4/28 @ 1:10 Tigers @ Twins

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - we dump on him but Victor catches most of what comes his way. He's certainly a better fielder than Hasse or Castro, and probably Grossman and Meadows was well.

which makes him a decent bench player.  Just don't give him too many at bats versus RHP.  

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - we dump on him but Victor catches most of what comes his way. He's certainly a better fielder than Hasse or Castro, and probably Grossman and Meadows was well.

Victor does a decent job in the field.  I think people question him because he doesn't look real smooth on the defensive plays.  I would go with a four player rotation in the OF.  That would be Baddoo, Meadows, Hill and Grossman and stop playing back up catchers and utility infielders.   When Victor comes back I would probably send Baddoo down or better yet do we really need three catchers?  Hill is probably the best defensive OF on the team and he has had mostly good at bats since he's been back.  

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's not so much a matter of support of a basically replacement level player, it's that they don't play him in front of players that are really bad!

In general, I think he has been used correctly during his career.  Even now with their poor outfield defense, how long would fans tolerate him if he has an OPS of .650 versus RHP?  It's best to pick your spots with him.  I am happy to see Hill get some consistent at bats for a while even thouigh I doubt he will do enough offensively.  

27 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

In general, I think he has been used correctly during his career.  Even now with their poor outfield defense, how long would fans tolerate him if he has an OPS of .650 versus RHP?  It's best to pick your spots with him.  I am happy to see Hill get some consistent at bats for a while even thouigh I doubt he will do enough offensively.  

At least Hill has enough sense of his own limitations as a hitter to take what the defense is giving him on occasion. In this shift happy league that might be enough for him to stay viable.