook. If he can hit the three with more consistency, that would take him to another level, but he hasn't found that consistency yet.

Sharpe is the big wild card. The tape looks impressive but it's high school. You're banking entirely on projection with him. I will say that he looks like a great fit with the Pistons based on the game tape. 

I like Murray but I'm not sure how much upside he actually has with him being older than all the other prospects but he has a lot of offensive skill, probably the most versatile scorer in this draft. Griffin, meh, I don't see much with him. 3 and ok D guy. Duren? Not really interested in a rim runner with a top 7 pick. I guess that's it of the guys slated to be on the Pistons radar. I like the 3 bigs, Mathurin and then Murray/Ivey/Sharpe. I don't think there's much of a spread between the top tier (the 3 Bigs) and the 2nd tier so even if the Pistons drop to 6 or 7, I'm fine with that. It's not like last year where there was the ultimate prize of Cade and Mobley, Green in a clear 2nd tier above the others.

Edited by NYLion

Now that it appears that the Pistons have a franchise guy in Cade, does that mean that they should play it safe in the draft and insure they get a guy that can help Cade and take a guy that may not have as high of ceiling but has a high floor and a relatively good chance of hitting his ceiling or do you go the other route and swing for the fences and go with a high ceiling high volatility guy with the mindset that if you whiff it's not that damaging since you have already have a young superstar anyway?

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Now that it appears that the Pistons have a franchise guy in Cade, does that mean that they should play it safe in the draft and insure they get a guy that can help Cade and take a guy that may not have as high of ceiling but has a high floor and a relatively good chance of hitting his ceiling or do you go the other route and swing for the fences and go with a high ceiling high volatility guy with the mindset that if you whiff it's not that damaging since you have already have a young superstar anyway?

No. You take BPA

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I like athleticism but feel people overvalue it a bit. Giannis is athletic but the Bucks weren't, neither was Toronto or Golden State.  

Ivey gives me huge Stanley Johnson vibes. SJ shot 40% from three in college, which is good. But Drafted press did that article about him breaking his stats down. He feasted on bad competition and struggled with good teams. Ivey shooting less than 30% from three against big ten teams gives me that vibe. 

ivey is quick and can jump.  he is nothing like stanley johnson.

You definitely go for the best player. Even if Cade becomes as good as Luka or Tatum, one star isn't getting you anywhere but the 7-10 seed and mediocrity. You basically need 2 superstars or 3 all-stars and a bunch of other good role players (shooters and defenders) around them.

That's why I want to swing for an athlete with the potential to become a Jalen Brown or Donovan Mitchell type of player. You have to have a secondary all-star caliber creator who can get buckets, pressure the defense, and make it easier for role players on drive and kicks. Not to mention that this team is woefully unathletic with Cade, Bey, and Stew, so we need to address that. Adding someone like Banchero to that mix scares me.

Hopefully we get a high pick and then move Grant for Portland's extra pick to make this whole thing a lot easier. Grant's solid, but I don't like him for 120M at this stage of the rebuild.

That was a really nice game from Banchero against a really good defense.  His footwork is absolutely gorgeous and his passing is pretty elite for a big.  But he cant shoot the three and is a bad defender.

He might be my Jalen Green for this year.  Someone I don't really want but wont mind if they end up with him.