Grant traded to Portland

RandyMarsh

It is pretty fair value.  That Bucks pick will most likely be somewhere in the 20's. 

Don't forget.  Grants 3PT% is 35% the last two years, below league average.  His TS% the last two years is 55%, right at league average.  You were never getting a lottery pick for him.  He basically was traded for what Wood was just traded for, which is about right.

My first reaction to this trade isn't favorable, but if you told me that no other teams were going to give us anything and it was this or sign Grant to a 4/120M deal, I suppose I'd take this.

Very curious to see what is done with this cap space. I really don't want another Charlie V + Ben Gordon offseason where we overpay for a bunch of middling players just because we have the money and it's a weak free agent class. And yes, I'm talking about Ayton (max), Bridges (max), Brunson 25+M), or Sexton (20+M) - none of them are worth those contracts.

• Like 1

Just now, Deleterious said:

Rumors are that Charlotte want's to send out Hayward for cap space.  They are willing to attach picks to him and hold the #13 and #15 pick this year.  The Pistons now have the cap space to do it without sending anything to Charlotte if they so desire.

This is the kind of other move that, in my completely uneducated opinion, is going to occur.

4 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

My first reaction to this trade isn't favorable, but if you told me that no other teams were going to give us anything and it was this or sign Grant to a 4/120M deal, I suppose I'd take this.

Very curious to see what is done with this cap space. I really don't want another Charlie V + Ben Gordon offseason where we overpay for a bunch of middling players just because we have the money and it's a weak free agent class. And yes, I'm talking about Ayton (max), Bridges (max), Brunson 25+M), or Sexton (20+M) - none of them are worth those contracts.

Screenshot_20220622-173729_Twitter.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Rumors are that Charlotte want's to send out Hayward for cap space.  They are willing to attach picks to him and hold the #13 and #15 pick this year.  The Pistons now have the cap space to do it without sending anything to Charlotte if they so desire.

This is my hope. That it was done to clear space to acquire contracts that will get us pick(s) and kick the cap space down the road a bit while our young guys develop.

11 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Hayward has two years left on his deal at $30M/$31M.  He would actually be somewhat useful for Detroit since he will shoot 40% from three.  But he just isn't healthy enough to be counted on.

Also not sure how attractive #13 and #15 are this year.

I'd probably do it just for one of the picks but if we could get both it would be awfully hard to say no to even in this draft. I like guys like Jalen Duren and Jalen Williams who both could potentially be available there. If we could get them two and say Mathurin/Murray at 5 that would be a great haul.imo 

Edited by RandyMarsh

i find it hard to imagine weaver doing some smart asset management by taking other team's bad contracts to obtain draft capital.  all he does is burn cap space and draft picks to get his guys.

if he does get capital, great!  thats what he should do.  i hope we dont end up with brunson and ayton in am attempt to max space on cade's rookie deal and win 40 games next year.

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'd probably do it just for one of the picks but if we could get both it would be awfully hard to say no to even in this draft. I like guys like Jalen Duren and Jalen Williams who both could potentially be available there. If we could get them two and say Mathurin/Murray at 5 that would be a great haul.imo 

I like both of them as well so you are probably right in doing the deal.  I also think there is a small chance Sharpe is there at 13.

If we grab Hayward and let's say pick 13 from Charlotte, then this immediately becomes a really good move.

Grant for:

Pick #13
mid-20s 2025 1st round pick
36 instead of 47 in this year's draft
Hayward
2026 2nd round pick

Is a solid haul.

Edited by Betrayer
  • Like 2