6/15 1:10 White Sox @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I wonder how much improved play among stalled prospects (Wenceel Perez comes to mind) could reflect on new hires or whether that is just an age thing.

It’s possible it’s the new hires, sure.

I guess I’m not saying the newer folks should be swept out, but a new GM were brought in to replace Avila and wanted to clean house, is it the worst thing in the world.

Just now, casimir said:

It’s possible it’s the new hires, sure.

I guess I’m not saying the newer folks should be swept out, but a new GM were brought in to replace Avila and wanted to clean house, is it the worst thing in the world.

As mentioned earlier, you get into a situation where you have, for the past 9 mo or so, people who are instituting new programs / philosophies that didn't exist in this org before. One imagine that it is not easy to do... it's not unlike an NFL team switching D coordinators and schemes.

If you sweep all of those people out, you start from scratch; you basically lose a year or so of a new team instituting their philosophy to get back to where you started. Maybe that doesn't seem like much in the grand scheme of things, but the pedigree and track records of Garko, Ribas, Stroop, etc. etc. seem solid and they come from winning pedigrees.

I'm not an expert, but they seem worth keeping around on their record and merit alone, let alone the fact that the place the Tigers find themselves does not fall on them.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

As mentioned earlier, you get into a situation where you have, for the past 9 mo or so, people who are instituting new programs / philosophies that didn't exist in this org before. One imagine that it is not easy to do... it's not unlike an NFL team switching D coordinators and schemes.

If you sweep all of those people out, you start from scratch; you basically lose a year or so of a new team instituting their philosophy to get back to where you started. Maybe that doesn't seem like much in the grand scheme of things, but the pedigree and track records of Garko, Ribas, Stroop, etc. etc. seem solid and they come from winning pedigrees.

I'm not an expert, but they seem worth keeping around on their record and merit alone, let alone the fact that the place the Tigers find themselves does not fall on them.

Yeah, that would be dependent upon the new GM/president.  I would imagine the balance of the baseball season would be an evaluation for most folks.

Gosh, this season just sucks out loud.

9 minutes ago, raind said:

I never thought I would see a big league team resorting to using position players to pitch, why don't they just call mercy? for crying out loud.

Nope.  These are the big leagues.  These are professionals.  Play it out.