2022 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

22 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Prediction.  Once the draft is over and everyone comes out with their 2023 mocks, Emoni Bates will not be mocked in the first round.

memphis was struggling this yeat...and then bates left the team and they immediately went 10-0.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

memphis was struggling this yeat...and then bates left the team and they immediately went 10-0.

Different Memphis and much better player, but yesterday I heard that the Grizzlies are something like 16-2 despite Ja Morant missing the game.  How is that possible?

I can't snip and post the full screen here, but taking a look at his bbref page, the 16-2 is real.  Looking at the opponent, though, it looks like the run was at the right time.

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I don't think the tournament did much to move my needle on Chet either way.

Chet has skills that haven’t been seen before from a 7 foot with a slight frame.    He can do things that make you stop and rewind to figure out if what you just watched was real for someone that size. Still, I am not sure how any of his game translates into the NBA.  For as much skill as he has, the only thing that really projects is the same as all the other tall, lanky sticks that have come before him,  shot blocker that can help on defense.   

He’s got to put on weight but he’s heard that since he was 14 and it hasn’t happened.  Hard to trust that it ever will.

I see him as a guy that can find a role and play a long time in the league but I’m not sure he’s star material.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Different Memphis and much better player, but yesterday I heard that the Grizzlies are something like 16-2 despite Ja Morant missing the game.  How is that possible?

I can't snip and post the full screen here, but taking a look at his bbref page, the 16-2 is real.  Looking at the opponent, though, it looks like the run was at the right time.

bates has been used by his dad to further his dad's interests.  its a shame.  he may never live up to that potential because of it.

that said, he's very young and is obbiously talented.  he's got time to make some changes and grow up a bit.

• Like 1

I look at Chet and see a guy who has struggled against every NBA level big man he has faced.  Just look at his game against Duren in the tournament.  Duren is supposed to be in high school this year and Chet couldn't do a thing against him on offense.  

Shit, Victor Wembanyama is a 7 footer with a slight frame and he does anything Chet can do.  Victor is two years younger and absolutely dominated Chet in the FIBA U19 title game last summer.  

I hope he is off the board when Detroit picks so they are not even tempted.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I look at Chet and see a guy who has struggled against every NBA level big man he has faced.  Just look at his game against Duren in the tournament.  Duren is supposed to be in high school this year and Chet couldn't do a thing against him on offense.  

Shit, Victor Wembanyama is a 7 footer with a slight frame and he does anything Chet can do.  Victor is two years younger and absolutely dominated Chet in the FIBA U19 title game last summer.  

I hope he is off the board when Detroit picks so they are not even tempted.

Very true on Victor.   He’s actually filing out a little and there’s muscle definition starting in his arms and legs that wasn’t there a year ago.    Not the case with Chet who still looks like a shorter Manute Bol.  

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't remember if there were any elite bigs in it, I imagine there were but I thought I remember reading about him dominating that big global tournament over the summer of kids under 20?(I believe that was the age group)

He won the MVP award last summer in the FIBA U19 tournament.  He averaged 12 points 6 rebounds and 3 assists.  They gave him his trophy about 5 minutes after Wembanyama put 22 and 8 on him with 8 blocked shots while Chet scored 10  had 2 rebounds 5 assists and no blocked shots.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Yeah, he looks pretty thin.  He is listed at 230 pounds which is 35 more than Chet, if you believe listed weights.  He is 2 inches taller.  Also 2 years younger so you hope he puts on weight by next year.

plus he's french so i'm sure you dont want him.

8 hours ago, Hart said:

In two months, I bet Jabari Smith will be a clear cut #1 and Chet will be a fairly strong bet at #2.  Not all that different than last year except you had two guys that could have gone second last year. 

As long as we are not in the #2 spot I absolutely hope Chet goes #2.