2022 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which is weird because the (limited) scouting reports when he played in the Yugoslavian league was that he played a hard game, that he relished knocking players around. That he was not a "soft Euro" which was the common complaint of the time.

So what changed between knocking players around in a Euro-league to not really wanting to play basketball after all?

Was he just a bully who got his way in Euro against smaller/ slower competition and wilted when facing bigger/ tougher guys in the U.S.? Or something else (Euro play was a "false signal"....?)

It wasn't at all talent, he was a moody, immature, unfocused, uncoachable personality who lived hard.

41 minutes ago, Longgone said:

It wasn't at all talent, he was a moody, immature, unfocused, uncoachable personality who lived hard.

On his WIKI it's  reported that he's a fan of some Serbian nationalist types, which often is synonymous with white/aryan racism. If he had any of those tendencies when he was in the NBA that could have been a problem for him!

Just to pile on a bit.  Bates measurements from the Memphis pro day at the beginning of the season.

A wingspan less than his height is pretty odd.

3.42 shuttle run?  Luka Garza did it in 3.38 at last years combine.

3.72 second sprint?  Garza was dead last at last years combine, he did it in 3.51.

12.8 second agility?  Garza wasn't last (Isiah Mobley 12.7) but he did it in 11.9 seconds.

It was ugly and great foreshadowing on what type of year he was going to have.

On 5/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, djhutch said:

I didn't get to watch much this year - but I did follow the team.  I am a complete novice when it comes to evaluating talent, but when I hear about taking someone with "upside" in the top 5, my mind automatically goes to Darko, which put this organization in a hole it still hasn't come out of.  Tell my why Sharpe is different?

Cause its silly to worry about what happened 20 years ago and 9 GMS ago. 

If you're gonna be scared about every bust in your franchise history you're never gonna draft anyone

Jalen Duren has the same 7-5 wingspan as Chet and is built like an actual athlete...scouts say he has some potential for some midrange offense to develop on top of the put backs and lobs.  Maybe it's just me...but I would take him over Chet.  Wouldn't mind him at 5...if the Blazers send us that 7 pick in a Grant deal, I would definitely take him then.

Shaedon Sharpe and Duren is my swing for the fences draft

I think 5 is too much of a reach for Duren when there are better prospects on the board, but if we get the Portland pick (or maybe he falls to the Washington pick and they still want Grant), then he'd be a solid option. From what the beat writers are saying, Duren is someone that the Piston's org really likes as well.

Most of all I want one of the guards (Ivey, Sharpe, or Mathurin) to put next to Cade at #5. Last year we started CoJo at that spot, so that's clearly our biggest need. In this draft it's also our best chance at landing a guy with All-Star potential. After that, I'd love to see them get a second pick so we can maximize Grant as an asset and don't have to pay him an extension (or wind up using him in a sign and trade for the privilege of maxing out Ayton - please no).

I saw Grant was trending last night so I clicked on his name to see what was up and all the commotion was about a trade proposal a Thunder blogger came up with. 

He suggested that if the Thunder are serious about wanting to trade up from 12 that they could package 12 and Dort to Portland for number 7 and then Portland could trade the 12th pick for Grant.

Id of course rather just trade straight up with the Blazers for the 7th pick but if this is the only way to facilitate a move with them Id settle for 12. In this scenario the Blazers would get Dort and Grant for the 7th pick instead of just Grant if they went straight through us. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw Grant was trending last night so I clicked on his name to see what was up and all the commotion was about a trade proposal a Thunder blogger came up with. 

He suggested that if the Thunder are serious about wanting to trade up from 12 that they could package 12 and Dort to Portland for number 7 and then Portland could trade the 12th pick for Grant.

Id of course rather just trade straight up with the Blazers for the 7th pick but if this is the only way to facilitate a move with them Id settle for 12. In this scenario the Blazers would get Dort and Grant for the 7th pick instead of just Grant if they went straight through us. 

That is the most realistic Grant trade I have seen yet.  Much better return for Portland on #7.

The only nitpick I have is OKC giving up Dort.  I think the value is just fine going both ways.  But Dort is only 23 and at some point OKC has to start hanging onto players.  You can't put a team of future draft picks on the court.  And they don't exactly need another pick.

In a vacuum, I get the Keegan Murray love from some folks. He projects as a high floor player and Weaver gets a lot more heat for missing on a Sharpe pick if he busts then he does for drafting an average quality starter. He'll also contribute to winning sooner, and who knows what pressure Gores is applying from behind the scenes. So, it's safe in a lot of ways.

