Religion

Tigermojo

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Seriously, one of the biggest steps in writing a book is to get all your ideas written down even if they are they are not organized and edited yet.  It sounds like that is what you have done.  

Yes, I have done this.

The science fiction novel I've worked on the most?

"The Sins of Eden".

Eden, as in the Planet Eden.

Edited by 1984Echoes

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

They are brain activity experts.

G2 is a chemical engineer, if I have that correct.

G2 is chasing a ghost, that does not exist, by trying to force chemical engineering into human biochemistry and neural evolution. 

He is not correct.

There are a lot more brain activity experts that agree, not just psychologists.

You need to check on your smell test there...

Sorry.

They are not brain activity experts, that would be more a neuroscientist. 

16 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

They ARE brain experts.

Yes, neuroscientists are also brain experts.

But do you believe psychologists, especially RESEARCH psychologists... have NOT studied encephelograms, MRI's, or any other brain study on neural activity, neural net patterns, speech and memory sections of the brain, or even conducted those tests or studies themselves, in order to study their OWN field and all of the issues, idiosyncrasies, etc... of how the human mind works?

I mean, seriously... think about that for a sec...

(Sorry about the all-caps... but I'm still emphasizing key words or key issues, as is my habit...).

23 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

But also...

If you wanted to emphasize neuroscientists only...

They'll have the same studies. 

But also...

It won't be only them benefiting.

It will be psychologists, behavioral therapists, speech therapists (especially after a brain injury), neurosurgeons... as well as those neuroscientists...

I'm just sayin'...

5 hours ago, pfife said:

I apologize if this was covered already but is it really the case that science cannot answer what caused the big bang? I get that it hasn't yet but why is it not possible in the future?

It's more the problem of the logical regression. In the current cosmology, the big bang is the beginning of time. You both can't but can't help ask "What came before."  No matter how many levels you regress on that the question just re-appears again at the next level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's more the problem of the logical regression. In the current cosmology, the big bang is the beginning of time. You both can't but can't help ask "What came before."  No matter how many levels you regress on that the question just re-appears again at the next level.

That is why I always go back to Athiesm is a type of religion based on "Theory". They have "faith" that someday sceince will prove it to be fact. Show me anywhere in science that nothing created something.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, pfife said:

I clearly asked if it was possible science could explain the cause of the big bang, not that science will explain it.  But go off, revisionist. 

Sceince has a theory of what caused it. That is why it is still referred to as "THE BIG BANG THEORY". 

Edited by Tigeraholic1

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: Scientists have created anti-matter particles FYI, for an instant, out of thin air or, "nothing". Just for an instant until they contact a particle of matter and then evaporate... but it's been done.

I'd have to go search for that test/ study... this is just off the top of my head...

There are many naturally occurring radioactive elements that produce positrons when they decay - they just annihilate themselves pretty quickly. They have a machine at CERN that can generate anti-protons.

20 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

YES! The theory is she will get over it and you get to enjoy the finished product and all of its glory. 

My Mom annoys me every year by putting up all her Christmas decorations, including about 300 Santa's (dolls, wood, wall hangings, brass, etc., etc.)...

BEFORE Thanksgiving.

"C'mon mom, could you just WAIT until after Thanksgiving, and THEN put all this up...? Please?"

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

My Mom annoys me every year by putting up all her Christmas decorations, including about 300 Santa's (dolls, wood, wall hangings, brass, etc., etc.)...

BEFORE Thanksgiving.

"C'mon mom, could you just WAIT until after Thanksgiving, and THEN put all this up...? Please?"

That is my wife! She even found a loop hole to put the tree up in the front window in October and puts orange lights on it and calls it the Halloween tree. It stay up until Feb..............

47 minutes ago, pfife said:

I clearly asked if it was possible science could explain the cause of the big bang, not that science will explain it.  But go off, revisionist. 

But then it wouldn’t be the Big Bang would it?  It represents a beginning. 

Team Science - The big bang is how the universe was created and he's the evidence that supports our beliefs.

Team God - God created the universe and we don't have to provide even a shred of evidence to back up our beliefs.

This thread is just comical at this point.  

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

If I were to write a novel, "Third Universe", I would write it under the assumptions that the "Universe" has no beginning, and no end, a

"Steady State" was probably the prevailing theory for most of civilization. The discovery of the cosmic background radiation and the Hubble constant for red-shift blew up the possibility of Steady State. I suppose the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics argues against SS as well, but so few people (including scientists!) know anything about Thermo it probably doesn't have much traction in any other field....:classic_tongue:

3 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Team Science - The big bang is how the universe was created and he's the evidence that supports our beliefs.

Team God - God created the universe and we don't have to provide even a shred of evidence to back up our beliefs.

This thread is just comical at this point.  

That’s why it’s called faith. If there was evidence then it would be called something else. Faith and reason are mutually exclusive and answer different questions and serve different purposes.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

That’s why it’s called faith. If there was evidence then it would be called something else. Faith and reason are mutually exclusive and answer different questions and serve different purposes.  

Kant wrote a great treatise arguing that you couldn't resolve transcendental questions via empirical knowledge (Critique of Pure Reason), but then later shot his philosophical standing with posterity in the foot by trying to make an exception to his own prior conclusions in an attempt to prove the existence of God with some logical jujitsu starting from the Golden Rule (Critique of Practical Reason).

The first work is pretty famous. You never hear much about the second. 😉

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

But what you're attempting to do is equate the two as if they are somehow equally as valid.  People dismiss scientific evidence with faith and then walk away as if they've won the debate.  Simple fact here, all of the evidence points to one side being right and the other being wrong.  If people want to bury their head in the sand, that's their right, but I just wish they would stop being so confident in their ignorance.