2022 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

On 4/15/2022 at 11:47 AM, Deleterious said:

This is an interesting article.  I do agree that Bridges is not a great fit with Grant and possibly even without Grant if we are in position to take a guy Holmgren, Murray, Smith, or Banchero.  I also definitely agree with Casey that Bey is a better fit at either forward position than shooting guard.  

I am not a huge fan of signing Brunson.  He is a quality player but fit is everything to the Pistons right now.  The goal is not to just pickup quality players to be a playoff team.  It's to build around a Cade, and to a lesser extent Bey and Stewart, to be a championship team.  Brunson is best with the ball in his hands and does not have great size or athleticism for defense.  I kind of want somebody next to Cade who can be elite on defense while also play well off the ball.  So while I am not really a huge fan of Ivey as a prospect, he does kind of fit the bill for what I want next to Cade.  

Edited by Hart
  • Like 1

Now the NBA will have to rule on his eligibility.  Pretty sure he was playing for high school games for Dream City in the fall.  You need to be out of high school a year before being eligible for the draft.

He is interesting.  Youtube has almost no film on him considering he was the #1 recruit in his class.  It sounds like he was not always a big time recruit.  Basically exploded on the scene in the past 1 1/2 years.  Most of his hype comes from a season in the NIKE EYBL.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Now the NBA will have to rule on his eligibility.  Pretty sure he was playing for high school games for Dream City in the fall.  You need to be out of high school a year before being eligible for the draft.

He is interesting.  Youtube has almost no film on him considering he was the #1 recruit in his class.  It sounds like he was not always a big time recruit.  Basically exploded on the scene in the past 1 1/2 years.  Most of his hype comes from a season in the NIKE EYBL.

He was already ruled eligible a couple of months ago I believe. That's when all this hoopla started about whether he will declare or not.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

He was already ruled eligible a couple of months ago I believe. That's when all this hoopla started about whether he will declare or not.

He has not been ruled eligible.  There was a quote from an anonymous league source he would be ruled eligible, but nothing official.  The NBA wasn't going to rule on a player who did not apply for the draft.  Now they will.  And he is smart not hiring an agent so he can go back to school if found ineligible.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

He has not been ruled eligible.  There was a quote from an anonymous league source he would be ruled eligible, but nothing official.  The NBA wasn't going to rule on a player who did not apply for the draft.  Now they will.  And he is smart not hiring an agent so he can go back to school if found ineligible.  

Why would he declare if he's not yet eligible? It seems like something that is a formality at this point.

I'm not saying he will be ruled ineligible.  I'm just saying what the rules are.  You need to be one year removed from high school.  And Sharpe played for Dream City in the fall before going to Kentucky. 

But when millions of dollars are at risk just about anything can be manipulated.  

The articles I read on that back in January stated that he met the one year requirement. 

I don't know, it would be pretty crazy for them to give him the go ahead to declare only to rip it right from him. I'm pretty sure his "team" did their due diligence so I can't imagine that they'd go ahead with this if there was any doubt concerning his eligibility.

Edited by NYLion

If we get a second 1st round pick as part of a Gran trade...I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Duren.  Limited offensive potential away form the basket...but seems to have the size and radius to be an excellent rim protector/clean up guy.

Assuming we land Shaedon Sharpe with that 1st pick

6 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

If we get a second 1st round pick as part of a Gran trade...I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Duren.  Limited offensive potential away form the basket...but seems to have the size and radius to be an excellent rim protector/clean up guy.

Assuming we land Shaedon Sharpe with that 1st pick

Duren has the agility/speed to play some perimeter defense as well.

Someone to watch is Christian Koloko from Arizona.  Great shot blocker and moves very well on the perimeter for a legit 7 footer.  Pretty much limited to being a rim runner on offense though.  I think he will end up rising into the top 20 by draft night.

27 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Duren has the agility/speed to play some perimeter defense as well.

Someone to watch is Christian Koloko from Arizona.  Great shot blocker and moves very well on the perimeter for a legit 7 footer.  Pretty much limited to being a rim runner on offense though.  I think he will end up rising into the top 20 by draft night.

Koloko is a nice player that was unfortunately born about 15 years too late to have much draft value.    

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Koloko is a nice player that was unfortunately born about 15 years too late to have much draft value.    

Every team, and every PG, in the league wants an athletic rim running lob catcher.  Especially one with good hands like Koloko.  Toss in that he offers great rim protection and a little ability to guard the perimeter and he has a lot of value, especially if you draft him in the 20's.  

Guys like Koloko will always have a spot in the NBA.  This isn't some dinosaur like Greg Monroe who cant move his feet.  That is the guy who was born 15 years late.

Do the majority of lottery picks end up as good as Jerami Grant is right now?  I kind of doubt it, especially when you get outside of the top 5.  But I am probably biased because of the Pistons futility.  

Obviously, money and years of control on a rookie deal are factors to consider as well but Portland seems enamored with Grant to the point they may overlook these things.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Every team, and every PG, in the league wants an athletic rim running lob catcher.  Especially one with good hands like Koloko.  Toss in that he offers great rim protection and a little ability to guard the perimeter and he has a lot of value, especially if you draft him in the 20's.  

Guys like Koloko will always have a spot in the NBA.  This isn't some dinosaur like Greg Monroe who cant move his feet.  That is the guy who was born 15 years late.

the other thing that has shifted a bit is that typically guys like that also had high rebounding value. They still have some, but the higher the proportion of long shots put up, the lower the payoff to old school positional rebounding technique.

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I can't see them giving up a lottery pick either. Dame is 32 years old. Do you really want to mortgage your future and build around him? They should move him and rebuild.

I don't know how reliable Jack Fischer is but, this is what he said recently...

Grant seemed to be at the top of their list. He and Lillard have a relationship dating back to their days with Team USA, and they share an interest in playing together once again, sources said. In years prior, Lillard has indicated to Portland leadership several two-way, rangy wings such as Grant, Ben Simmons, Aaron Gordon and Jaylen Brown as the type of playing partner he preferred, sources said.

Grant has been linked to them heavily for months now and the rumors around the deadline were that they were designing this offseason around building a contender to keep Lillard happy so while they might not want to give up the pick for Grant, they might have to or risk frustrating Lillard even further. Personally, I think they're stupid for taking this route and they should blow it up but, hey, if they want to be stupid Weaver is here to take advantage of the stupidity if need be.

• Like 1