5/10 1:10 Tigers @ A's Game #1

Tigeraholic1

• Tigeraholic1 changed the title to 5/10 1:10 Tigers @ A's Game #1

I had the chance to be in a suite today for both games but had to decline.  It's weird because I donate to my company's PAC and that's where it came from...... but I can't take off work in order to do it.  I also have the game in my regular package for both.  Isn't one of them a road game?  That's probably why they are able to give us both games.  one ticket for both.  My son is going.

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe AJ/Al are conspiring to make us feel better about Willi in LF?

I have my doubts that the lack of an adolescence spent conditioning your still plastic visual-perceptual hardware/software chasing fly balls can be made up by some early work before a few games as an adult, but sure, that pig *could* fly.

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe AJ/Al are conspiring to make us feel better about Willi in LF?

Here I thought that the big leagues were for the best professionals to use their skills earned from years of  hard  work.  Now Hinch is saying to be patient as Willi is just learning - while he leaves real OF on the bench.  I can't beleive I've had it wrong for so long!  I've lost about all faith in Hinch. 

51 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Did Willi's dad hit him hundreds of fly balls when he was 10?  Didn’t think so.

Did he throw the ball up on the roof over and over and catch it as it fell off?  Did he get yelled at when he practiced line drives and grounders by throwing the ball hard against the garage?  How many times did he climb a ladder to retrieve balls stuck in the gutter?  

What is the obsession with Willie Castro ? is Avila forcing this issue from above or has Hinch given up ? How do you play someone and make excuses in advance for their play ? He obviously knows he does not belong out there. 

Isn't Harold Castro a better outfielder than Willie ? And why have they given up on Haase in the outfield..not that he is good but he's better than WC. 

If you want the bat then why not DH and let Meadows play the field ? 

Ive heard that it can be more difficult gauging flyballs in mlb parks due to the upper levels of seating so maybe Ill give him some leeway there but still it baffles me how a big league player isn't capable of tracking flyballs correctly. I only played through HS and by JV level virtually everybody I played with or against could do it, by Varsity you very rarely ever seen somebody not track one right yet a major leaguer who is supposed to be the best of the best can't do it. It's crazy to me. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ive heard that it can be more difficult gauging flyballs in mlb parks due to the upper levels of seating so maybe Ill give him some leeway there but still it baffles me how a big league player isn't capable of tracking flyballs correctly. I only played through HS and by JV level virtually everybody I played with or against could do it, by Varsity you very rarely ever seen somebody not track one right yet a major leaguer who is supposed to be the best of the best can't do it. It's crazy to me. 

If you are good enough from early age to be a short stop, and you don't actually spend the time playing around in the OF also, you will miss that development. It's odd, there is a hierarchy of difficulty in playing the positions around the diamond, but just because you can play a harder one doesn't necessarily mean you can play an easier one, sometimes there is just a hole in your skill set when you reach adulthood, and some skills are harder to develop as an adult. So on one side you have Robin Yount or even Don Kelly who could play anywhere well. OTOH, Schoop is a very good 2b. 1b is 'easier' to play but he is a terrible 1b. Now I would say that since it's mostly footwork, given the time, Schoop has a much higher chance of becoming a good 1b than Willi has of becoming a good OF. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1