4/28 @ 1:10 Tigers @ Twins

Tigeraholic1

I'm not to the point where I'm revising expectations downward (yet), but it's increasingly looking like they're going to have hit my number by doing something similar to what they did last year. And that's pretty disheartening.

It's hard to keep a glass half full with this team when they keep starting with stretches like this. As flawed as they are, particularly with their depth on the infield, I do think they are better than what they are showing. And the pitching, IMO, is probably better than last year's team, will keep them in games and will give them chances to win whenever the offense does start to pick up.

But it's hard to stay positive when the product looks as bad as it has the past couple of days. It's unacceptable really. And if keeps up, they will need to make some changes... baseball is a results game, and if you aren't getting results, you shouldn't be comfortable.

Edited by mtutiger

Barnhart has been the biggest disappointment to me. I can accept Schoop slumping, that Baddoo has sophomore jitters, that Haase's '21 was pixie dust, even maybe that Candelario isn't the player we think he is, but Barnhart has a pretty decent track record - yet so far has been pretty inept in all phases of the game. Just make a damn play at least once.

• Like 1

Well, what can I say? This is what you get when you put all your rebuilding eggs in the pitching basket. A lot of us on the old board were saying for years that they're doing it completely backwards, and now we see why, firsthand. Especially considering two of those precious eggs are broken with no timetable for return.

Let's face it: by the time they got around to selecting TORK! and Riley, this die was cast.

This is the kid of situation in which managers earn their keep.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

I thought we were supposed to do better than last year?  Somehow I envision it as a let down if we only threaten (and fail) to attain .500 again this season

2021 Tigers after 18 games were 7-11.

2022 Tigers after 18 games are 6-12.

Fire Ausmus.

I do think they are doing the bench players exactly backward. They are opting for guys that 'hit' at least insofar as any bench player is a hitter. But an empty BA like Harold's is just not going to help you as much as guys that can't defend are going to hurt you, and we are seeing the proof. Give me Zach Short any day - or yes - even a Kreidler who is overmatched by big league pitchers sometimes.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I do think they are doing the bench players exactly backward. They are opting for guys that 'hit' at least insofar as any bench player is a hitter. But an empty BA like Harold's is just not going to help you as much as guys that can't defend are going to hurt you, and we are seeing the proof. Give me Zach Short any day.

Agree with this.

We're carrying part catcher/part utility outfielder who isn't great behind the plate and untested in left field, another catcher, and two utility infielders (with the same last name) who hit singles but can't play defense.

They could change this situation today and improve the defensive options off the bench (and possibly the offense, given how things have gone so far) with a couple of roster moves, but they are too stubborn for that. Particularly with the Castros... 

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

did people think we were going to be good?

FWIW, in my mind I set a benchmark of .500 as the reasonable goal this season, towards  better things to follow.

Of course I set that goal intentionally on the conservative side, hoping to dodge disappointment.   But DANG! big Al got me again.  

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

a 3 game series may be 2%, but 18 games is 11% already.

Yep.

I'm more positive than most around here, and I know that Hasty draws paychecks from the org.

But it's a fine line between keeping things positive / upbeat and showing contempt and gaslighting the fanbase who clearly sees poor results / poor play after 18 games. And he is straddling it.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

did people think we were going to be good?

The majority of fans I interact with thought they would end up with a better record than last year.  Many belittled the pre-season projections saying they would only win 73 or 75 games or whatever. 

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I do think they are doing the bench players exactly backward. They are opting for guys that 'hit' at least insofar as any bench player is a hitter. But an empty BA like Harold's is just not going to help you as much as guys that can't defend are going to hurt you, and we are seeing the proof. Give me Zach Short any day - or yes - even a Kreidler who is overmatched by big league pitchers sometimes.

Empty batting averages on the bench were OK when they had 5 or 6 men benches.  Guys like that make good pinch hitters.  When you have a 3-4 man bench they all need to be able to play a position or two.  

2 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

I know its  just a "coulda, shoulda, woulda"...but I sincerely believe VR would have nabbed that Sano drive to right field Wednesday night.

yeah - we dump on him but Victor catches most of what comes his way. He's certainly a better fielder than Hasse or Castro, and probably Grossman and Meadows was well.