2022 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

14 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I'd be really surprised if he was traded but I'm ready to be surprised. Portland not moving up does increase the slim chance of it happening but I doubt they offer up a pick that high for a pending UFA.

Can Grant be extended as part of the trade?  I would think that would have to be a given.  

I question whether Weaver would make this trade as much as Portland.  He loves Grant and may prefer to keep him long term.   

They are alternating picks and Sam's sidekick had the Pistons.   He took Murray.  Sam said he would swing for the fences here and go with Sharpe.  His reasoning, he thinks Cade is going to be lights out next year and probably play Detroit out of getting another top pick.  This might be their last shot at getting elite talent at the top of the draft.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hart said:

Can Grant be extended as part of the trade?  I would think that would have to be a given.  

I question whether Weaver would make this trade as much as Portland.  He loves Grant and may prefer to keep him long term.   

I suppose that could be the case but still don't think Grant holds that type of value even if an extension was agreed to.

Agreed entirely with your 2nd sentence. I'm not even sure that Weaver would entertain trading Grant for #7 even if it was offered. I think he loves Grant a lot more than the fans do, I think he sees him as a core piece.

Edited by NYLion

Looking around the internet, here is how the 4 wings being discussed are ranked:

ESPN: Ivey, Murray, Sharpe, Mathurin

Sam Vecenie: Ivey, Murray, Mathurin, Sharpe

Bleacher Report: Ivey, Sharpe, Murray, Mathurin

NBAdraft.net: Ivey, Mathurin, Murray, Sharpe

This is going to be an interesting 5 weeks to say the least.  And somebody further down the list we are not talking about is going to jump up and be in the conversation also. 

Edited by Hart

8 minutes ago, Hart said:

You can do an extend-and-trade, but it almost never happens.  Larry Coon (The guy who made the salary cap FAQ) says it has only happened twice before.  Garnett to Boston and Melo to NY.

portland more likely to deal that pick to chicago if lavine says he wants out.  chicago maxes him and deals him to portland for first rounder, beldsoe and filler.

what they should do is deal lillard but they seem unwilling to consider that.

I agree with that. Kings will take Murray or trade the pick. They want/need to win now. Weaver can choose between Ivey and Sharpe. Outside of getting #1 for Smith, this could wind up being the best draft lottery outcome for us as it keeps us away from Chet, Paolo, and (hopefully) Murray while putting us in position to get one of the athletic guards. 

Edited by Betrayer

I'd be ok with Ivey but I really want Mathurin. I love his measurables(listed at 6'6 with 6'9 wingspan) to go along with his uber athleticism and sweet shooting. I think he could be a perfect fit next to Cade since it seems his one big flaw is his ability to create off the dribble which hopefully wouldn't be as big of concern with a facilitator like Cade. 

Hopefully the idea of increased ticket sales from Sharpe hype will be more enticing to Gores than pressuring Weaver/Casey to start winning sooner by drafting the more immediate player (Murray) who has a much lower ceiling.

Who does Vecenie have Indy taking at #6? Perhaps the Pistons can have their cake and eat it too by trading back into the #7 pick to grab him then.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

Hopefully the idea of increased ticket sales from Sharpe hype will be more enticing to Gores than pressuring Weaver/Casey to start winning sooner by drafting the more immediate player (Murray) who has a much lower ceiling.

Who does Vecenie have Indy taking at #6? Perhaps the Pistons can have their cake and eat it too by trading back into the #7 pick to grab him then.

Murray

For what it's worth both beat writers (Omari and JEIII) came out on their podcasts today talking about how high the organization is on Murray and that they think there's a good chance he's the pick. So, we better spend some time getting used to that idea.

As I said previously, I hope SAC goes for the fit and high floor to take him right before us rather than grabbing one of the guards seeing as how they just traded away a really good guard and are looking to win now.

I don't hate Murray - his shooting will translate and he'll probably be a solid role player in the NBA for a long time - but I want more upside, athleticism, and less overlap with Bey. I suppose I could come to terms with getting Murray if it means that we move Grant (you kind of have to at that point) to Portland for their pick so we can also grab Mathurin.

8 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

For what it's worth both beat writers (Omari and JEIII) came out on their podcasts today talking about how high the organization is on Murray and that they think there's a good chance he's the pick. So, we better spend some time getting used to that idea.

As I said previously, I hope SAC goes for the fit and high floor to take him right before us rather than grabbing one of the guards seeing as how they just traded away a really good guard and are looking to win now.

I don't hate Murray - his shooting will translate and he'll probably be a solid role player in the NBA for a long time - but I want more upside, athleticism, and less overlap with Bey. I suppose I could come to terms with getting Murray if it means that we move Grant (you kind of have to at that point) to Portland for their pick so we can also grab Mathurin.

yeah, but if we traded for 6, weaver would just take duran.  he loves big guys.  okafor, plumlee, stewart, bagley...

On 5/16/2022 at 9:05 PM, Deleterious said:

I wish he had played a bit while at Kentucky.

I didn't get to watch much this year - but I did follow the team.  I am a complete novice when it comes to evaluating talent, but when I hear about taking someone with "upside" in the top 5, my mind automatically goes to Darko, which put this organization in a hole it still hasn't come out of.  Tell my why Sharpe is different?

13 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I didn't get to watch much this year - but I did follow the team.  I am a complete novice when it comes to evaluating talent, but when I hear about taking someone with "upside" in the top 5, my mind automatically goes to Darko, which put this organization in a hole it still hasn't come out of.  Tell my why Sharpe is different?

Darko had the talent to justify his draft position, but he was a knucklehead; stubborn, immature, uncoachable, and lived a very dissipative lifestyle. Is there any reason to assume Sharpe has similar character flaws?

14 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Darko had the talent to justify his draft position, but he was a knucklehead; stubborn, immature, uncoachable, and lived a very dissipative lifestyle. Is there any reason to assume Sharpe has similar character flaws?

Over the years Darko has made it pretty clear he never wanted to play pro basketball. That should have been a pretty big flag if anyone had really paid attention to him as a kid.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Over the years Darko has made it pretty clear he never wanted to play pro basketball. That should have been a pretty big flag if anyone had really paid attention to him as a kid.

Which is weird because the (limited) scouting reports when he played in the Yugoslavian league was that he played a hard game, that he relished knocking players around. That he was not a "soft Euro" which was the common complaint of the time.

So what changed between knocking players around in a Euro-league to not really wanting to play basketball after all?

Was he just a bully who got his way in Euro against smaller/ slower competition and wilted when facing bigger/ tougher guys in the U.S.? Or something else (Euro play was a "false signal"....?)