5/8 2:10 Tigers @ Astros

Tigeraholic1

10 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

But, as you know already, no one was suggesting any of those alternatives.  Hill in center, Baddoo in left.

As long as we don't mind their meager bats in the lineup every day, then sure, that's fine.

The roster is simply not good.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

As long as we don't mind their meager bats in the lineup every day, then sure, that's fine.

They would have won that ball game with Hill's meager bat in the lineup.

It's not even about whether the roster is good or not, but i find it hard to defend putting Willi in LF under any circumstances.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Agreed, it isn't good.  If you know you are going to have trouble scoring runs, always use actual outfielders in the outfield, not shortstops who can't play short or catchers who can't catch.  That loss is going to bug me for a long time.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's not even about whether the roster is good or not, but i find it hard to defend putting Willi in LF under any circumstances.

Not to mention that Willi isn't exactly Babe Ruth

It works like this: Hinch was a genius last year when things were going well, but April was not his fault.  This season is not his fault either.  It's Avila's fault, but if they get healthy and start playing well, it will be because Hinch is a genius.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Willi hasn't played enough for his fielding stats to mean much, but has clearly and grossly misjudged two balls out of a small number of chances. I not sure I want to wait until the stats prove out what we can see already - He's not good at judging fly balls.

I know, anecdotes. I get it. If you don't like Willi out there, then get Willi out of there. I don't care.

Let's put Baddoo in left and Hill in center, and then we can blame Hinch for running terrible hitters out there every game. It's all in good fun.

If people want to blame Hinch for driving this team into last place because he tried Willi in left for 33 innings, that's fine, go ahead. All I'm saying is, I don't agree that Hinch is the main reason we're 8-19. I think it's mainly the roster. If I stand alone on that opinion, that's fine, then I'll stand alone on it. I'm used to that. 😁

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

With a roster as poorly-constructed as this, on the kind of skid we've been on, I'm not blaming Hinch for trying something anything to get the team untracked.

7 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Agreed, it isn't good.  If you know you are going to have trouble scoring runs, always use actual outfielders in the outfield, not shortstops who can't play short or catchers who can't catch.  That loss is going to bug me for a long time.

That's cool. As of today, that's Baddoo, Hill, Grossman, and literally nobody else. Get them out there all day, every day, no days off, play through your owies and your fatigue and your slumps. Fine by me. We're not winning either way, until the roster changes.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Let's put Baddoo in left and Hill in center, and then we can blame Hinch for running terrible hitters out there every game. It's all in good fun 

Absolutely no one is blaming Hinch because guys aren't hitting.  We are just citing an instance in which what seemed to us as an extremely dumb lineup construction was responsible for a loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It works like this: Hinch was a genius last year when things were going well, but April was not his fault.  This season is not his fault either.  It's Avila's fault, but if they get healthy and start playing well, it will be because Hinch is a genius.  

Pretty much.

If AJ makes a decision that literally everyone knows is dumb, like playing Willi Castro in left, he can't be blamed because he's "trying something new".

I'm sorry, Friday wasn't Willi's first rodeo with misjudged fly balls. He did it quite a bit in 2021 when they initially experimented with it. He's not above criticism for going to the well again when there are actual outfielders on the team who can at least be above replacement level out there.

2 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Absolutely no one is blaming Hinch because guys aren't hitting.  We are just citing an instance in which what seemed to us as an extremely dumb lineup construction was responsible for a loss.

And I'm trying to explain that there aren't a lot of choices here, and the choices are terrible at this moment.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm sorry, Friday wasn't Willi's first rodeo with misjudged fly balls. He did it quite a bit in 2021 when they initially experimented with it. He's not above criticism for going to the well again when there are actual outfielders on the team who can at least be above replacement level out there.

Well, that's a bit of a stretch ... 😅

Edited by chasfh

Just now, chasfh said:

Well, that's a bit of a stretch ... 😅

Or even at replacement level on defense!

Seriously, the the Astros broadcasters spent the better part of Friday and Saturday lampooning the fact that AJ sent him out there. And I can't blame them... he just can't play the position

• Like 1