Grant traded to Portland

RandyMarsh

Could we get Ayton and take on a contract like Heyward? I know everybody is against the idea of Ayton and I can't say I particularly am fond of the idea either but if we don't have to get up any real future assets for him in the sign and trade I don't exactly hate the idea of getting him if it still allows us to have space to pick up an extra 1st or 2 in another trade.

Yeah I know his flaws and I know he isn't worth a max but really what's the alternative? Just let the space go to waste or use it on a bunch of Mason Plumlees? He will certainly make us better the next couple years and us being competitive is big if we don't want Cade leaving for greener pastures. 

52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Admittedly, I don’t follow NBA as closely as most of the board regs, so can someone explain why Ayton is the one to build the franchise around with Cade.   

This league is moving away from the physical center that can rebound and be a defensive anchor.   I just don’t see him as a max player.   He doesn’t have that valuable of a skill set that you see in max centers like Jokic, Embiid, or a healthy Anthony Davis.   He doesn’t really provide any offensive except right around the basket    What are some of the things that people like about him to want to make him a key part of the franchise future?  

to be positive, the pistons need a shot blocking big, preferably one who can roll to the basket and even shoot a mid range jumper.  that's ayton.  he's young.  he should improve and be a fit in that respect next to cade.  we saw bagley improve offensively when next to cade, but bagley plays zero defense and ayton plays some.

to be negative, big fives are growing obsolete, especially in the playoffs when teams go five out.  only centers who can move laterally (like williams for boston or looney for golden state) or guys who are deadeye three ball shooters like horford or unicorns like embiid can stay on the floor in today's small ball shooting age.  ayton was a non factor when dallas went small.  also, there are lots of rumors about him being lazy and more concerned with his ability to score in nba2k than in the actual nba.

for the pistons, he would be an upgrade on stew, but at a big cost in dollars and potentially assets, as he is a restricted free agent and phoenix could match the piatons offer or extort players and/or picks from detroit.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Admittedly, I don’t follow NBA as closely as most of the board regs, so can someone explain why Ayton is the one to build the franchise around with Cade.  

Pu-lease. We've already been through 10 yrs of teams of big men that can't shoot. That was torture enough.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

someday i want to find someone who looks at me the way JEIII looks at troy weaver.

lol yeah he definitely gives Weaver the benefit of the doubt but what I noticed more with him is that he basically likes to be the contrarian to what all the fans tweet to him. Like if all the fans tweeted how great this move was he would have had a different tone and made it sound like a bad trade. Still love him though. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Could we get Ayton and take on a contract like Heyward? I know everybody is against the idea of Ayton and I can't say I particularly am fond of the idea either but if we don't have to get up any real future assets for him in the sign and trade I don't exactly hate the idea of getting him if it still allows us to have space to pick up an extra 1st or 2 in another trade.

Yeah I know his flaws and I know he isn't worth a max but really what's the alternative? Just let the space go to waste or use it on a bunch of Mason Plumlees? He will certainly make us better the next couple years and us being competitive is big if we don't want Cade leaving for greener pastures. 

If they renounce everyone and actually go with that $56M in cap space number.  They could do both with some maneuvering.

First year for Ayton at the max on a $122M salary cap is $30M.  So you are down to $26M which is inside the 25% window of Haywards $30M, but probably not after the Pistons draft someone #5.  So you would have to throw in some salary filler to Charlotte.  But their entire reason to move Hayward is to open up cap space, so they probably don't want salary back.  Or maybe sending out $30M and getting about $5M back is fine with them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

No kidding. That was some pristine turd polishing by Edwards. The return was weak, there's just no getting around that.

we go from "look how amazing troy is for signing an all-star/olympian grant" to "he totally got more than houston did for wood because they got all those second round picks and didnt have to take back salary!"

33 minutes ago, NYLion said:

James Edwards tweeted that the Pistons will be heavily pursuing Ayton. I trust Edwards way more than whoever this random twitter guy is.

That dude is not a random Twitter guy FWIW.

Im also OK with pursuing Ayton. I don’t hate the idea. You can sign him and still be flexible. 

Edited by TP_Fan

The return was below expectations, particularly when we heard Portland was interested and we started pipe dreaming about getting the 8th pick but it's hard to say if it was weak in general. I mean we've been saying all year how we don't want Grant, how we play better without him and how just the thought of resigning him sent chills up everybody's spine. Now we expect teams to give up any real value for that player?

If you were a GM of another team what would you have given for 1 year of control of him and the possible rights to give him a massive extension? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Im also OK with pursuing Ayton. I don’t hate the idea. You can sign him and still be flexible. 

There is a reason he's going to command a lot of money right? He's gotta add something to the table I'd assume........ (I don't know jack about the NBA but most of time big guys that get paid I'm assuming do something semi-well....)

5 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Ok, I'll take your word for it. I just know Edwards as being one of the most plugged in media guys so I hold his opinion in high regard.

I do wonder why they made this trade a day before the draft (I'm pretty sure there wasn't a lot of urgency to close the 46th to 36th pick portion of the deal) so perhaps Weaver is looking to add draft capital by absorbing a contract. This trade sure made the next week or so a lot more interesting if nothing else.

I think the real mistake was not trading him at the deadline the first year he was here. I guess we don't know what teams offered cause they may have been skeptical of his great start here but he indeed looked and played like a really good player that first half of the season.  I think Weaver hoped that he could continue that play the rest of the season and perhaps got a better offer in the offseason. Unfortunately he reverted back to his inefficient self after that and cratered his trade value. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

11 minutes ago, Hart said:

I just think it’s poor judgement not to have some kind of clause to net a future first rounder if that pick ends up in the top 4.

Normally when a pick doesn't convey due to protections you end up getting 2nd rounders instead.  Our pick that we traded to Houston (Now OKC) is heavily protected.  If we don't send it to them by 2027 then we send them a second round pick instead.

Kevin Pelton of ESPN gave us an A- for the trade. Outside of the aforementioned Hayward he also brought up the possibility of taking on Westbrook from the Lakers. Not sure about the future but I know LAL doesn't have a 1st this year, do they have any young talent that would make it worth are while to pick up that contract?

37 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Ok, I'll take your word for it. I just know Edwards as being one of the most plugged in media guys so I hold his opinion in high regard.

I do wonder why they made this trade a day before the draft (I'm pretty sure there wasn't a lot of urgency to close the 46th to 36th pick portion of the deal) so perhaps Weaver is looking to add draft capital by absorbing a contract. This trade sure made the next week or so a lot more interesting if nothing else.

Portland might have wanted it done before the draft.  Grant in the bag gives then more clarity on what direction to go with #7.