Religion

Tigermojo

I have been slowly grinding my way through this Ian Toll book about the War in the Pacific (Twilight of the Gods).  I mentioned it before.  So, another religious reference which might be amusing to all.

The Kamikaze attacks on the US task forces covering the landings on Okinawa were incredibly persistent and deadly.  They had been almost a constant state of danger for the naval forces since Mid-March and by mid May 1945 everyone was at their physical, emotional and psychological limits.   Toll, describes exactly how fatigued and stressed the crews of aircraft and AA batteries were by the second month of this.  Apparently Admiral Jocko Clark of TF 58.1 was so weary of the strain on the air crew that he sent this out to the crews of his TF "see Hebrews chapter 13, verse 8"

Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever.

I snorted when I read that.  Good profane use of language to describe the situation.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 3:08 PM, MIguy said:

But hey, you enjoy church this weekend, be sure to try the grape juice and crackers.  I used to love those when my parents would force me to go to church with them when I was 12. 

On 12/8/2023 at 8:52 PM, 1984Echoes said:

I was an atheist by the age of 11.

image.jpeg.b8436517dfb8a6b1722e5f74ad1e5511.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I try to avoid hero worship and giving someone deity like status. But man do I miss this guy and what an intellect he was. There was no one quite like Christopher Hitchens. His sharp whit and use of the English language were like no one else I've heard before. His poignant views on religion and sharp critiques of it were unlike anyone else's. Maybe that means I just need to listen to and ready from more people than just Hitchens. But I've found myself thinking about him and watching his commentary a lot this past week.

24 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I try to avoid hero worship and giving someone deity like status. But man do I miss this guy and what an intellect he was. There was no one quite like Christopher Hitchens. His sharp whit and use of the English language were like no one else I've heard before. His poignant views on religion and sharp critiques of it were unlike anyone else's. Maybe that means I just need to listen to and ready from more people than just Hitchens. But I've found myself thinking about him and watching his commentary a lot this past week.

Not for nothing but he and George Orwell were both razor sharp and both died too young.  Hitchens did some great essays on Orwell. 

6 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Barry Goldwater is tossing in his grave

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

Barry Goldwater

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 1:12 PM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Listen, My guy.... Sceintist still have the opinion that BB is a theory yes or no? Religon is a theory no? I have tried to respectable. I am not here tearing anyones theory down. Respect my opinon and as you see I respect yours. Geez......

I know I am very late to this and this may have been pointed out, but your idea of what a scientific theory is seems to be incorrect.  A scientific theory is something that is based on well substantiated group of facts.  It has repeatedly been shown to be in compliance with those facts and is considered to be true. It would seem you are confusing theory with hypothesis.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, boilerfan said:

I know I am very late to this and this may have been pointed out, but your idea of what a scientific theory is seems to be incorrect.  A scientific theory is something that is based on well substantiated group of facts.  It has repeatedly been shown to be in compliance with those facts and is considered to be true. It would seem you are confusing theory with hypothesis.

Yeah I really don't care what you think. But thanks for checking I guess?

On 6/9/2022 at 4:11 PM, smr-nj said:

Btw, having a “Religion” thread is a truly awful idea.

I apologize for responding. That was just stupid.

I won’t lock the thread, but it just seems like a no-brainer.

The above is the ninth comment recorded in this thread. There hasn’t been a better comment here since. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2024 at 3:32 PM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Yeah I really don't care what you think. But thanks for checking I guess?

Wasn't checking on anything just telling you you are wrong about what a scientific theory is.

12 minutes ago, boilerfan said:

Wasn't checking on anything just telling you you are wrong about what a scientific theory is.

Well thank you Einstein. I will be sure to update my moral compass.  #boilerup!

Edited by Tigeraholic1

On 3/1/2024 at 12:54 PM, boilerfan said:

Evidence

This is an interesting thought line that atheists often take. I say look around. If you see a building, you know someone created it. You probably never saw it being built or designed but you can see it so it is natural to think it was created and that it didn’t come out of nothing. 

I think it takes WAY more faith to believe that everything we know of was just created from nothing and yet we know that matter can neither be created or destroyed. 

I look at something like an eye and how it works and have to wonder how people can think there was not some intelligent design behind it. That it came from nothing. If there is anything that should be scoffed at, it’s the silly notion that all of this…all that is seen and unseen…came from nothing. 

But you do you. 

• Like 1