Problem is you have to look at the rest of this team. You already have a very similar style low athleticism player in Bey. You have a cerebral, average athlete at guard (Cade). You have a switchable but undersized and less athletic big in Stewart. Your other hopeful guard (because maybe drafting Keegan is an ego thing about not giving up Killian) is also not very athletic. You're rumored to be interested in a 6'1" non-athletic guard in Brunson. And if you're grabbing Murray, then Grant is out the door so there goes your only athlete in the starting lineup.

In isolation, every one of these players is fine in a lineup. But put them all together and you have the least athletic lineup in the entire NBA. That's a problem. It was a problem last year and this will make it even worse.

I'm completely on board with the logic that this is likely to be the Pistons last shot at a high pick for a while because of Cade. You HAVE to swing for the fences to get another star next to him or risk being mediocre forever (until Cade leaves) because you aren't getting that star in free agency in Detroit and you don't want to mortgage all your other assets to trade for a superstar.

Even if you don't take Sharpe/Ivey, you take Mathurin instead of Murray because he's probably the best of both worlds. High floor (maybe not quite as high as Keegan's) and high ceiling (though not as high as Sharpe/Ivey). So, he's a good in-between pick if Weaver is feeling heat to get a sure thing but still wants the chance at a higher ceiling player.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

In a vacuum, I get the Keegan Murray love from some folks. He projects as a high floor player and Weaver gets a lot more heat for missing on a Sharpe pick if he busts then he does for drafting an average quality starter. He'll also contribute to winning sooner, and who knows what pressure Gores is applying from behind the scenes. So, it's safe in a lot of ways.

Problem is you have to look at the rest of this team. You already have a very similar style low athleticism player in Bey. You have a cerebral, average athlete at guard (Cade). You have a switchable but undersized and less athletic big in Stewart. Your other hopeful guard (because maybe drafting Keegan is an ego thing about not giving up Killian) is also not very athletic. You're rumored to be interested in a 6'1" non-athletic guard in Brunson. And if you're grabbing Murray, then Grant is out the door so there goes your only athlete in the starting lineup.

In isolation, every one of these players is fine in a lineup. But put them all together and you have the least athletic lineup in the entire NBA. That's a problem. It was a problem last year and this will make it even worse.

I'm completely on board with the logic that this is likely to be the Pistons last shot at a high pick for a while because of Cade. You HAVE to swing for the fences to get another star next to him or risk being mediocre forever (until Cade leaves) because you aren't getting that star in free agency in Detroit and you don't want to mortgage all your other assets to trade for a superstar.

Even if you don't take Sharpe/Ivey, you take Mathurin instead of Murray because he's probably the best of both worlds. High floor (maybe not quite as high as Keegan's) and high ceiling (though not as high as Sharpe/Ivey). So, he's a good in-between pick if Weaver is feeling heat to get a sure thing but still wants the chance at a higher ceiling player.

Geez Murray would be lucky to be drafted at this point. 

You guys make it seem like he has ZERO upside no skills and is basically crap. Meanwhile Sharpe is sure to hit and become a star. Neither is true. 

6 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Geez Murray would be lucky to be drafted at this point. 

You guys make it seem like he has ZERO upside no skills and is basically crap. Meanwhile Sharpe is sure to hit and become a star. Neither is true. 

I don't think so, they are saying Ivey and Sharpe have higher ceilings, and the Pistons should take the highest ceiling player, granting that Murray has the higher floor.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, buddha said:

current mood:

mathurin

ivey

murray

sharpe

dont know enough about sharpe to say.

Currently I'm Mathurin, Sharpe, Ivey, Murray but I'm sure I will change a bunch of times from now till the draft. Even though I know little about Sharpe the only reason I have him so high despite never watching him play a game is because he was the number 1 recruit out of high school so he has the pedigree that I'm banking on.  

6 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I can’t get behind drafting Shaedon Sharpe because “Cade and the Shade” will become a thing and it’s fucking stupid.    

It would be "Cade Throwing Shaed," but it would probably be better than the Dennis and Fennis Show.

What Vecenie says about Daniels (He has him 10th currently).

His combine measurements.  6'7.5" in shoes.  8'9" standing reach.  6'10.5" wingspan.  195 pounds.

Dyson Daniels | 6-7 wing | 19 years old | G League Ignite

Daniels is a terrific playmaker and defender for his size. Sources have told me he has grown throughout the past year — we’ll find that out officially at the combine this week — and if that’s the case, it’s easy to see him rising throughout the draft process. I don’t think there is a better perimeter defender in the class, as he’s switchable and disruptive with awesome instincts. He shared point guard duties for the Ignite and was their best option because of his unselfishness.

His draft stock just comes down to his shooting. His shot doesn’t look broken, but there are some slight mechanical tweaks he needs to make to get better rhythm and power from the lower half of his body. If his shooting comes around, Daniels profiles as a terrific starting guard who could turn into one of the best role players in the NBA.