2022 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

20 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Yea, I'm hoping for an OKC win tonight, which could seal the deal.

I'm also hoping for the Portland trade to come through on draft night to give us a second lottery pick. My guess is that Weaver didn't see a point in rushing to make the trade before knowing where the pick would land or if protections would push it down the road a year or more (New Orleans pick only conveys between 5 and 14). On draft night, all cards will be on the table and Portland needs Grant to help rebuild around Lillard in a hurry.

that assumes the portland trade is still there on draft night.  lots of things can happen between now and then.  portland could decide to cash in the lillard chips and deal him for a huge package somewhere.  then were potentially stuck with grant or dealing him to the lakers for a 2047 first round pick.

As far as Weaver not wanting to rush a trade.  Portland already traded away their original first round pick.  Meaning they could not trade the Pelicans pick at the deadline.  So it was never an option.  

If it happens, it will be a deal agreed to before the draft, Portland will make the pick for us, and the trade will be completed once the new business season starts in July.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id prefer a pick in a different draft but if all we can get is a lottery pick in this draft Ill settle for that for Grant.

Not a rhetorical question but is there any reason to believe his value would be higher if we waited and traded him at next year's deadline?

i think it would probably be less because he'll be at the end of his deal and he'll want an extension.

unless you envision packaging contracts for a player on a large deal?  but i dont see the pistons doing that or having the additional contracts - or being able to give up the picks - to do so.

Sam Vecenie posted a new mock on April 1st.  He has said multiple times who goes first will really depend on which teams gets the #1 pick.  No clear cut #1 like Cade last year.  He does have Detroit taking Bachero but he also said team needs are not taken into account yet. 

Smith

Chet

Banchero

Ivey

Murray

Mathurin

Griffin

Duren

Sochan

Davis

3 hours ago, buddha said:

that assumes the portland trade is still there on draft night.  lots of things can happen between now and then.  portland could decide to cash in the lillard chips and deal him for a huge package somewhere.  then were potentially stuck with grant or dealing him to the lakers for a 2047 first round pick.

I wasn't saying it was a wise move to wait on trading Grant, but I also have no idea what was on the table. I'm just hoping we trade him in the offseason and don't extend him. I highly doubt we go into next season without one of those two things happening and I'd prefer not to pay a guy like Grant 112M at this point in the rebuild.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

OKC came back from 18 down midway through the 4th I believe with one of the worst lineups I've ever seen an NBA team put on the court. Hell, I don't even think that team would make the playoffs in the G League. 

They aren't even hiding it anymore. They signed two G-League guys today and started them.

13 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

They aren't even hiding it anymore. They signed two G-League guys today and started them.

I'd like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable about most NBA players, even the scrubs, and even I didn't recognize most of the names in that lineup. They sat their NBA scrubs to play G League level scrubs. Might be time to shut down Cade and the boys for the season and go with their own stealth tank lineup.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I'd like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable about most NBA players, even the scrubs, and even I didn't recognize most of the names in that lineup. They sat their NBA scrubs to play G League level scrubs. Might be time to shut down Cade and the boys for the season and go with their own stealth tank lineup.

Boy you weren't kidding about that lineup, just went and looked at it and not counting Simpson who I only know cause of Michigan the only guys I think I heard of was Roby and Hoard and the latter is only from watching him play the Pistons last week. 

Yeah, I would take Mathurin over Davis.  But Davis could be the second guard off the board and I don't think it is crazy to think he could end up one of the better players in the draft.  Great shot maker, gets to the rim, nice mid-range game.  Just lacks the three point shot, like 90% of the players in the draft.

Givony and Schmitz released their latest mock.  Normally they are some of the best in the business.  But Mathurin at #12 seems insane.  I would sell my soul to get an extra pick and snatch him at 12.

1. Houston Rockets: Chet Holmgren | Gonzaga | 7-0 | PF | Age: 19.9
  2. Orlando Magic: Jabari Smith | Auburn | 6-10 | SF/PF | Age: 18.8
  3. Detroit Pistons: Paolo Banchero | Duke | 6-10 | PF/C | Age: 19.3
  4. Oklahoma City Thunder: Jaden Ivey | Purdue | 6-4 | PG/SG | Age: 20.1
  5. Indiana Pacers: Keegan Murray | Iowa | 6-9 | PF/C | Age: 21.6
  6. Portland Trail Blazers: Shaedon Sharpe | Kentucky | 6-6 | SG | Age: 18.8
  7. Sacramento Kings: Johnny Davis | Wisconsin | 6-5 | PG/SG | Age: 20.1
  8. New Orleans Pelicans (from Lakers): AJ Griffin | Duke | 6-6 | SF/PF | Age: 18.6
  9. San Antonio Spurs: Jalen Duren | Memphis | 6-10 | C | Age: 18.3
  10. Washington Wizards: Dyson Daniels | G League Ignite | 6-6 | PG/SG | Age: 19.0

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Givony and Schmitz released their latest mock.  Normally they are some of the best in the business.  But Mathurin at #12 seems insane.  I would sell my soul to get an extra pick and snatch him at 12.

Well, if nobody objects....

Davis doesn't excite me.  I would not be upset with him in the lower lottery but I would rather keep Grant than draft Davis.   The thing I don't know about Grant is what is it going to cost to keep him long term and is he worth the money.  But I did think he was playing better after he came back for injury when he let Cade take over as the main option.  

I can see the argument for trading Grant.  The Pistons are in a good spot either way.  They just need to make a decision about spending the money to sign him long term.  

Walker Kessler is another guy that's interesting.  Looks like he could be a premium shot blocker and rim protector and it's not unlikely that he develops a jump shot down the line.  However, he is not being projected in the lottery at this point so he is really not an option for the Pistons.  I like Chet but I think Kessler has more defensive upside.  Which is saying something.  

Edited by Hart

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

1. Houston Rockets: Chet Holmgren | Gonzaga | 7-0 | PF | Age: 19.9
  2. Orlando Magic: Jabari Smith | Auburn | 6-10 | SF/PF | Age: 18.8
  3. Detroit Pistons: Paolo Banchero | Duke | 6-10 | PF/C | Age: 19.3
  4. Oklahoma City Thunder: Jaden Ivey | Purdue | 6-4 | PG/SG | Age: 20.1
  5. Indiana Pacers: Keegan Murray | Iowa | 6-9 | PF/C | Age: 21.6
  6. Portland Trail Blazers: Shaedon Sharpe | Kentucky | 6-6 | SG | Age: 18.8
  7. Sacramento Kings: Johnny Davis | Wisconsin | 6-5 | PG/SG | Age: 20.1
  8. New Orleans Pelicans (from Lakers): AJ Griffin | Duke | 6-6 | SF/PF | Age: 18.6
  9. San Antonio Spurs: Jalen Duren | Memphis | 6-10 | C | Age: 18.3
  10. Washington Wizards: Dyson Daniels | G League Ignite | 6-6 | PG/SG | Age: 19.0

Curious, who did they have at 11?

Mathurin at 12 seems crazy to me too. I have him in the top 5 tbh.

Scouts seems to really be falling in love with Murray lately. I'm seeing a lot of top 5 projections for him recently. I like Murray too but I'm not sure that he has as much upside as some of the more athletic younger prospects in that 2nd tier.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1