5/8 2:10 Tigers @ Astros

Tigeraholic1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And I'm trying to explain that there aren't a lot of choices here, and the choices are terrible at this moment.

There was a better choice here... don't put Willi Castro in the outfield. Especially given that he's really no better with the bat than Hill or Baddoo at this juncture

I don't think Willi Castro should be our starting left fielder from now on. I'm just not blind with rage that Hinch put him out there, not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times. I understand that Hinch was trying to do his best to juggle the garbage lineup he has to work with. No one agrees with me. That's fine. I don't care. I'll think what I think, and you don't have to like it if you don't want.

But hey, at least you guys got to score a lot of points off me. That was fun, right? 😅

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think Willi Castro should be our starting left fielder from now on. I'm just not blind with rage that Hinch put him out there, not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times. I understand that Hinch was trying to do his best to juggle the garbage lineup he has to work with. No one agrees with me. That's fine. I don't care. I'll think what I think, and you don't have to like it if you don't want.

But hey, at least you guys got to score a lot of points off me. That was fun, right? 😅

Lol, I actually agree with you, but not sure how much that helps your case😄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It's not about you, Chas. It's about being honest when AJ makes a mistake.

If Gardy did that, we'd all call a spade a spade. 

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBF, from personal experience they can be bad enough that you'd have hard time playing without taking something and once you did you might have a really hard time catching up to a 95mph fastball. For me even today with the newer options there is only one antihistamine which is strong enough to suppress my symptoms without making me at least a little drowsy. If Austin doesn't have anything that works that well for him I could understand it might be an issue.

If they're hiding something I'm not sure what the point would be, just IL him - you don't have to say why.

I am an allergy sufferer and with three different prescription drugs taken on a daily basis, if the pollen count is high enough does nothing for me and will leave me debilitated.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's not about you, Chas. It's about being honest when AJ makes a mistake.

If Gardy did that, we'd all call a spade a spade. 

So now I'm dishonest. Great. 😉

I don't blame Hinch for trying to work with the crap he's got.

Hinch is doing all he can and is desperate putting  Willie in left field. The fact he did it the next game after it cost us a game is proof of his desperation and bravery. I can’t be mad but sure don’t agree. But in the famous words of Tony Soprano “ what are ya gonna do “

I think that at some point, this crime of a season will require a body to be thrown to the mob. AA probably would be the easiest sacrifice to make.

I don't see this getting any better soon. You know it is bad when even Dan Petry was cracking and starting to criticize this team. The only thing to try is Clemens in a utility role and that would be a waste.

3 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

I think that at some point, this crime of a season will require a body to be thrown to the mob. AA probably would be the easiest sacrifice to make.

I don't see this getting any better soon. You know it is bad when even Dan Petry was cracking and starting to criticize this team. The only thing to try is Clemens in a utility role and that would be a waste.

I think utility is Clemens ultimate role anway, so it wouldn't be a waste to find out if he can handle that role.  Chances are he is another Castro, but it probably wouldn't hurt to give him a shot.    

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Hinch is doing all he can and is desperate putting  Willie in left field. The fact he did it the next game after it cost us a game is proof of his desperation and bravery. I can’t be mad but sure don’t agree. But in the famous words of Tony Soprano “ what are ya gonna do “

Put Baddoo in left and Hill in Center?

If you are gonna carry a backup outfielder on your team and, when a starter goes down with an illness, you turn to the emergency outfielder instead of the backup outfielder, what are we doing here exactly?

At that point, why not just option Baddoo and try someone else out? Bring up Kody Clemens?

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Put Baddoo in left and Hill in Center?

If you are gonna carry a backup outfielder on your team and, when a starter goes down with an illness, you turn to the emergency outfielder instead of the backup outfielder, what are we doing here exactly?

At that point, why not just option Baddoo and try someone else out? Bring up Kody Clemens?

because the computer says LEFT!/RIGHT!.  I'm as big as anyone on the importance of handedness in baseball. To this day I will never understand why DD didn't seem to care about it at all. But there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. One of the problems in working in complex systems is that you can easily start making mistakes based on measurement bias. We can measure platoon splits very accurately, Rdrs is kinda shaky, especially in less than a couple of seasons. So the temptation is strong to pay a lot of attention to what you measured and give shorter shrift to what you can't, even if on some level you realize it may be more important that you are giving it credit for. But you can answer your critiques by pointing at the numbers you have much easier than arguing your vague notions about the importance of what you have softer data about. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Don't worry.  I question Hinch's decisions all the time. 

