2022 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

14 hours ago, buddha said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34098510/sources-dallas-mavericks-acquire-christian-wood-houston-rockets-26th-pick-nba-draft-4-players

christian wood to the mavs for the #26 pick and salary filler.

does that set a market for grant?

houston just piling up draft picks.  how long until were all surprised when we find out the pistons owe them a #1 pick for trevor ariza and isaiah stewart?

I was just looking up the protections on that pick and apparently it now belongs to OKC.  It was traded last year in the Sengun trade.

FWIW, here are the protections. 

Detroit's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City (via Houston) protected for selections 1-18 in 2023, 1-18 in 2024, 1-13 in 2025, 1-11 in 2026 and 1-9 in 2027; if Detroit has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Oklahoma City by 2027, then Detroit will instead convey its 2027 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City [Detroit-Houston, 11/24/2020; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/30/2021]

Vecenie and Pennie did another mock on their podcast where they make each pick.  A little goofy since Sam took Chet #1 and his reason was it would be silly for him not to pick the #1 guy on his board.  

Anyway, he picked Mathurin for Detroit at #5 and Murray was still on the board.  I time stamped the video to start right at the Pistons pick.

25 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I was just looking up the protections on that pick and apparently it now belongs to OKC.  It was traded last year in the Sengun trade.

FWIW, here are the protections. 

great, so it will end up being shai gilgeous alexander again.

https://theathletic.com/3365655/2022/06/16/nba-draft-2022-top-75-prospects/

Hollinger's latest big board. Since its him I don't know if it's more analytical or scouting based, reading through some of the reports it has a bit of both but not sure how much it sways to either side. 

He has tier 1 guys as 1. Jabari 2. Paulo

Tier 2 3.Ivey 4. Chet

Tier 3 5. Mathurin 6. Sharpe 7. Murray

Tier 4 Sochan, 9. Daniels 10. Minott 11. Wesley

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I hope that means that if CHET falls to 5 that they are NOT going to consider him anyways...

Or if Pancho or Ivey fall to 5... is that a discussion? Let's say it's Jabari, Chet, Mathurin (surprise!) and 1 of Pancho or Ivey is selected with the other falling to #5...

If Ivey falls... him, or Keegan?

If Pancho falls, him or Keegan? 

(If Keegan somehow slips into the top 4, replace the choices with Mathurin or ______).

Just wondering what everyone else thinks....

I'm sure most of Weaver's top 4 are projected to go before 5 (assuming that Ivey is a part of that top 4) so he'll need one of them to fall to get his guy i.e at the mercy of the board.

The closer we get to this thing, the more I hope Ivey falls. He has some serious deficiencies but he has the star potential that Murray and Mathurin just don't have and you need stars to win in this league. I wavered on this for a while and had Mathurin over Ivey earlier in the process but now I'm on Ivey. The shooting can be worked on but that natural elite athleticism and attack mentality is too enticing to turn down. Not to mention that Ivey actually wants to be here.

I still have a hard time believing that the Kings won't maximize the value of that pick by taking the long term upside in Ivey or trading the pick for a haul but it's the Kings so who knows.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I hope that means that if CHET falls to 5 that they are NOT going to consider him anyways...

People look at his matchstick build and just assume he's going to be outmuscled in the NBA, but the dude can play. He can do a lot of valuable things in today's game. He's not going to be wrestling for position in the paint...

9 minutes ago, Longgone said:

... just assume he's going to be outmuscled in the NBA...

That's exactly my assumption and I'm just not interested.

I would say he's probably going to be a really good regular season player and a dud playoff player. And will be off the court 50% of the time due to injuries...

But I'm just guessing.

I'm not interested.

Even if he falls to #5.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NYLion said:

I'm sure most of Weaver's top 4 are projected to go before 5 (assuming that Ivey is a part of that top 4) so he'll need one of them to fall to get his guy i.e at the mercy of the board.

The closer we get to this thing, the more I hope Ivey falls. He has some serious deficiencies but he has the star potential that Murray and Mathurin just don't have and you need stars to win in this league. I wavered on this for a while and had Mathurin over Ivey earlier in the process but now I'm on Ivey. The shooting can be worked on but that natural elite athleticism and attack mentality is too enticing to turn down. Not to mention that Ivey actually wants to be here.

I still have a hard time believing that the Kings won't maximize the value of that pick by taking the long term upside in Ivey or trading the pick for a haul but it's the Kings so who knows.

Mathurin also has elite athleticism and has actually shown the ability to shoot from the outside as well as wreak havoc in transition. Yes his ability off the dribble needs work but I think he has just as good of chance to develop that to his game as Ivey has to be a legitimate shooter in the NBA. 

I think the pick is either Ivey or Murray, whichever the Kings don't take. This draft starts at #4 with the Kings pick.

As for the Kings, if the rumors are true and they really want Murray - which they should since he has a high floor, they just traded away Haliburton to make it the Fox show, and Ivey is rumored to not want to go to the Kings - then they're in a tight spot. The only options they have are to just take Murray at #4 or trade with us, because if Ivey is off the board then Murray isn't falling past us at #5. Kind of puts us in the driver's seat if we're happy with either player.

As for Mathurin, he's a great prospect, but in my opinion the Pistons are viewing him in that later range of 7-12 alongside guys like Sharpe, Daniels, and Duren if they can get a second pick for Grant. I don't see him being taken at #5 with Ivey or Murray on the board.

Beat writers are saying that Weaver's camp plays this way closer to the vest than previous front offices. I'm not sure how much real info we're getting right now and how much is smokescreen. Makes sense, particularly in this draft with there's a very slim margin between these players and you've got a team ahead of you and a bunch behind you that may want to make moves. You want to keep as much leverage as possible.

It is interesting nonetheless that the Sharpe talk has really died down. Pistons will come away with Ivey, Murray, or maybe Mathurin (I think this only happens if they trade down). I don't think we'll see Sharpe unless the Pistons get a second pick, but even then it just feels like this front office would rather let someone else take that chance.

After reading some of Sam's guide about Ivey it makes me feel better about him if we do indeed draft him. I trust Sam's opinion so by him putting him in the top tier and saying that he believes he will be a capable outside shooter at the next level it does ease my concerns about that aspect of his game and in turn him as a player.

I still think I'd rather have Murray or Mathurin just cause I love the potential immediate contribution they can bring and I feel that they offer a better combination of fit and floor than Ivey while also possessing enough upside to warrant the number 5 pick but after reading Sam's guide I would totally be fine if we do indeed end up with Jaden. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1