5/10 1:10 Tigers @ A's Game #1

Tigeraholic1

42 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

What is the obsession with Willie Castro ? is Avila forcing this issue from above or has Hinch given up ? How do you play someone and make excuses in advance for their play ? He obviously knows he does not belong out there. 

Isn't Harold Castro a better outfielder than Willie ? And why have they given up on Haase in the outfield..not that he is good but he's better than WC. 

If you want the bat then why not DH and let Meadows play the field ? 

My guess is that it's a joint venture between the two.... but that it makes sense that Hinch would like the idea of Willi Castro as well.

From the Hinch perspective, the love affair with Willi Castro makes a lot of sense when you remember the role that Marwin Gonzalez played on all those winning Houston teams he had in the late '10s.... at least at the time anyway, Marwin could get you a solid .700-.800 range OPS with very good defense at any number of positions.

At least in theory, Willi could be that guy.... except for the fact that he isn't good at defense and has generally been not good with the bat since the COVID 2020 year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ive heard that it can be more difficult gauging flyballs in mlb parks due to the upper levels of seating so maybe Ill give him some leeway there but still it baffles me how a big league player isn't capable of tracking flyballs correctly. I only played through HS and by JV level virtually everybody I played with or against could do it, by Varsity you very rarely ever seen somebody not track one right yet a major leaguer who is supposed to be the best of the best can't do it. It's crazy to me. 

The effect of ballparks on depth perception is a real thing. I was in an adult hardball league and we played a championship at the Schaumburg Flyers stadium, which is configure like a professional ballpark in a way our regular ballparks were not. The backstop was way deeper behind the plate then I was used to and while standing in left field, I was having trouble adjusting to the look. 

Just now, Tigerbomb13 said:

Why are the Tigers batting first at home? New double header rule?

Skubal needs to pitch a shutout for us to be in this one. Montas is in another league than this offense. 

make up game.  only way to fit it in the schedule.  its a home game for oakland.

2 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Why are the Tigers batting first at home? New double header rule?

Skubal needs to pitch a shutout for us to be in this one. Montas is in another league than this offense. 

Because of the changes to the schedule due to the lockout, they had to move one of the games from Oakland to here. 

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

What is the obsession with Willie Castro ? is Avila forcing this issue from above or has Hinch given up ? How do you play someone and make excuses in advance for their play ? He obviously knows he does not belong out there. 

Isn't Harold Castro a better outfielder than Willie ? And why have they given up on Haase in the outfield..not that he is good but he's better than WC. 

If you want the bat then why not DH and let Meadows play the field ? 

I think were just running up against logistics here.

We have two games today. Austin Meadows is DH in game one. Grossman and Hill play their usual outfield slots.

Beyond the rest of the starting lineup we have Tork, Miggy, Haase and Willi, and neither Tork or Miggy are playing left. That means either Willi or Haase in left.

Barnhart is catching game one, which means he’s not catching game two. The only other catcher on the team is Haase, and they’re not going to play Haase in game one in left if they’re planning to have him catch in game two.

That leaves Willi as the only option for left in game one.

It’s the limitation of the roster especially if 15 of your 27-man roster is pitching. 

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think were just running up against logistics here.

We have two games today. Austin Meadows is DH in game one. Grossman and Hill play their usual outfield slots.

Beyond the rest of the starting lineup we have Tork, Miggy, Haase and Willi, and neither Tork or Miggy are playing left. That means either Willi or Haase in left.

Barnhart is catching game one, which means he’s not catching game two. The only other catcher on the team is Haase, and they’re not going to play Haase in game one in left if they’re planning to have him catch in game two.

That leaves Willi as the only option for left in game one.

It’s the limitation of the roster especially if 15 of your 17-man roster is pitching. 

They didn't have to replace Baddoo on the roster with a relief pitcher.  I don't know who's decision that was, but it was the wrong one.

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

They didn't have to replace Baddoo on the roster with a relief pitcher.  I don't know who's decision that was, but it was the wrong one.

I sort of get it because of the double header.... just a lot of games in a short period. Although Pineda doing what he did yesterday makes it look less necessary in hindsight.