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

because the computer says LEFT!/RIGHT!.  I'm as big as anyone on the importance of handedness in baseball. To this day I will never understand why DD didn't seem to care about it at all. But there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. One of the problems in working in complex systems is that you can easily start making mistakes based on measurement bias. We can measure platoon splits very accurately, Rdrs is kinda shaky, especially in less than a couple of seasons. So the temptation is strong to pay a lot of attention to what you measured and give shorter shrift to what you can't, even if on some level you realize it may be more important that you are giving it credit for. But you can answer your critiques by pointing at the numbers you have much easier than arguing your vague notions about the importance of what you have softer data about. 

Even factoring out advanced stats, just from a purely qualitative standpoint, Willi has played somewhere around 10 games or so in left field (mostly at the end of last year) and people recognized then that he was awful out there and took terrible routes. And yes, I know that quantitative analysis is preferable, but coming from an engineering background, qualitative analysis can greatly supplement quantitative analysis.

So, we have a guy on the bench who, for all intents and purposes, is an infielder who has barely played the outfield and hasn't been good while doing it. And we have another guy who, while not the best defensive outfielder in the world, has always played the position and is passable in route running in left field. Neither one is very good with the bat at the moment.

The fact that we are playing the infielder with a. 600 OPS in that situation over the outfielder and people are here defending that decision (even after the misplay that cost them Friday's game!) is crazy to me. I dont get it... and I'm skeptical that if Gardy or Ausmus or any other former manager were making that kinda decision that people would defend it.

Edited by mtutiger

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I guess I'm not clear on what Hinch is doing that's making them lose ballgames, whereas a neutral manager would not have lost them ballgames.

Some of us aren’t sure how Hinch exuded power over the whole organization last season, but that’s what some folks kept blathering about.

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess I'm glad I just got back. If we have 5 starting pitchers (Rodriguez, Pineda, Faedo, Skubal, Brieske=5?) and the DH isn't until Tuesday why are we doing a BP day today?

I couldn’t really understand this, either.  I mean, they’ve got, what, 25 uninjured pitchers on the 40, some with options, and they’re dicking around a bullpen game?  I suppose it probably doesn’t matter with the impotent offense, but it’s still confusing.

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

8-19. Is this is the most shocking start to a Tigers season in my lifetime (B.1967)? I’d say yes. 

When was the thread of 1,000 runs at the old place?  Was that 2008?  That season was pretty disappointing right out of the gate.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I know, anecdotes. I get it. If you don't like Willi out there, then get Willi out of there. I don't care.

Let's put Baddoo in left and Hill in center, and then we can blame Hinch for running terrible hitters out there every game. It's all in good fun.

If people want to blame Hinch for driving this team into last place because he tried Willi in left for 33 innings, that's fine, go ahead. All I'm saying is, I don't agree that Hinch is the main reason we're 8-19. I think it's mainly the roster. If I stand alone on that opinion, that's fine, then I'll stand alone on it. I'm used to that. 😁

All of the fault lies with the Yankees intentionally walking Cabrera.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think utility is Clemens ultimate role anway, so it wouldn't be a waste to find out if he can handle that role.  Chances are he is another Castro, but it probably wouldn't hurt to give him a shot.    

I honestly don't know what Willi brings that either Kody Clemens or Zach Short dont, other than being a switch hitter and Clemens not being a shortstop. 

I'd rather they really try something new and bring up Clemens for that role. He may not work out, but we know what we have in Willi and it isn't very good. The roster clearly needs a shakeup, and Clemens has earned a look based on his play in Toledo 

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I honestly don't know what Willi brings that either Kody Clemens or Zach Short dont, other than being a switch hitter and Clemens not being a shortstop. 

I'd rather they really try something new and bring up Clemens for that role. He may not work out, but we know what we have in Willi and it isn't very good. The roster clearly needs a shakeup, and Clemens has earned a look based on his play in Toledo 

Clemens is already 26 years old and has a .806 OPS in over 500 PAs at AAA.  What are they waiting for?  Is it about learning other defensive positions?

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Clemens is already 26 years old and has a .806 OPS in over 500 PAs at AAA.  What are they waiting for?  Is it about learning other defensive positions?

He's also already on the 40-man roster, so they wouldn't have to expose anyone to waivers.