2022 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

Nice to hear that he actually participated in a competitive workout.

Right now I'm assuming we're going to draft Murray. I like the kid and I'll be happy to root for him. Great character and I'm sure he'll be a solid player. But...

I can't help but feel like he's the kind of player you can get in free agency or in the middle of the first round (like Bey). Meanwhile, if one of the others hit their ceiling (Ivey, Sharpe, and even Mathurin) you aren't signing that kind of player in free agency because that's an All-Star. For me, that's why I'd prefer one of them. You only get so many shots at All-Stars and even less if you're in a market like Detroit. You can get "solid" players anytime down the road through trades or free agency.

Either way, I really just want to see the Pistons do more than just make their pick and go home. There's been so much talk about trading Grant for another pick and Weaver making sure his "clip is always empty" that if we walk away with just Murray and some nobody at pick #47 I'm going to feel like the clip definitely was not emptied.

Edited by Betrayer
  • Thanks 1

Assuming no Jabari drop right now I'm at 1A Murray and 1B Mathurin. Daniels, Sharpe and Ivey are all pretty much even in my eyes in terms of my want for them. I won't be disappointed if they draft any of them but they would all be my 3rd choice.

To me it's fun to dream about upside and ceiling but you have to factor in the likelihood that a player will hit that ceiling. I think the likelihood Daniels, Sharpe and Ivey hit it is too low for me to take over guys like Murray or Mathurin.

I think Murray and Mathurin can come in and contribute from day 1 and while they may not offer superstar upside(not saying it's impossible for either to get there though) I think they offer very real All Star upside so I don't think we're talking about just a run of mill guys you can easily get in FA. 

Really though barring Weaver doing something crazy I don't think I will walk away from this draft disappointed like say the Stanley Johnson draft. Even the 3 players I mentioned that I don't necessarily prefer I still see the potential value in their upside and wouldn't be kicking and screaming if they do end up with them. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34098510/sources-dallas-mavericks-acquire-christian-wood-houston-rockets-26th-pick-nba-draft-4-players

christian wood to the mavs for the #26 pick and salary filler.

does that set a market for grant?

houston just piling up draft picks.  how long until were all surprised when we find out the pistons owe them a #1 pick for trevor ariza and isaiah stewart?

Doubt Taco Bell at your own risk.  They know something nobody else does.  I’ll put their quants up against any.  

The pick has to be Johnny Davis.   He’s going to be the best player in the draft.   

Edited by Hongbit
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Givony has a new mock.

1. Jabari

2. Chet

3. Paolo

4. Ivey

5. Murray

6. Mathurin

7. Daniels

8. Sharpe

9. Duren

10. Davis

Interesting because he insinuated that lots of people in the Kings organization prefer Murray including Rivadive (the owner) and Mike Brown and what's also interesting is that Ivey was interviewed recently and asked about where he thinks he might go/wants to go and he mentioned the Pistons and Pacers but not Kings. I don't know if any of this means much but it seems far from a lock that Ivey goes to the Kings unless they trade the pick and I wouldn't have thought that about a week ago.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the Pistons even take Ivey if he drops to them (and Murray is gone). I could see them taking Mathurin over him.

Edited by NYLion

2 hours ago, buddha said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34098510/sources-dallas-mavericks-acquire-christian-wood-houston-rockets-26th-pick-nba-draft-4-players

christian wood to the mavs for the #26 pick and salary filler.

does that set a market for grant?

houston just piling up draft picks.  how long until were all surprised when we find out the pistons owe them a #1 pick for trevor ariza and isaiah stewart?

No. Grant is better. Wood is one of those fan favorites that isn't actually very good.

I wouldn't expect #7 in return for Grant but he's certainly better than Wood, as more of a 2 way guy that teams tend to covet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

No. Grant is better. Wood is one of those fan favorites that isn't actually very good.

I wouldn't expect #7 in return for Grant but he's certainly better than Wood, as more of a 2 way guy that teams tend to covet.

that's what i meant.  if wood gets filler and the #26 pick, grant should be worth at least a late lottery pick.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

that's what i meant.  if wood gets filler and the #26 pick, grant should be worth at least a late lottery pick.

You would think so but I don't see any teams in the late lottery that would be in on him. The rumored (speculated) Atlanta deal of 16th plus Bogdanovic or Gallinari seems a tad underwhelming although I suppose avoiding the Grant extension would be the real value.

Edited by NYLion

Just now, NYLion said:

You would think so but I don't see any teams in the late lottery that would be in on him. The rumored Atlanta deal of 16th plus Bogdanovic or Gallinari seems a tad underwhelming.

i'd wait for the deadline rather than make that deal.