2022 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

Our best chance to get a little more value for Grant is Portland. They have a lotto pick in a weak draft, a trade exception, a desperate need to add talent so their star doesn't demand a trade, and all kinds of rumors that Lillard and Grant are tight and that Dame wants Grant in Portland. That team is up against a wall, so they might be willing to part with a bit more than Grant's value to get him.

11 hours ago, buddha said:

i think its as likely that they extend him as it is that they trade him.

I think it's far more likely that they extend him. I don't think Weaver is interested at all in trading him, it seems to be a case of him willing to listen to offers but will only pull the trigger if an offer blows him away. I think he sees him as a core player based on what we hear about how much he values Grant from a culture standpoint.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I love Sam Vecenie but he tends to fall in love with athletic guards.

I'll admit that I do too, especially in this weak draft and for this non-athletic team. It's much easier to imagine a higher ceiling on an athletic prospect and this team needs to find a star next to Cade. And obviously, they've got to find a way to inject athleticism into the lineup when Cade, Bey, and Stewart are your starters.

The combine (and our lottery position) will help me determine which order I put the three athletic guards in (Ivey, Sharpe, Mathurin), but those guys are currently at the top of my list right after Jabari, even if it means trading out of #2 and letting someone else take the gamble on Chet or Paolo.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

1-6 could go so many ways in this draft. Even after we know our draft position tomorrow, I'm not sure what we'll know.

I'm not nearly as invested into this lottery as I was last year. Last year, there were 3 must have prospects at the top of the draft with Cade being the most must have. This year, I like the potential of some of the 2nd tier guys just as much as the top guys (Sharpe and Mathurin namely) so if the Pistons fall to 5 or 6 I'm ok with it. Of course, I prefer 1-3 but it's not nearly as much of a necessity as it was last year.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I wish he had played a bit while at Kentucky.

He's obviously a skilled guy but this video really displays nothing. I don't know if I'd call this putting on a "show" playing one on one with the rim.

Not sure about the top 7 last year but I do remember hearing that none of these guys would go before the top 3 or Suggs last year. 

Of course they were talking about how they were viewed pre draft last year. If you factored in how they looked this year Suggs may not be picked over them.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Nearly every draft in the last 15 years has at least 1 All-Star in the top 10 somewhere (sorry 2013). My current thinking is that I'd love to have one of Jabari, Ivey, Sharpe, or Mathurin. I want to swing hard because we need a 1b next to Cade and this is probably our last draft for that type of pick (depending upon lotto balls tonight). But, I do wonder if this organization is leaning towards more immediate talent like Paolo (who I don't want) or Murray (safe pick that probably caps as a role player) from what I've been hearing from James Edwards III.

Either way, what I want more than anything is a second pick to double our odds at landing a star. We all know the Portland rumors and even Sacramento is trying to build an immediate winner. They both have high picks they may be willing to part with because they can't afford to wait 2-3 years to develop the talent. We can.

Of course, these types of trades usually don't happen until draft night, so we'll have to wait and see.

I think this offseason defines Weaver and sets the stage for the franchise. We have a lotto pick, we have Grant's contract to trade or extend, and we have a bunch of cap space. He could either put us in a great position for the future with a winning pick and good contracts or pick a bust and lock us into bad contracts that don't age well. It might even define Cade's impression of playing in Detroit over the next couple years and whether or not he sticks past his rookie deal.

No pressure.

19 hours ago, NYLion said:

I'm not nearly as invested into this lottery as I was last year. Last year, there were 3 must have prospects at the top of the draft with Cade being the most must have. This year, I like the potential of some of the 2nd tier guys just as much as the top guys (Sharpe and Mathurin namely) so if the Pistons fall to 5 or 6 I'm ok with it. Of course, I prefer 1-3 but it's not nearly as much of a necessity as it was last year.

I agree for the most part.  Even so, I am sitting here excited waiting for the lottery to start. 

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Would any of the top 5-7 prospects in this years draft have been in the top 5-7 of last years class?

I'd say so.  Last year's draft was obviously strong but Wagner, Barnes, Suggs, Giddey, and Kuminga had the same question marks we are asking about this year's prospects.  It just so happens they put a lot of the worries people had about them to rest already.  

On 5/10/2022 at 9:08 PM, NYLion said:

I think it's far more likely that they extend him. I don't think Weaver is interested at all in trading him, it seems to be a case of him willing to listen to offers but will only pull the trigger if an offer blows him away. I think he sees him as a core player based on what we hear about how much he values Grant from a culture standpoint.

I don’t see grant being extended.  Much more likely he is traded. Fits the plan much better.